Season 1893/94

Queen's Park went into season 1893/94 without changing their stance on participation in league competition. The fixture list would again consist of a combination of cup ties and friendly matches.

A number of Queen's Park players saw early season action playing for the touring side I Zingari, which was made up mainly largely of Queen's players. I Zingari played at Airdrieonians on Saturday 12 August and at Dunblane a week later. Some reports stated that it was Queen's Park rather than I Zingari that took part in the two matches. Both games were 2-2 draws.

On Saturday 26 August, a fairly strong Queen's Park side travelled to Aberdeen for a friendly match with Aberdeen FC. Despite poor weather, there was a very large crowd at Chanonry. Queen's won 8-1. Seven of the goals were scored by Waddell (4), Muir, Robertson and Stewart. The scorer of the eight goal is not known. White replied for the home side.  The Spiders' trip north was something of a weekend away. The players left Aberdeen on the Sunday, broke their journey in Stirling and arrived back in Glasgow on the Monday.

Queen's Park's first home match of the new season took place on Saturday 2 September, with Linthouse the visitors to Hampden Park. Queen's dominated the first half and fired shot after shot at the Linthouse goal. But, thanks to a great performance by 'keeper Leslie, the Spiders led by a single goal only at the interval. Cleland doubled the lead, Campbell pulled a goal back and then Queen's restored their two-goal lead (scorer unknown). However, Linthouse fought back against what was probably a fairly weak Queen's Park side and the match finished in a 3-3 draw.

Two days later, Queen's Park faced English opposition in the shape of Sunderland. The weather was splendid on the Monday evening and the match attracted a crowd of somewhere between 8,000 and 10,000. According to the Sunderland Daily Echo, this was the largest crowd ever at a night match in Glasgow. Queen's Park started the game well and, as a result of brilliant passing, were two ahead after 12 minutes. Gulliland and Cleland were the scorers. The English league champions then pulled a goal back through a fine John Campbell shot from distance. Early in the second half, Walker of Sunderland had to go off injured and the Wearsiders had to play the remainder of the game with ten men. Both sides were dangerous, and both had a goal disallowed, but there was no further scoring and Queen's Park ran out 2-1 winners. The referee blew for time eleven minutes early due to darkness. Neither side was at full strength, nor were the players at peak fitness, but they produced a very good game.

Queen's Park were at home again on Saturday 9 September, with Kilmarnock providing the opposition on this occasion before a small crowd of around 1,000. After early Spiders pressure, Davidson "Dyke" Berry opened the scoring from a scrimmage. David Stewart doubled the lead with a long shot and Tommy Waddell gave Queen's a 3-0 interval lead after a great passing move. The second half was more even. John Brodie pulled a goal back for the Ayrshire men with a lovely shot but William Gulliland was then on target for the Spiders to make the final score 4-1. 

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park were in their first competitive action of the season. The occasion was a Glasgow Cup first round tie with Clyde at Barrowfield Park in Bridgeton. The Queen's team that took the field was - A Baird; D C Sillars and R J Smellie; J Gillespie, T Robertson and D Stewart; W Gulliland, T S Waddell, W A Lambie, D Berry and J Cleland. Queen's Park had the better of the early play but, in 30 minutes, Hugh Robertson headed Clyde into the lead. The home side had the better of things to the interval but the score remained 1-0. Five minutes into the second half, Willie Lambie equalised for Queen's and, in 55 minutes, a Cleland strike gave the Spiders the lead. In 70 minutes, however, Clyde levelled the scores with a headed goal. A keen struggle then developed. With time running out, Queen's Park made one final effort to find a winner and they were rewarded when John Gillespie set up Tommy Waddell to take the Spiders into the next round of the competition. Clyde protested that time was up before the ball crossed the line for the winning goal.

Queen's Park were at home yet again on Saturday 23 September with a friendly game with Glasgow Thistle. An understrength Spiders' side won 3-1 in match in which the Thistle goalkeeper excelled. Dyke Berry scored Queen's second goal. The other scorers are not known. Two members of the Queen's Park side were named as "Calder" and "Falconer". Calder was Bill Sellar and Falconer was Donald Sillars. Why the need for anonymity?

