Season 1899/00

The first Queen's Park event of season 1899/00 was the club's annual confined sports on Tuesday 15 August 1899. The sports, restricted to members of the club, attracted a large number of entries and a sizeable attendance.

Although Queen's official season would not commence until the end of the month, a Spiders' eleven played a match against Celtic at Broomfield Park in Airdrie on Tuesday 22 August. The match was for the benefit of the widow and children of Airdrieonians goalkeeper James Connor, who had also played for Queen's Park on occasion. Both sides were far from full strength. Queen's started well but their shooting was poor and Isaac Doran and Alex King gave Celtic a 2-0 lead at half-time. The Spiders fought back after the break and the match ended in a 3-3 draw. The second half scorers are not known. The match raised £40 for James Connor's family.

On Saturday 26 August, a mixed Queen's Park side travelled to Stirling to meet King's Park at that club's new ground Forthbank Park. The Spiders gave an attractive display in a 6-2 victory.

Queen's Park's first official game of the season came on Saturday 2 September 1899 with the visit of Ayrshire amateur side Ayr Parkhouse to Hampden Park. The match attracted a crowd of only around 1,500 but those who did turn out saw plenty of goals, with Queen's winning 9-5. The view expressed by the Daily Record on the large number of goals was that "the inflated score may be attributed almost entirely to the utter weakness of both custodians." Queen's led 6-0 at the interval, with goals from Bob McColl (2), David Wilson, W Smith, William Stewart and Tom Kennedy. In the second half, Ayr Parkhouse pulled three goals back through Crerar (2) and Dunsmuir. Wilson and McColl then made the score 8-3. Two Long goals followed for Parkhouse, before Bob McColl sealed victory for the Spiders with his fourth goal of the game. The William Stewart who scored for Queen's was not International winger Willie Stewart but a former Motherwell and Rangers outside right of the same name.

The Spiders' goalkeeping weakness, referred to in the Daily Record report, was to plague the club for the entire season. Dr W C Watt, seen as successor to Kenny Anderson in goal, would be unable to play much, if at all. Top class goalkeepers, willing to play as amateurs, were thin on the ground.

On Saturday 9 September, Arbroath were visitors to Hampden Park. Once again, the attendance was poor, with only around 1,500 in the ground. These fixtures against non-league clubs were not proving popular with spectators. Queen's Park won 6-2. The Spiders' scorers were Kennedy (2), McColl (2), Stewart and Wilson. The Red Lichties' goals came from Brown or Sinclair and Thomson.

A week later, Queen's Park had their first competitive match of the season. The occasion was a Glasgow Cup first round tie with Clyde before a modest crowd at Hampden Park. Playing against the sun and wind, Queen's were on the defensive initially but took the lead through Willie Stewart in a breakaway. Shortly afterwards, Tom Wingate drew the sides level. Clyde had the better of the play for the remainder of the half but the score remained 1-1 at the interval. In an even and hotly-contested second half, there was only one further goal and it was Queen's Park that got it. David Wilson was the scorer with a smart shot. Bob McColl then missed a penalty kick but it did not prove crucial and Queen's moved on to the second round of the competition with a 2-1 victory.

On Monday 25 September, Queen's Park faced their toughest test of the season so far when they met Liverpool at Hampden Park. There was an attendance of 5,000 on a miserable afternoon. The visitors were missing four regulars and Queen's Park were also understrength. The Spiders made a good start to the game and, after Bob McColl went very close, Tom Bowie gave them the lead with a shot that Bill Perkins in the Liverpool goal just failed to save. The visitors came close to equalising but the score remained 1-0 at the interval. Play was fairly even in the second half and chances were created at both ends. There was, however, only one more goal and it was something of a fluke. Liverpool defender Robert McLaren hit a clearance against Tom Bowie and the ball bounced into the net to give Queen's a 2-0 lead. Torrential rain then came down and the game was ended early.

At a meeting of the Committee of the SFA on Tuesday 26 September, three Queen's Park players - Archie Swann, T H Cochrane and Sam Graham - were suspended for a month for violation of the close season rules. The SFA had decreed that the football season began on Tuesday 15 August and the three young Queen's Park lads had played in Rothesay during the summer holidays.

Scottish Qualifying Cup holders East Stirlingshire were visitors to Hampden Park on Saturday 30 September. A crowd of 1,400 on a stormy day saw Queen's Park stroll to a 6-0 victory. Goals from Tom Bowie (2) and David Wilson gave Queen's a 3-0 at the interval. Early in the second half, East Stirlingshire were awarded a penalty kick but James Johnston's effort went harmlessly past the post. Bob McColl then struck a hat trick to seal a convincing victory.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park met Dumbarton at Boghead Park. Queen's led 1-0 at the interval (scorer unknown) but the home side then took the lead through Fullarton and Johnston. However, David Wilson struck twice to give the Spiders a 3-2 win. Veteran full back Bob Smellie turned out for Queen's and played a solid game.

It was Glasgow Cup second round day on Saturday 14 October and Queen's Park's opponents were Glasgow University. The match attracted a crowd of 1,500 to Kelburn Park in Maryhill. John Gillespie and Alex Christie made their first appearances of the season for the Spiders. The students played well in the first half but Queen's Park led 2-0 at the break with goals from David Wilson and Tom Kennedy. Despite an uneven pitch, Queen's dominated the second period and further goals from Tom Bowie, Alex Christie, Tom Kennedy and Bob McColl (2) secured a 7-0 victory.