Queen's were south of the border on Thursday 28 September facing Aston Villa at Perry Barr. The game was advertised in Birmingham as the "match of the season". The day was wet and this kept the attendance down to 4,000. Aston Villa had the benefit of the wind and slope in the first half and took a two-goal lead through Willie Groves and Albert Woolley. However, just before the interval, Dyke Berry pulled a goal back from a Gulliland cross. Three minutes into the second half, Tommy Waddell drew the sides level. The home side then regained the lead through former Hibernian and Celtic player Groves. Queen's Park then launched attack after attack and Willie Lambie made the score 3-3. Queen's pressed to the end but had to be satisfied with a draw. In its report on the game, Scottish Sport said, "It was the Queen's who laid the foundation of the present popularity of Association football in the Midlands."

On Saturday 7 October, Queen's Park made the relatively short trip to Govan for a friendly match with Rangers at Ibrox Park. A crowd of around 12,000 saw a fast, well-contested match. The home side took the lead in 16 minutes when Queen's goalkeeper Andrew Baird ran out to clear the ball but completely missed it, leaving John Gray an open goal. Queen's had started the game well but the goal set them back and Gray scored for a second time in 30 minutes. After Tommy Waddell missed a great chance to pull a goal back, John Barker scored a third goal for the Light Blues before half-time. Queen's were much better in the early stages of the second period but Rangers seemed the fitter side and Baird's goal had several narrow escapes in the latter part of the match. The game ended in a disappointing 3-0 defeat for the Spiders. 

A week later, Queen's Park met Clyde at Hampden Park. A below-strength Spiders' side had the better of the early play but, to the surprise of the 3,000 spectators, it was Clyde who held the half-time lead with a goal from Archie McKenzie. Immediately after the break, Queen's Park equalised through McPherson with what the North British Daily Mail described as ".... a brilliant effort, which astonished all who witnessed the match." Queen's right back Lennox was then injured and could take no further part in the match. Despite this handicap, the Spiders won the match with a second McPherson goal in 75 minutes, after good play by Tommy Waddell.

Queen's Park did not have a match on Saturday 21 October but Andrew Baird, David Stewart and Jimmy Hamilton played for Glasgow in a 1-1 draw with East of Scotland at Cathkin Park.

Queen's Park had received a bye in the second round of the Glasgow Cup and, on Saturday 28 October, they met Third Lanark (3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers) at Hampden Park in the third round of the competition. There was a crowd of around 7,000 on a breezy afternoon. Queen's Park, facing the wind, came close several times before opening the scoring in eight minutes through either Tommy Waddell or Willie Gulliland. A few minutes later, the lead was doubled when either Tom Robertson or David Stewart fired home a shot from distance. (As was common at the time, the identity of scorers varied from report to report.) Not long afterwards, Willie Gulliland scored Queen's Park's third goal in 15 minutes with a fine shot. In 30 minutes, Tommy Waddell put the Spiders four up from a Sellar cross. Henry Boyd the pulled a goal back and, although Queen's were dominating play, Stewart scored a clever second for the Volunteers just on half-time. There were close calls at both ends in the second period. A few minutes from time, Bill Sellar scored a fifth for Queen's with a powerful shot and, just before the whistle, Boyd pounced on a defensive mistake to make the final score 5-3 for Queen's Park. The Spiders had been pilloried in the press after the defeat at Ibrox and responded well with a merited victory.

William Gulliland

On Saturday 4 November, the Northern club from Springburn in the north of Glasgow provided the opposition at Hampden Park. Queen's Park fielded only four regular starters and gave seven young players the the opportunity to shine. Queen's took the lead through right winger W Robertson. Tom Robertson then doubled the Spiders' advantage with a skilful finish. Russell pulled a goal back from a scrimmage but Jimmy Hamilton restored Queen's two-goal lead before the interval. Northern were better after the break and scored the only goal of the second period through Neaves. The 3-2 scoreline was a fair reflection of the balance of play.

A week later, Queen's Park were at Tynecastle Park in Edinburgh for a match with Heart of Midlothian. It was the first friendly game between the two clubs in eight years. A record attendance had been anticipated but, when it was learned on the Friday that Queen's would be without several leading players, interest waned somewhat. Nonetheless, there was a good crowd of 8,000 in attendance, despite heavy drizzle at the start of the game. Queen's Park took the lead when Wilkie deflected a John Gillespie shot through his own goal but David Russell then headed a deserved equaliser. Queen's then applied pressure but Hearts broke away and Willie Taylor gave them the lead with a great strike. The home side then went into a 3-1 lead when Andrew Baird failed to stop a soft George Hogg shot. After the interval, George McGowan pulled a goal back for the Spiders but a fairly even game ended in a 3-2 win for Hearts. By 20 minutes to go, it was so dark that it was almost impossible for the spectators to follow the play.