On Saturday 21 October, Queen's Park made the trip to Kilsyth for a friendly match with Kilsyth Wanderers. This was seen as an acknowledgment of Wanderers' willingness to forego home advantage in the cup tie in the previous season. A crowd of around 400 saw Queen's miss numerous opportunities in the first half and there was no scoring at the interval. It was a different story in the second period and the game ended in a 6-1 victory for Queen's Park. The scorers are not known.

Whereas Queen's Park did not have to extend themselves at Kilsyth, this was far from the case on the following Saturday when the Spiders faced Rangers at Ibrox Park in the semi-final of the Glasgow Cup. There was a very satisfactory attendance of over 17,000 despite heavy rain and a strong wind. The Queen's Park team was - William Paterson; David Stewart and Archie Swann; James Irons, Alex Christie and James Templeton; Willie Stewart, David Wilson, Bob McColl, Tom Bowie and Robert Lambie. Queen's held their own against the wind in the first half and led 3-2 at the interval. Rangers took an early lead through a John Wilkie header. Bob McColl equalised with a brilliant shot but, immediately afterwards, Bob Hamilton restored the Light Blues' advantage. McColl then scored with another terrific effort and Tom Kennedy put Queen's 3-2 ahead. In the early minutes of the second half, Bobby Neil made the score 3-3 with a penalty kick after Davie Stewart had been penalised. Archie Swann was now a virtual passenger and the Queen's players began to flag on the heavy surface. Rangers scored a further four goals through John Wilkie, Alex Smith, Bob Hamilton and John "Kitey" McPherson to earn a 7-3 victory. A lack of training and weak goalkeeping had been major factors in what was seen as a disastrous result.

Archie Swann

Queen's Park were not in action on Saturday 4 November but six Spiders' players were in the Glasgow side that beat Sheffield 4-0 at Hampden Park. They were David Stewart, James Irons, Willie Stewart, David Wilson, Bob McColl and Tom Bowie. Bob McColl scored a hat trick in the match. Willie Stewart was also on the scoresheet.

On Saturday 11 November, Queen's Park met East Stirlingshire at Merchiston Park in Bainsford near Falkirk. A crowd of around 1,500 turned out for the game in very disagreeable weather. Only two 35 minute halves were played due to a combination of the sodden conditions and the late arrival of the Queen's Park team. Bob McColl gave Queen's the lead in ten minutes and James Irons made the final score 2-0 in the dying seconds.

A week later, Queen's Park were in London facing Corinthians in West Kensington. There was an attendance of around 4,500 on a dull, gloomy day. The Referee described this as a "capital attendance" but it was thought that many stayed away due to the prospect of the game being abandoned on account of fog. Alex Christie was missing from the Spiders' line-up. Corinthians fielded the side that had beaten Aston Villa in midweek to lift the Sheriff of London Charity Shield. Corinthians took the lead through a brilliant individual goal from Gilbert Smith and Reginald "Tip" Foster doubled the lead at the interval with a long, hard shot. In 50 minutes, Bob McColl pulled a goal back with a great shot. From then on, Queen's Park dominated the game but could not find an equaliser. Little could be seen of the final 15 minutes of the game due to fog. It was a disappointing, and unlucky, 2-1 defeat for the Spiders but the players enjoyed their four-day break in London. 

The remainder of Queen's stay in London was not all about leisure. They had a game against the Richmond Association at Old Deer Park on the Monday afternoon. The morning had been very foggy and the attendance was only around the 800 mark. Queen's Park were much the superior side and did not over-extend themselves in the match. The Spiders were 3-1 ahead at the interval with goals from David Wilson, James Templeton and Tom Bowie. H L Beardsley replied for the home side. David Gourlay, normally Queen's third team goalkeeper, saved a Gaylard penalty kick. Tom Bowie increased the Spiders' lead to 4-1 after the interval. Queen's did not appear to be too anxious to increase their lead. In the last five minutes, two superb goals by Richmond's V G Ward made the final score 4-3. The scoreline did not reflect Queen's Park's superiority.

On Saturday 25 November, Partick Thistle were visitors to Hampden Park. In the first few minutes, Archie Freebairn slipped the ball past David Gourlay to give the visitors the lead. Norman Hay, Queen's Park's new left winger from Langside Athletic, drew the sides level. Bob McColl then struck a beautiful goal to put the Spiders ahead but John Blackwood hit a second for Thistle to make the score 2-2 at the interval. James Templeton scored the only goal of the second half to give Queen's Park a rather fortunate victory.

At Queen's Park's half-yearly meeting on Wednesday 29 November 1899, it was agreed to hold a special meeting at an early date to consider the purchase of ground in Mount Florida for a new stadium. The club had been advised that the site of the present Hampden Park would be taken over by Glasgow Corporation in two years' time. Queen's had been anxious to increase the capacity of Hampden Park and wished to purchase the existing ground and an additional area of adjoining land. Messrs Dixon Limited were willing to sell the portion of the ground that they owned but Glasgow Corporation was unwilling to do likewise. A completely new ground was the only alternative.

Queen's Park and Bo'ness met at Hampden Park on Saturday 2 December and the few hundred spectators that turned out were treated to a very good game. Gladstone "Gladdy" Hamilton put Queen's ahead with a fine shot and Bob McColl doubled the lead at the break. Bob McColl scored again in the second period. Either Kerr or Pattison then pulled a goal back for Bo'ness to make the final score 3-1 for Queen's Park.

Queen's Park - Season 1899/00
Back row (from left) - W S Stewart, W W Stewart, R Bowes, C B Miller (Secretary), J Clarkston, 
D Gourlay and N Hay.
Front row - D Wilson, A McE Swan, J H Irons, J Lawrence (President), R S McColl, T Kennedy and 
J F Templeton.

On Saturday 9 December, Queen's Park and Hibernian met at Hampden Park before a crowd of 5,000 in the first match of the new Inter-City League. The Queen's Park side was - D Gourlay; J Gillespie and A M Swann; J H Irons, J Clarkson and J F Templeton; T A Kennedy, D J Wilson, R S McColl, T A Bowie and N W Hay. There were chances at both ends in the first half but no scoring at the interval. Just before the break, Hibernian's James Harrower was injured in a collision with Norman Hay. He did not reappear until twenty minutes into the second half but was of little use when he did return. Hibs were now having the better of things and took the lead in 75 minutes. David Gourlay failed to clear a Paddy Callaghan shot and Billy McCartney rushed in to score. Queen's tried hard to equalise and missed several chances but Hibernian held on for a deserved victory. It had been a disappointing performance by the Spiders.

Queen's Park should have had a match in Renton on Saturday 16 December but Tontine Park was one of many grounds flooded by melting snow.

On the Saturday before Christmas, Leith Athletic were Queen's Park's opponents at Hampden Park. The five hundred spectators present saw a fairly dull, one-sided game on a poor day for football. Bob McColl put Queen's ahead and the lead was doubled before the interval when a Boyd clearance struck Norman Hay and rebounded into the net. The second half was largely a procession of attempts at goal by the Spiders. All were unsuccessful until, eventually, David Wilson scored goal number three. Leith Athletic pulled a goal back through Davidson to make the final score 3-1 for Queen's Park.

Dumbarton were visitors to Hampden Park on the last Saturday of 1899. The match was twenty minutes late in starting and, as a result, only two halves of 30 minutes were played. A small crowd saw a very one-sided game. According to the Daily Record, the Queen's Park scorers in an 8-2 victory were Bob McColl (4), Tom Kennedy (2), Norman Hay and Willie Stewart. However, The Scottish Referee reckoned that McColl scored five goals. Miller and Reid replied for Dumbarton.

The traditional New Year fixture with Corinthians took place at Hampden Park on Monday 1 January 1900. A crowd of close on 20,000 saw Queen's draw 1-1 in a game they should have won comfortably. Play throughout was of an exceptionally high standard. Both goalkeepers had fine saves in the first half. Bob McColl scored the only goal of the half when he burst through and fired the ball into the net. Queen's Park applied sustained pressure in the second period but a combination of brilliant goalkeeping by George Wilkinson and weak shooting by the Spiders' forwards kept the lead to a single goal. Queen's were made to pay near the end when an A M Hollins shot was fumbled into the net by 'keeper Andrew Baird. 

On Saturday 6 January, a mixed Queen's Park side beat Renton 6-1 before a few hundred spectators at Hampden Park. Veteran Bob Smellie appeared at left back for the Spiders. The Spiders' scorers were Kennedy (2), Smith (2), McColl and Stewart. Ross replied for Renton. The Scottish Referee remarked that referee Tom Vallance should have disallowed two of the Queen's goals.

A week later, Second Division side Leith Athletic made their second visit to Hampden Park in three weeks. On this occasion, a place in the second round of the Scottish Cup was at stake. There was a healthy crowd in attendance, with visiting fans travelling through by special train from Leith to Gushetfaulds Station in Cathcart Road. Queen's Park had numerous attempts at goal in the first half but Leith 'keeper James Oswald was in exceptional form. He was finally beaten by a Bob McColl penalty kick and the Spiders went into the interval with a 1-0 lead. Oswald continued to defy the Spiders' forwards after the break but, eventually, Norman Hay doubled the lead from a scrimmage. Then in the closing moments, Tom Kennedy made the final score 3-0.

Queen's Park's second Inter-City League match of the season saw the Spiders visit Celtic Park on Saturday 20 January. Queen's opened well before a crowd of around 10,000 and took the lead in five minutes when Bob McColl converted a Hay cross. Celtic made efforts to equalise but without success until they were gifted a goal when Queen's goalkeeper Andrew Baird came running out from his goal only for the ball to strike Archie Swann and bounce into the empty net. Queen's regained the lead before half-time when David Wilson scored from close range. Queen's Park started the second half strongly and Dan McArthur in the Celtic goal was kept busy. However, it was the Parkhead men who got the next goal when Archie Swann fisted out a McMahon shot, with Baird again out of goal, and Harry Marshall scored with the resultant penalty kick. Celtic then went on to secure a 3-2 victory when Willie Orr was on the end of a Bell pass. But for faulty goalkeeping, this was a game Queen's Park could have won.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park had a home tie with the Abercorn club from Paisley in the second round of the Scottish Cup. The visitors had been expected to do well but suffered a 5-1 defeat. Abercorn's robust style gave the Spiders problems in the first half but, after sustained pressure, Alex Christie gave Queen's the lead with a neat lob. Then, against the run of play, James Robertson equalised for Abercorn with a brilliant shot. Despite Alex Christie limping heavily following a first half injury, Queen's had much the better of the second period. Willie Stewart put the Spiders ahead after a Norman Hay header came off the bar. David Wilson scored a third from a McColl cross. A James M'Intosh own goal put Qureen's further ahead and Bob McColl made the final score 5-1 with a fierce shot. 