On the same afternoon of the Tynecastle match, a weak Glasgow side was thrashed 7-2 by Sheffield at Olive Grove Park in the steel city. There were no Queen's Park players in the Glasgow team. Donald Sillars and Dyke Berry had been selected to play but were withdrawn by Queen's to be part of the team at Tynecastle.

On Saturday 18 November 1893, Queen's Park and Cowlairs met at Hampden Park in the semi-final of the Glasgow Cup. The weather was stormy on the day and had an adverse effect on the play. Queen's had the benefit of the cold gusty wind in the first half but, despite creating a number of chances, could not score against a very physical Cowlairs outfit. As the second half progressed, Cowlairs began to assert themselves and took the lead with a John Shanks header from a free kick. Either George Scott or Sam Lynch then doubled the lead from a scrimmage. Queen's went all out in an attempt to rescue the situation but to no avail and the Scottish League Second Division team from the north of Glasgow secured a surprise 2-0 victory. In its match report, the Glasgow Herald expressed the view the Queen's Park were "insufficiently trained" as compared to professional sides such as Rangers, Hearts and Cowlairs.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park were at Langlands Park in Govan facing Linthouse in the first round of the final stage of the Scottish Cup. A crowd of 1,000 saw the Spiders ease to a 5-1 victory. Queen's were 4-1 ahead at half-time, with goals from Jimmy Hamilton (2), either Dyke Berry or Willie Lambie and an own goal. Campbell got the Linthouse goal just before the interval. There was only one goal in a more even second half and it was Dyke Berry who scored it. It was a much more spirited Queen's performance than a week previously.

St Bernard's from Edinburgh were first time visitors to Hampden Park on Saturday 2 December. The match drew a small crowd of around 2,000. A frost-covered surface meant that the players had to be cautious with their footing. Despite the conditions, Queen's Park played well throughout and had a very comfortable 6-0 victory. The scorers were David Muir, Tom Robertson (2), Willie Lambie (2) and George McGowan. Walter Arnott turned out for St Bernard's.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park were at Parkhead for a friendly match with Celtic. This was the first friendly encounter between the sides. There was a crowd of 5,000 on a miserable snowy day. The two sides served up a high quality game. Johnny Madden was on the end of a free kick in ten minutes to open the scoring for Celtic. Willie Lambie equalised in 30 minutes from a free kick but Joe Cassidy put the Celts back in front just on half-time. Six minutes into the second half, Jimmy Blessington put Queen's 3-1 behind but, almost immediately, George McGowan pulled a goal back. Celtic scored again from a scrimmage but McGowan scored his second of the game to make the final score 4-3 for the Parkhead men.

Some Queen's Park players were at times criticised for a lack of commitment. This charge could not be aimed at Willie Gulliland when it came to his presence in the Spiders' side at Celtic Park. He left Tighnabruaich in the early hours of the morning and travelled to Glasgow via Rothesay.

Queen's Park had been drawn away to Arbroath in the second round of the final stage of the Scottish Cup and the tie took place at Gayfield Park on Saturday 16 December 1893. Queen's were without Berry, Smellie and Waddell. It was a stormy day with a gale blowing across the ground. Queen's struggled on the soft narrow pitch and there was no scoring at half-time. The Spiders eventually took the lead in 60 minutes through either David Muir or Jimmy Hamilton. Both sides created chances before Queen's Park extended their lead with a goal from Jimmy Hamilton or Willie Gulliland. Hamilton made the final score 3-0 from a Lambie pass. The Arbroath Herald criticised the home side for a lack of fitness - a charge usually levelled at Queen's Park.

On the Saturday before Christmas, Queen's Park had a friendly game with Heart of Midlothian at Hampden Park. A crowd of around 2,000 saw Hearts take the lead against the run of play when Willie Taylor took advantage of a defensive mixup. Tommy Waddell hit the bar as Queen's pressed. An equaliser eventually arrived through Willie Lambie and then Jimmy Hamilton put the Spiders into the lead when he was quickest to a shot that rebounded off the bar. Five minutes into the second half, either Willie Michael or Willie Taylor drew the sides level and then Robert Gray put the Edinburgh men 3-2 ahead with a dipping shot. Willie Lambie then scored a splendid goal for Queen's Park but John Walker responded with a fourth goal for Hearts. After a great piece of play, Willie Lambie equalised yet again and, when William Gulliland fired home a terrific shot in 87 minutes, it looked as if Queen's had won the game. However, Hearts were not finished and Davie Baird scored in the dying seconds to make the final result a 5-5 draw.

A week later, on Saturday 30 December, Queen's Park welcomed Newton Heath (later renamed Manchester United) to Hampden Park. It was the Lancashire club's first visit to Scotland.  The attendance was affected by the fact that a league match between Third Lanark and Celtic was taking place at nearby Cathkin Park. Only £23 was taken at the gate and Queen's Park had given Newton Heath a guarantee of £40. This was the first time Queen's had lost money in a game where a guarantee had been given. The Spiders were on the attack from the start, winning corner after corner, but 30 minutes had passed before Jimmy Hamilton opened the scoring with a fine angular shot. Newton Heath then came more into the game and equalised through a header from Scotsman Fred Erentz. A few minutes later, Jimmy Hamilton headed Queen's Park back into the lead. The Spiders were on top in the second half but McNaught struck a fine equaliser for Newton Heath. Two minutes later, however, Jimmy Hamilton completed his hat trick with a magnificent shot to give Queen's Park a 3-2 victory. The Spiders side was - Baird; Sillars and Smellie; Gillespie, Robertson and Stewart; J Lambie, Waddell, Hamilton, W Lambie and Berry.

Queen's Park's annual challenge match with Corinthians took place at Hampden Park on Monday 1 January 1894. A crowd in excess of 15,000 witnessed the action. A well-contested game ended in a 1-1 draw. Queen's Park opened the scoring when Corinthians' goalkeeper Leslie Gay fumbled a William Gulliland shot and the ball rolled between the posts. The Spiders were well on top but Arthur Henfrey was on the end of a fine cross to draw Corinthians level. Only great defence by the visitors prevented Queen's Park from winning the game in the second half. A Dyke Berry shot against the bar was the closest that Queen's came. The Sportsman said - "But for Gay, the Queen's Park would probably have had a rather easy victory." 

Queen's had their third consecutive game against English opposition on Saturday 6 January with the visit of Stoke (now Stoke City) to Hampden Park. The Stoke side side contained six Scots. It was a bitterly cold day and only around 1,000 spectators were scattered around the ground. Neither set of players was too keen to play on a rock hard, snow-covered surface, but the game went ahead, albeit with the playing time reduced to two halves of 35 minutes. The conditions were all against good football but the teams served up an entertaining game. Willie Lambie put Queen's Park ahead in five minutes, Robertson or Dickson equalised, and then a John Gillespie shot was deflected in off a defender's foot to give Queen's a 2-1 lead at the interval. Either Willie Lambie or Dyke Berry scored a third for the Spiders after the ball had come back off the bar and Jimmy Hamilton burst through the Stoke defence for a fourth. Dickson then reduced the deficit to make the final score Queen's Park 4 Stoke 2. 

Queen's Park had been drawn away to Abercorn of Paisley in the quarter-finals of the Scottish Cup. The tie took place at Underwood Park on Saturday 13 January. A crowd of 3,500 saw Abercorn make a strong start and take the lead through Neil Munro. Jimmy Hamilton equalised to level the scores at half-time. William Wilson put the Paisley side back into the lead after Queen's 'keeper Andrew Baird was knocked over in a scrimmage. Queen's then equalised from a scramble in front of goal following a Donald Sillars free kick. Soon after, Robert Barr restored Abercorn's advantage but Tommy Waddell set up Jimmy Hamilton to make the game 3-3. Both sides went all out for a winner but there was no further scoring and the tie went to a replay.

The Scottish Cup replay with Abercorn took place at Hampden Park on the following Saturday. A good crowd of around 6,000, including many from Paisley, was in attendance. In less than five minutes, Neil Munro headed Abercorn into the lead but, after Jimmy Hamilton missed a great chance, John Gillespie equalised with a firm header. Dyke Berry then put Queen's ahead but Munro scored for a second time to make the score 2-2 at half-time. A minute after the restart, Jimmy Hamilton scored a fine goal to put Queen's Park ahead but the Spiders suffered a blow shortly afterwards when Bob Smellie, who had been injured in the first half, was unable to continue. Despite being down to ten men, Queen's were still on top but chances were missed and there was bad luck with shots hitting both bar and post. The Spiders were made to pay for their profligacy in front of goal when Bob McClung met a corner kick and swept the ball past Andrew Baird. The ten men peppered the Abercorn goal near the end but to no avail. The game ended in another 3-3 draw.