The Spiders had a friendly match with Kilmarnock at Hampden Park on Saturday 3 February. It was a poor game, with neither side over-exerting themselves on a difficult surface. Kilmarnock led 1-0 at the interval and Queen's equalised near the end. The visitors played most of the second half with nine men, Tom Busby and David Maitland having gone off injured.

While Queen's Park were labouring against Kilmarnock, James Irons, Bob McColl and David Wilson were part of the Scotland side that beat Wales 5-2 at Pittodrie Park in Aberdeen. David Wilson scored twice in the match. Bob McColl suffered a first half injury and was unable to perform to his full potential. 

There was sad news on the morning of the Kilmarnock match. Former Queen's Park and Scotland goalkeeper George Gillespie, known as the "Prince of Goalkeepers", died at the age of 41 at his home in Radnor Street in the Sandyford area of Glasgow. He left a wife and four children. George had gone down with influenza, which developed into pneumonia. His funeral would take place at the Western Necropolis on the following Wednesday.

Queen's Park had been scheduled to meet Hibernian in the Inter-City League on Saturday 10 February but the Easter Road pitch was frostbound and covered with snow. 

On Saturday 17 February 1900, Queen's Park faced Heart of Midlothian in an Inter-City League fixture at Hampden Park. The pitch was very heavy and worsened as the match progressed. The 6,000 spectators saw a tough encounter, with some very rough play. Hearts were missing five regulars and Sergeant John Gillespie was making his farewell appearance for the Spiders before heading off to South Africa and the Boer War. There was only one goal in the game. It came in 15 minutes when Bob McColl fired home a great shot from 30 yards. But for the Hearts' goalkeeper Harry Rennie, the score would have been much higher. 

Queen's Park had been drawn at home to Dundee in the third round of the Scottish Cup and the match took place on Saturday 24 February. The crowd of over 8,000 included a contingent from Dundee who were in confident mood. There were no goals in a fast, exciting first half. Queen's did more of the attacking but the Dundee defence was resolute. There were near things at both ends in the second period. Tommy McDermott had the ball in the net for the visitors but he was ruled offside. The only goal of the game came in 80 minutes when Bob McColl shot home from close range to Queen's Park the lead. Dundee made strong efforts to equalise but their shooting was ineffective and the Spiders progressed to the semi-finals.

A week later, Queen's Park were at Ibrox Park for an Inter-City League clash with Rangers before a crowd of around 11,000. Willie Stewart was missing from the Spiders' line-up and Rangers were without Neilly Gibson, Alex Smith and Nicol Smith. All four were representing Scotland in Belfast. Rangers took the lead in 25 minutes through John Campbell. A few minutes later, Bob McColl equalised with a great individual effort and then put Queen's ahead before the interval with a shot from close range. The Spiders were well on top in the second half. They had numerous attempts at goal and, eventually, Alex Christie made the final score 3-1 with a low shot. It was a well-merited victory for Queen's Park. Bob McColl gave a brilliant display. He had been selected to play for Scotland against Ireland but had started a new job with Glasgow Corporation several weeks previously and was not in a position to take time off to travel to Belfast.

Queen's Park's run of home games in the Scottish Cup continued and, on Saturday 10 March, Queen's faced Heart of Midlothian in the semi-final of the competition at Hampden Park. There were almost 20,000 spectators in attendance on a fine afternoon. Hearts had the better of the first half but their shooting was poor. They did however score one goal in the half and, once again, Queen's were let down by poor goalkeeping. With 25 minutes gone, 'keeper David Gourlay caught a rather soft Albert Buick shot but took far too long to clear the ball. Buick rushed in and bundled both ball and goalkeeper into the net. The balance of play in the second half was entirely different. Queen's Park were now in the ascendancy. In 48 minutes, David Wilson equalised with a fine shot. Excitement was now intense and the home fans erupted in delight in 65 minutes when Bob McColl fired the Spiders into the lead. Bobby Walker missed a good chance to equalise near the end but Queen's Park held on for a well-earned, if unexpected, victory.

Following the Hearts game, the Daily Record remarked that the Queen's Park players had plenty of time to get fit for the Scottish Cup Final and that "certain members of the team would be none the worse of more assiduous training."

On Saturday 17 March, Queen's Park travelled down to the Ayrshire coast to play Ayr Parkhouse at Beresford Park in Ayr. Queen's were without Christie, McColl, Stewart and Swann. Alex Christie had taken the opportunity to indulge in a spot of rugby. Parkhouse had the better of the game throughout. Muir, Long and Boyd gave the home side a 3-0 lead. Queen's then drew level at 3-3 (scorers not known) but Parkhouse scored the winner near the close. It was a useful practice game for the Spiders with the Scottish Cup Final in mind.

Bob McColl played in the Scots v Anglo-Scots trial match at Cathkin Park on Wednesday 21 March and scored the second goal in a 2-1 win for the Home Scots.