Queen's Park and Abercorn tried again at neutral Ibrox Park on Saturday 27 January 1894. A high wind spoiled the game for the 6,000 spectators. Queen's, without Gulliland, Sellar and Smellie, kicked off against a gale. With the wind advantage, Abercorn had more of the play in the first half but Queen's were dangerous on the break. The games was goalless at half-time. After prolonged attacking with the wind at their backs in the second period, Queen's Park were awarded a free kick two yards from goal. The ball was forced through by Willie Lambie for the opening goal. With eight minutes to go, Dyke Berry scored a second to take the Spiders into the Scottish Cup semi-finals.

The Spiders' opponents in the Scottish Cup semi-final were Rangers. The match took place at Ibrox Park on Saturday 3 February. The 14,000 spectators were treated to an exciting game, despite the pitch being in poor condition after recent storms. Rangers lost the toss and kicked off against the wind. Queen's Park dominated the first half and threatened on a number of occasions. However, at the interval, they had only a smart Tommy Waddell goal to show for all their pressure. The game was end to end after the break but there was only one further goal. It was Rangers who got it from a David Boyd header. John Gillespie and Tom Robertson both suffered injuries in the second half. Despite playing the last 15 minutes with ten men, Queen's finished strongly and looked the more likely to score in the closing minutes. A 1-1 draw meant yet another cup replay for the Spiders. The Queen's Park team at Ibrox was - Andrew Baird; Donald Sillars and Eddie Freeland; John Gillespie, Tom Robertson and David Stewart; William Gulliland, Tommy Waddell, Jimmy Hamilton, Dyke Berry and Johnny Lambie.

John Lambie

The cup replay with Rangers took place at Hampden Park on the following Saturday before a crowd of more than 16,000 (15,920 paid for admission). Queen's Park had to go into the game without John Gillespie, Jimmy Hamilton and Tom Robertson. Rangers were without David Boyd. Queen's faced the wind and rain in the first half but pretty much held their own. Rangers opened the scoring in 20 minutes through Smith. The Spiders equalised when the ball glanced in off 'keeper Haddow's leg from a scrimmage. With the game level at the break, Queen's Park seemed well-placed to make use of the wind advantage and go on and win the game. But it was not to be. As the second half progressed, Rangers' superior fitness became evident. John "Kiley" McPherson gave the Light Blues the lead in 55 minutes with a lovely shot. Then, in 80 minutes, they secured a cup final spot from a scrimmage. The absence of the injured Gillespie and Robertson at half-back had proved too much of a handicap for Queen's Park. The Spiders' side that lost out to the Ibrox men was - Baird; Sillars and Freeland; Lang, McFarlane and Stewart; Waddell, W Lambie, Sellar, Berry and Gulliland.

On Saturday 24 February, a Queen's Park side containing four Strollers met Dumbarton at Hampden Park. There was a very poor turnout of spectators on an extremely cold day, with snow and sleet falling at intervals. The ground was very heavy, with small pools of water dotted around, and it took a toll on the players. Either Willie Lambie or David Muir gave Queen's the lead after a fine move but Bob Johnstone equalised. Straight from the kick-off, Tommy Waddell restored the Spiders' lead. Willie Lambie then scored a great goal to give his side a 3-1 advantage at half-time. Queen's Park were on top well into the second period, gaining a number of corner kicks, but Dumbarton seemed to have more staying power. Johnstone pulled a goal back and then, with five minutes to go, William Andrews struck to give the Sons of the Rock an unlikely 3-3 draw. The North British Daily Mail expressed the view that Queen's Park threw the game away.

A week later, there were two International trial matches at Ibrox Park. Andrew Baird, Dyke Berry, William Gulliland, Willie Lambie, Donald Sillars, David Stewart and Tommy Waddell took part.

On Monday 5 March, Scottish Sport reported that Queen's Park had been sounded out about joining the Scottish League in the following season. Apparently, they would be warmly welcomed and a strong effort would be made to reduce the number of league clubs to eight, if Queen's would consent to join on those terms. It seemed unlikely to move them as, "They (Queen's Park) object to be harnessed to such a stiff programme as inclusion in an eight-club League would entail."

Queen's Park were in London on Saturday 10 March for a return match with Corinthians. The game at the Queen's Club in West Kensington drew a crowd of 6,000, despite the price of admission being one shilling, rather than the usual sixpence. The Corinthians line-up contained eight of the England side to play Wales two days later. The home side took the lead in five minutes when John Veitch scored from the rebound after Andrew Baird brought off a good save. Queen's equalised in 30 minutes when Willie Lambie set up his brother Johnny to score. Around 20 minutes into the second half, the Englishmen retook the lead when Baird was shoulder charged through his own goal by Smith following a corner kick. Corinthians looked likely winners at this stage but Willie Lambie fired home a beautiful shot to make the final score 2-2.

Queen's Park met Rangers once again on Saturday 17 March in a friendly match at Hampden Park. The game attracted a crowd of around 12,000 on a fine late winter's day. A Queen's side, comprising a mixture of young players and veterans, started well and took the lead in six minutes when William Gulliland unleashed an unsavable shot past Haddow. Almost immediately afterwards, John Gray equalised for Rangers. Then, in 30 minutes, the Queen's Park defenders failed to intercept an Andrew McCreadie shot and the Light Blues were in the lead. Queen's started the second half brightly but it was Rangers who scored again in 65 minutes through either Boyd or Gray. The Spiders could have pulled a goal back but, with five minutes to go, David Boyd drilled the ball past Baird to give Rangers a deserved 4-1 victory. Donald Sillars missed the match because, according to Scottish Referee, he was not in the mood.

Queen's Park were not in action on Saturday 24 March 1894 but Andrew Baird, David Stewart and Dyke Berry were members of the Scotland side that beat Wales 5-2 at Rugby Park in Kilmarnock. 

Two days later, on Monday 26 March, Queen's Park had a match in Stoke. Bob Smellie, Eddie Freeland, William Gulliland and Tommy Waddell were unable to make the trip. A crowd of 5,000 saw Stoke win by the only goal of the game. 

An English club again provided the opposition on the following Saturday, with Sheffield Wednesday the visitors to Hampden Park. There was a crowd of 8,000 in attendance in splendid weather. Tom Robertson was back in the Spiders' side after a lengthy absence. Wednesday had the better of the early play but Queen's were dangerous on the break and a Tommy Waddell shot hit the bar. Indeed, it was Queen's who took an interval lead through Willie Lambie after clever play by Waddell. Queen's Park forced the pace in the early stages of the second half but poor defence allowed Davis to equalise from a Spikesley cross. Minutes later, Wednesday took the lead when a Queen's Park defender headed a shot against his own crossbar and Davis swooped on the rebound to score. Both sides missed numerous chances but there was no further scoring. There was a controversial incident near the end when Bob McColl was tripped inside the 12-yard area but the referee gave a free kick rather than a penalty kick.

While his teammates were facing Sheffield Wednesday, David Stewart was a member of the Scotland side that beat Ireland 2-1 in Belfast.

The third of the home internationals took place at Celtic Park on Saturday 7 April. William Gulliland, Willie Lambie and Donald Sillars played in the Scotland eleven that drew 2-2 with England. Lambie scored the first goal for the Scots.

Queen's Park faced English opposition yet again on Saturday 14 April, with Sunderland the visitors to Hampden Park. The weather was disagreeable and the gate was a disappointing 3,000. Queen's Park had given a £70 guarantee and made a financial loss on the game. The Spiders put on a great display in the first 30 minutes but faded badly as the game progressed. Johnny Lambie put Queen's ahead in 20 minutes. Sunderland looked outmatched at this point, with 'keeper Ned Doig performing heroics, but James Gillespie equalised in a breakaway. The Queen's defenders thought him offside and let him run through unchallenged. Less than a minute later, Tom Hyslop struck to give Sunderland the lead. The visitors were now in control and, in 52 minutes, scored for a third time from a scrimmage close to goal. Then, in 60 minutes, Hyslop scored again to increase the lead to 4-1. Although William Gulliland hit the post at one point, Sunderland were comfortably on top in the final half hour of the match. According to the Glasgow Herald, the Spiders were "hopelessly defeated".

On Saturday 21 April, Queen's Park were at Rugby Park for a match with Kilmarnock. A large crowd saw a fast, well-contested game. A "poorly-represented" Spiders side took the lead in 30 minutes. Immediately afterwards, the home side equalised. Queen's Park won the game in the second half from a penalty kick.