On Saturday 24 March, Queen's Park met Cup Final opponents Celtic in an Inter-City League match at Hampden Park. Despite bitterly cold weather, there was a crowd of somewhere 10,000 and 15,000 (reports varied) in attendance. Queen's played against an easterly gale in the first half but were only a single goal down at the interval. John Bell was the scorer with a shot off the underside of the bar. Five minutes into the second half, Archie Swann injured his knee and could take no further part in the game. With the benefit of the wind, Queen's held their own for a bit but yet another goalkeeping error gave Celtic a second goal. A high Davie Russell shot from far out beat David Gourlay "ridiculously easily". Bob McColl pulled a goal back for Queen's with a header but, with three minutes to go, Johnny Divers made the final score 3-1 for Celtic after slackness in the Queen's defence. Queen's Park had played the better football but had lost largely due to weak goalkeeping. 

The Inter-City League fixture with Hibernian, postponed in the previous month, went ahead at Easter Road on Saturday 31 March. A crowd of around 7,000 saw Queen's go down 5-0 in a match in which they never got going. Hibs lead 2-0 at half-time with goals from Billy McCartney and Pat Murray. The Edinburgh men had it pretty much all their own way in the second half and scored a further three times through David Reid, Andy McGuigan and Paddy Callaghan.

On Tuesday 3 April, Queen's Park held a special meeting of members to consider the recommendation of the General Committee to purchase and lay out the new ground for the club at an estimated cost of £16,000.

Scotland and England met at Celtic Park on Saturday 7 April 1900. Bob McColl played in the match and scored a famous first half hat-trick in a 4-1 Scotland victory.

Saturday 14 April 1900 was the day of the Scottish Cup Final between Queen's Park and Celtic at Ibrox Park. There was a gale force wind blowing which spoiled the play to a great extent. Queen's started well against the wind and took the lead in 12 minutes with a powerful Alex Christie drive from 20 yards. Celtic then pressed but the Spiders were solid in defence. Eventually though Celtic drew level through Sandy McMahon. Johnny Divers then headed the Parkhead men into the lead. Two minutes from the interval, Celtic scored a third. Jack Bell fired a shot straight at David Gourlay in the Queen's goal. Instead of catching the ball, the young goalkeeper attempted punch it clear but miscued and sent the ball into the net off the post. Queen's Park did most of the pressing after the break and Celtic were booed by the crowd for time-wasting. The game looked all over when a mistake by Davie Stewart let Johnny Divers in to make the score 4-1 for Celtic. However, the Spiders kept plugging away and pulled a goal back from a scrimmage. Either Willie Stewart or Norman Hay got the final touch. Queen's then pulled another goal back when Tom Kennedy rocketed the ball towards goal and Barney Battles, in attempting to clear, deflected the ball into his own net. Queen's Park had much the best of play to the end. Bob McColl went very close but Celtic held on to lift the trophy for a third time.  Celtic's win was unpopular due to what the majority of the 18,000 spectators saw as unsportsmanlike tactics. The North British Daily Mail had this to say, "The amateurs were all over their opponents at the finish and the Celts only saved the game from a draw by tactics of wasting time by fair means or foul." The Queen's Park performance had exceeded expectations but the inability to secure a goalkeeper more experienced that David Gourlay was a major factor in the club's defeat.

The Cup Final sides at Ibrox Park were: -
Queen's Park - David Gourlay; David Stewart and Archie Swann; James Irons, Alex Christie and James Templeton; Willie Stewart, David Wilson, Bob McColl, Tom Kennedy and Norman Hay.
Celtic - Dan McArthur; David Storrier and Barney Battles; Davie Russell, Harry Marshall and Willie Orr; John Hodge, Johnny Campbell, Johnny Divers, Sandy McMahon and Jack Bell. 

Two days after their Cup Final disappointment, Queen's Park were at Anfield taking on Liverpool in a challenge match. There was a crowd of around 3,500 in attendance. Assisted by the wind, which largely spoiled the play, the home side had the better of the first half and took the lead when Sam Raybould was on the end of a John Robertson cross. Bob McColl equalised with a low shot but a fine header from former Montrose player Alf Ferrier gave Liverpool a 2-1 lead at the break. Early in the second half, another Ferrier headed goal extended Liverpool's advantage. Tom Kennedy then pulled one back with a powerful drive. Queen's missed a penalty kick and had a number of dangerous attacks but it was the English side that scored the only other goal of the game. David Gourlay was unable to collect a fine Roberston cross and John Walker blasted the ball into the net for his side's fourth goal.

The Scottish Referee had held a "Popular Players' Plebiscite" inviting readers to vote by mail for their favourite player. Bob McColl had come out on top with 3,330 votes. In second place was Rangers' Alex Smith with 905 votes.

Bob McColl in Scotland jersey

It was back to the Inter-City League on Saturday 21 April, with Third Lanark the visitors to Hampden Park. There was a good attendance on a fine spring afternoon. Third Lanark had the better of a mistake-ridden first half but there was no scoring at the interval. The second half was a bit better but neither goalkeeper was seriously troubled and the game ended goalless.

A week later, Queen's Park were in Inter-City League action once again. Their opponents were Heart of Midlothian. An awkward cross wind spoiled the play to some extent. The Queen's defence was kept busy in the opening half but there was no scoring at the interval. To the delight of the majority of the 5,000 spectators at Tynecastle Park, Hearts dominated the second half and went into a 4-0 lead through Davie Baird, George Livingstone and Thomas Frew (2). Hearts appeared to be the fitter side and the Spiders laboured badly in the latter stages. However, just on time, they managed to pull a goal back through Gladstone "Gladdy" Hamilton. 

The Spiders continued their Inter-City League campaign on Wednesday 2 May with a match against Third Lanark at Cathkin Park. Queen's did not appear to take the game too seriously and were without six regulars. Third Lanark scored three unanswered goals in the first half through either James Douglas or Abraham Wales, James Gillespie and James Reid. Queen's played with nine men in the second half, with Morton and Stewart off injured. They actually played better with nine men than they had with eleven but, a minute from time, James Douglas made the final score 4-0 for Third Lanark. 

On Thursday 3 May, Queen's Park played Rugby Rovers at Hampden Park in a match in aid of the Langside Dorcas Society. Queen's won 5-3 on a very wet evening which had a detrimental impact on the attendance.

Queen's Park played the last of their Inter-City League fixtures at Hampden Park on Saturday 5 May. Their opponents were Rangers.  Queen's changed their goalkeeper once again and had Walter Parkinson of Glasgow Amateurs between the posts. The Spiders faced a strong sun and stiff breeze in the first half. Rangers created a number of chances but it was Queen's Park who took the lead when Willie Stewart beat two men in a tricky run and shot high into the net. Five minutes before the interval, Rangers equalised from a John Robertson penalty kick. Play in the second half was fairly even. There was only one further goal. It came when John "Kitey" McPherson took advantage of a mistake by Davie Stewart to give the Light Blues a 2-1 victory. Queen's Park finished in bottom position in the league with five points.

Inter-City League - Final Table

As usual, the season finished with the Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup. This was a four-team tournament and Queen's Park faced Celtic at the semi-final stage. The tie took place at Cathkin Park on Tuesday 8 May 1900. Queen's got off to a good start and took the lead through Bob McColl with a shot in off the post. Celtic equalised when awarded a controversial penalty kick, with Johnny Campbell scoring at the second attempt. Close to the interval, the Parkhead men won another penalty kick and Campbell put them 2-1 in the lead. Archie Swann did not appear after the break and, while he was absent, Celtic increased their advantage. Jack Bell ran through on goal. Thinking him offside, the Queen's Park backs stood still and 'keeper Walter Parkinson made little effort to stop his shot. The referee gave the goal. Archie Swann then returned and Queen's pulled a goal back when Norman Hay pounced after Celtic goalkeeper Dan McArthur did well to parry a McColl shot. With Queen's hunting for an equaliser, Referee Murray of Stenhousemuir blew for time nine minutes early. A large section of the crowd of almost 8,000 flocked on to the pitch and refused to leave to allow the game to be restarted. The committees of both sides got together and decided to replay the game on the following evening.

Celtic and Queen's Park returned to Cathkin Park as agreed on the evening of Wednesday 9 May. Two games in two days proved too much for the Spiders and they were well beaten by an impressive Celtic side. The Parkhead men took the lead when a Queen's Park free kick went wrong and Jack Bell ran from halfway and slipped the ball past Walter Parkinson as he came out to meet him. Less than a minute later, Celtic doubled their lead when Johnny Campbell bulleted the ball into the net. Johnny Hodge made the score 3-0 at the interval when he chested the ball home after Parkinson had done well to block a Bell shot. Queen's Park had the benefit of a strong breeze in the first half but played better against the wind in the second. Norman Hay pulled a goal back when he beat two defenders and sent a curling shot past John Docherty in the Celtic goal. However, the comeback was short-lived. Almost immediately afterwards, Willie Orr restored Celtic's three-goal lead after Parkinson had twice saved. Johnny Campbell then scored a fifth for the Celts and either Campbell or Sandy McMahon made the final score 6-1. It was a very disappointing performance by Queen's Park. But for a brilliant performance by young Parkinson, the margin of defeat could have been even greater. The Spiders' side that exited the Charity Cup was - W Parkinson; D Stewart and A M Swann; J H Irons, J Clarkson and J F Templeton; W G Stewart, D Wilson, R S McColl, T A Kennedy and N S Hay.

Queen's Park's second eleven, the Strollers, finished level on 23 points with Johnstone in the Scottish Combination League. A play-off to decide the championship took place at Cathkin Park on Friday 18 May and Queen's won 2-1. Sam Graham scored the winner with thirty seconds to go.

On the evening of Thursday 17 May, Queen's Park set off on their second visit to Denmark in three seasons. Bob McColl, Tom Kennedy and Alex Christie were unable to travel. The players who made the trip were - Gourlay, D Stewart, Swann, Irons, Clarkson, Templeton, G Hamilton, Wilson, Bowie, Ormiston, Hay, Smith and Bow. David Stewart captained the side and Committee member Peter White accompanied the party. The Daily Record described the five days in Denmark as "an incessant round of excursions and festivities". However, there were also two football matches played, both against Dansk Boldspil-Union (Danish Football Union) select sides. Queen's Park won 6-1 on Monday 21 May and 8-1 on Thursday 24 May. The same team played in both games, although it is not known which eleven of the thirteen players in the party took part. There is no record of the goalscorers. Members of the Danish Royal Family were present at both matches. According to reports, there were 7,000 spectators at the first game and 6,000 at the second. This does not entirely tie in with the statement in Richard Robinson's book that the first gate was £100 and the second £250. Queen's got a great reception in Copenhagen and the DBU made a handsome profit after paying the Spiders' guarantee of £100. All in all, the tour was a considerable success.

The Queen's Park players being presented to Crown Prince Christian

At the Queen's Park Annual General Meeting, Arthur Geake was elected President and it was reported that the club had a balance of £4,758 18s 3d. The new ground in Mount Florida would be put in temporary order by August 1901 at a cost of £4,000.