Queen's Park and Rugby Rovers met at Hampden Park on Wednesday 25 April. For some reason, Queen's designated the encounter as an official match. The weather was terrible and there was a very small attendance. The Spiders won 4-2, despite playing the greater part of the game with nine men after Bill Sellar and Tom Robertson clashed heads and had to be taken off. 

In the third cup competition of the season, the Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup, Queen's Park had been drawn against Rangers in the first semi-final. The tie took place at Third Lanark's Cathkin Park on Saturday 28 April before a crowd of 15,000. There was little between the sides in the early stages but Queen's began to get on top. In 25 minutes, after a period of sustained pressure, Tommy Waddell gave Queen's Park the lead after he combined beautifully with Willie Lambie. Then, before half-time, Bob McColl was bowled over by Rangers' defender Jock Drummond. The free kick into the goalmouth gave Johhny Lambie the opportunity to fire Queen's into a two-goal lead. Rangers were completely outplayed in the second half. The Ibrox men's goal had a number of lucky escapes but there was no further scoring. It was a brilliant victory for Queen's Park.

Queen's Park's opponents in the Charity Cup Final were Celtic, who had beaten Third Lanark in the second semi-final. The match took place at Ibrox Park on Saturday 12 May 1894. The 12,000 or so spectators saw Queen's Park, with the benefit of a strong breeze, make the early running. However, their shooting was less accurate than against Rangers two weeks previously and there was no scoring at half-time. Queen's finally made the breakthrough when Johnny Lambie outpaced the Celtic defence and set up William Gulliland to open the scoring. The lead was short-lived. Less than a minute later, either Jimmy Blessington or Joe Cassidy equalised from a Campbell pass. Celtic were now doing more of the attacking but Queen's Park were dangerous on the break. It was the Parkhead side, however, that got the winner when a Doyle free kick found Blessington six yards from goal and he fired the ball between the posts. Queen's tried their utmost to equalise but to no avail. It was Celtic's cup. The beaten Spiders side was - Andrew Baird; Donald Sillars and Bob Smellie; John Gillespie, Tom Robertson and David Stewart; William Gulliland, Tommy Waddell, Bob McColl, Johnny Lambie and Willie Lambie.

On the following Saturday, a Queen's Park XI was at Holm Park in Newton Stewart for a challenge match with a Newton Stewart and District select side, made up chiefly of Newton Stewart Athletic players. Bob McFarlane and Bill Sellar were the only two senior players in the Queen's Park line-up. The others were second eleven men. What was described as a huge crowd saw Queen's Park win the game 10-3.

At the Queen's Park Annual General Meeting in late May, William "Bill" Sellar was elected President. It was reported that there was a balance of over £1,000 in the club's funds. The members agree unanimously to appoint a paid Secretary. The club subsequently received a large number of applications and Charles C Miller, an accountant and member of the Queen's Park Strollers side, was appointed to the post.

The annual Queen's Park Sports took place at Hampden Park on Saturday 2 June 1894. Unfortunately, the weather broke down before the start of the meeting, with rain coming down in torrents. The adverse conditions had a drastic effect on the attendance and did the sportsmen no favours.