Queen's Park's Annual Sports took place at Hampden Park on Saturday 2 June. The Sports were a success but the attendance of 6,000 did not meet expectations. Lord Provost Chisholm presented the prizes and the band and pipers of the Glasgow Highlanders provided the music.

At the AGM of the Scottish Football League, the Second Division clubs proposed that the Scottish League be governed by a Joint Management Committee of the clubs in both divisions. Previously, the Division Two clubs had no say in the dealings of the top division sides. The motion was carried with the support of Rangers and Heart of Midlothian. The other eight top flight clubs were none too happy at the decision and immediately called for a special meeting to rescind the change. At the special meeting the representatives of the clubs in both divisions decided by 19 votes to 15 to abide by the resolution passed at the AGM. Several delegates, including Mr J H McLaughlin of Celtic, were hit by train delays and arrived after the vote. The eight dissatisfied clubs, now with the support of Hearts, remained opposed to the change in management and met to discuss the possibility of setting up a breakaway league. At this point, Queen's Park were asked if they would be disposed to joining the league. President Arthur Geake consulted the players and members and they were very much in support of the idea. Queen's agreed to join the league, provided that it also included Rangers, Hearts and Partick Thistle. Fearing that they would be left out in the cold, the Second Division clubs agreed to revert to the previous arrangement whereby they would manage their own affairs but have no voice in the management of the First Division or the Scottish League as a body. As season 1900/01 got under way, Queen's Park were part of an 11-club Scottish League First Division.       

Results 1899/00

First Eleven
22/08/1899 Celtic 3 Queen's Park 3 (charity match played in Airdrie)
26/08/1899 King's Park (Stirling) 2 Queen's Park 6
02/09/1899 Queen's Park 9 Ayr Parkhouse 5
09/09/1899 Queen's Park 6 Arbroath 2
16/09/1899 Queen's Park 2 Clyde 1 - Glasgow Cup
25/09/1899 Queen's Park 2 Liverpool 0
30/09/1899 Queen's Park 6 East Stirlingshire 0
07/10/1899 Dumbarton 2  Queen's Park 3
14/10/1899 Glasgow University 0 Queen's Park 7 - Glasgow Cup
21/10/1899 Kilsyth Wanderers 1 Queen's Park 6
28/10/1899 Rangers 7 Queen's Park 3 - Glasgow Cup semi-final
11/11/1899 East Stirlingshire 0 Queen's Park 2
18/11/1899 Corinthians (London) 2 Queen's Park 1
20/11/1899 Richmond Association (London) 3 Queen's Park 4
25/11/1899 Queen's Park 3 Partick Thistle 2
02/12/1899 Queen's Park 3 Bo'ness 1
09/12/1899 Queen's Park 0 Hibernian 1 - Inter-City League
23/12/1899 Queen's Park 3 Leith Athletic 1
30/12/1899 Queen's Park 8 Dumbarton 2
01/01/1900 Queen's Park 1 Corinthians (London) 1
06/01/1900 Queen's Park 6 Renton 1
13/01/1900 Queen's Park 3 Leith Athletic 0 - Scottish Cup
20/01/1900 Celtic 3 Queen's Park 2 - Inter-City League
27/01/1900 Queen's Park 5 Abercorn 1 - Scottish Cup
03/02/1900 Queen's Park 1 Kilmarnock 1
17/02/1900 Queen's Park 1 Heart of Midlothian 0 - Inter-City League
24/02/1900 Queen's Park 1 Dundee 0 - Scottish Cup
03/03/1900 Rangers 1 Queen's Park 3 - Inter-City League
10/03/1900 Queen's Park 2 Heart of Midlothian 1 - Scottish Cup semi-final
17/03/1900 Ayr Parkhouse 4 Queen's Park 3
24/03/1900 Queen's Park 1 Celtic 3 - Inter-City League
31/03/1900 Hibernian 5 Queen's Park 0 - Inter-City League
14/04/1900 Celtic 4 Queen's Park 3 (at Ibrox Park) - Scottish Cup Final
16/04/1900 Liverpool 4 Queen's Park 2
21/04/1900 Queen's Park 0 Third Lanark 0 - Inter-City League
28/04/1900 Heart of Midlothian 4 Queen's Park 1 - Inter-City League
02/05/1900 Third Lanark 4 Queen's Park 0 - Inter-City League
05/05/1900 Queen's Park 1 Rangers 2 - Inter-City League
08/05/1900 Celtic 3 Queen's Park 2 * (at Cathkin Park) - Glasgow Charity Cup
09/05/1900 Celtic 6 Queen's Park 1 (at Cathkin Park) - Glasgow Charity Cup
21/05/1900 Dansk Boldspil-Union ** 1 Queen's Park 6 (in Copenhagen)
24/05/1900 Dansk Boldspil-Union ** 1 Queen's Park 8 (in Copenhagen)

* The referee blew for time nine minutes early by mistake. Spectators invaded the pitch and refused to leave when the referee attempted to restart the match. Play was abandoned and the game rearranged for the following evening.

** Danish Football Union

Second Eleven - The Strollers
02/09/1899 Thornhill 1 Strollers 9
16/09/1899 2nd Dumbarton 1 Strollers 7 - Scottish 2nd XI Cup
23/09/1899 Albion Rovers 2 Strollers 1 - Scottish Combination
30/09/1899 Third Lanark 'A' 3 Strollers 2 - Scottish Combination
07/10/1899 Strollers 5 St Mirren 'A' 1 - Scottish Combination
14/10/1899 Strollers 4 Third Lanark 'A' 4 - Scottish Combination
21/10/1899 Strollers 10 Royal Albert (Larkhall) 1 - Scottish Combination
28/10/1899 Strollers 7 Thornliebank 1 - Scottish Combination
04/11/1899 Wishaw Thistle 2 Strollers 6 - Scottish Combination (match stopped early, replay required)
11/11/1899 Strollers 3 Cartvale 1
18/11/1889 Strollers 3 Kilbarchan 1 - Scottish Combination
25/11/1899 St Mirren 'A' 1 Strollers 3 - Scottish Combination
02/12/1899 Uddingston 1 Strollers 2
09/12/1899 Arthurlie 0 Strollers 2 - Scottish Combination
23/12/1899 Kilbarchan 5 Strollers 1 - Scottish Combination
13/01/1900 Milton Rovers (Carluke) 3 Strollers 1
20/01/1900 Thornliebank 4 Strollers 3 - Scottish Combination
27/01/1900 Clydebank 1 Strollers 4
17/02/1900 Stevenston Thistle 3 Strollers 2
24/02/1900 Paisley Academicals 5 Strollers 2
03/03/1900 Strollers 5 Amateurs 0
10/03/1900 Johnstone 4 Strollers 5 - Scottish Combination
17/03/1900 Strollers 3 Wishaw Thistle 1 - Scottish Combination (match stopped early - not replayed, Wishaw forfeited the points)
24/03/1900 Alloa Athletic 2 Strollers 1
31/03/1900 Strollers 3 Arthurlie 1 - Scottish Combination
07/04/1900 Wishaw Thistle 3 Strollers 6 (played at Hampden Park) - Scottish Combination
11/04/1900 Third Lanark 'A' 3 Strollers 2 (at Cathkin Park) - Scottish 2nd XI Cup Final
19/04/1900 Strollers 3 Albion Rovers 1 - Scottish Combination
25/04/1900 Royal Albert (Larkhall) 6 Strollers 2 - Scottish Combination
28/04/1900 Strollers 1 Johnstone 3 - Scottish Combination 
15/05/1900 Strollers 2 Johnstone 1 (at Cathkin Park) - Scottish Combination championship decider

Third Eleven - The Hampden Eleven
02/09/1899 2nd Ayr Parkhouse 5 Hampden Eleven 3
09/09/1899 Vale of Grange (Bo'ness) 2 Hampden Eleven 2
16/09/1899 Morrisonians (Crieff) 1 Hampden Eleven 6
23/09/1899 Royal Victoria (Rothesay) 2 Hampden Eleven 6
30/09/1899 Milton Rovers (Carluke) 1 Hampden Eleven 1
07/10/1899 Hardgate 0 Hampden Eleven 2
14/10/1899 Newmilns 5 Hampden Eleven 0
28/10/1899 King's Park Juniors 1 Hampden Eleven 3
04/11/1899 Lenzie 2 Hampden Eleven 2
11/11/1899 Stewarton Juniors 2 Hampden Eleven 1
25/11/1899 Ashfield 1 Hampden Eleven 1
02/12/1899 Rutherglen Glencairn 2 Hampden Eleven 2
09/12/1899 Strathclyde 3 Hampden Eleven 0
23/12/1899 Parkhead 5 Hampden Eleven 2
13/01/1900 Lenzie 2 Hampden Eleven 1
27/01/1900 Elder Park 3 Hampden Eleven 2
24/03/1900 Vale of Forth (Alloa) 4 Hampden Eleven 1
31/03/1900 Howwood Mayflower 0 Hampden Eleven 12
21/04/1900 Larbert Broomage Albion 0 Hampden Eleven 1
28/04/1900 Grange Rovers (Grangemouth) 10 Hampden Eleven 2

Fourth Eleven - The Victoria Eleven
09/09/1899 Dunoon Rangers 3 Victoria Eleven 5
16/09/1899 Alva Albion Rangers 2 Victoria Eleven 1
23/09/1899 Gourock Victoria 3 Victoria Eleven 3
07/10/1899 West Kilbride Athletic 1 Victoria Eleven 8
14/10/1899 Renton Juniors 4 Victoria Eleven 1
21/10/1899 St Winnoch (Lochwinnoch) 4 Victoria Eleven 3
04/11/1899 Cartha 5 Victoria Eleven 2
02/12/1899 Kilmacolm 7 Victoria Eleven 3
09/12/1899 Academicals Juniors 0 Victoria Eleven 4
23/12/1899 Hamilton Athletic 1 Victoria Eleven 3 (possibly 1-8)
13/01/1900 Langside Athletic 2 Victoria Eleven 2
17/02/1900 Stewarton Juniors 5 Victoria Eleven 1
03/03/1900 Kilmacolm 2 Victoria Eleven 1
17/03/1900 Langside Athletic 2 Victoria Eleven 0
31/03/1900 Helensburgh Amateurs 6 Victoria Eleven 0
14/04/1900 Nithsdale (Dumfries) 2 Victoria Eleven 3

Other Match
30/04/1900 Albion Rovers 1 Queen's Park XI 1 (benefit match)

Representative Matches
04/11/1899 Glasgow 4 Sheffield 0
03/02/1900 Scotland 5 Wales 2
03/03/1900 Ireland 0 Scotland 3
07/04/1900 Scotland 4 England 1

No comments:

Post a Comment