Results 1893/94

First Eleven
26/08/1893 Aberdeen 1 Queen's Park 8
02/09/1893 Queen's Park 3 Linthouse 3
04/09/1893 Queen's Park 2 Sunderland 1
09/09/1893 Queen's Park 4 Kilmarnock 1
16/09/1893 Clyde 2 Queen's Park 3 - Glasgow Cup
23/09/1893 Queen's Park 3 Thistle (Glasgow) 1
28/09/1893 Aston Villa 3 Queen's Park 3
07/10/1893 Rangers 3 Queen's Park 0
14/10/1893 Queen's Park 2 Clyde 1
28/10/1893 Queen's Park 5 Third Lanark 3 - Glasgow Cup
04/11/1893 Queen's Park 3 Northern 2
11/11/1893 Heart of Midlothian 3 Queen's Park 2
18/11/1893 Queen's Park 0 Cowlairs 2 - Glasgow Cup semi-final
25/11/1893 Linthouse 1 Queen's Park 5 - Scottish Cup
02/12/1893 Queen's Park 6 St Bernards 0
09/12/1893 Celtic 4 Queen's Park 3
16/12/1893 Arbroath 0 Queen's Park 3 - Scottish Cup
23/12/1893 Queen's Park 5 Heart of Midlothian 5
30/12/1893 Queen's Park 3 Newton Heath (Manchester) 2
01/01/1894 Queen's Park 1 Corinthians 1
06/01/1894 Queen's Park 4 Stoke 2
13/01/1894 Abercorn 3 Queen's Park 3 - Scottish Cup
20/01/1894 Queen's Park 3 Abercorn 3 - Scottish Cup replay
27/01/1894 Abercorn 0 Queen's Park 2 - Scottish Cup second replay
03/02/1894 Rangers 1 Queen's Park 1 - Scottish Cup semi-final
10/02/1894 Queen's Park 1 Rangers 3 - Scottish Cup semi-final replay
24/02/1894 Queen's Park 3 Dumbarton 3
10/03/1894 Corinthians 2 Queen's Park 2
17/03/1894 Queen's Park 1 Rangers 4
26/03/1894 Stoke 1 Queen's Park 0
31/03/1894 Queen's Park 1 Sheffield Wednesday 2
14/04/1894 Queen's Park 1 Sunderland 4
21/04/1894 Kilmarnock 1 Queen's Park 2
25/04/1894 Queen's Park 4 Rugby Rovers 2
28/04/1894 Queen's Park 2 Rangers 0 - Glasgow Charity Cup semi-final
12/05/1894 Queen's Park 1 Celtic 2 - Glasgow Charity Cup Final
19/05/1894 Newton Stewart Athletic 3 Queen's Park 10

Second Eleven - The Strollers
19/08/1893 Denny 3 Strollers 8
09/09/1893 Kirkintilloch Athletic 0 Strollers 5
30/09/1893 Rangers Swifts 0 Strollers 5 - Scottish Second XI Cup
07/10/1893 Alloa Athletic 1 Strollers 1
14/10/1893 Denny 2 Strollers 4
04/11/1893 Paisley Academicals 1 Strollers 0
11/11/1893 Strollers 6 2nd Heart of Midlothian 0
25/11/1893 Gourock 1 Strollers 4
02/12/1893 Strollers 7 2nd Port Glasgow Athletic 1 - Scottish Second XI Cup
09/12/1893 Strollers 5 2nd Partick Thistle 1
13/01/1894 2nd Heart of Midlothian 3 Strollers 0 - Scottish Second XI Cup semi-final
27/01/1894 2nd Clyde 2 Strollers 3 - Glasgow Reserve Cup
03/02/1894 Clackmannan 1 Strollers 9
17/02/1894 Dykehead (Shotts) 3 Strollers 4
10/03/1894 Strollers 8 Dunblane 0
17/03/1894 Camelon 2 Strollers 7
26/03/1894 Newton Heath Reserves 0 Strollers 8 
14/04/1894 Dundee 'A' 2 Strollers 2
16/04/1894 Strollers v 2nd Battlefield - Glasgow Reserve Cup semi-final (QP won, score not known)
28/04/1894 St Johnstone 5 Strollers 6
08/05/1893 Strollers 8 Rangers Swifts 0 - Glasgow Reserve Cup Final 

Third Eleven - The Hampden Eleven
09/09/1893 2nd Gairdoch (Carronshore) 1 Hampden Eleven 1
23/09/1893 Largs Thistle 1 Hampden Eleven 9
30/09/1893 Alloa Athletic (scratch) 2 Hampden Eleven 3
14/10/1893 Dalry 0 Hampden Eleven 5
21/10/1893 Linlithgow Athletic 2 Hampden Eleven 3
11/11/1893 Bridge of Weir 0 Hampden Eleven 2
18/11/1893 2nd King's Park (Stirling) 1 Hampden Eleven 3
25/11/1893 Kilmacolm 1 Hampden Eleven 2
01/01/1894 Aberdeen Volunteer Reserve 1 Hampden Eleven 7
20/01/1894 Renfrew Victoria 1 Hampden Eleven 1
27/01/1894 Glasgow Perthshire 4 Hampden Eleven ?
03/02/1894 Troon 2 Hampden Eleven 2
10/03/1894 West Calder Wanderers 3 Hampden Eleven 2
17/03/1894 2nd Stevenston Thistle 3 Hampden Eleven 4
31/03/1894 Cumnock Rangers 2 Hampden Eleven 8
07/04/1894 Largs Thistle 2 Hampden Eleven 5
14/04/1894 2nd Dunblane 0 Hampden Eleven 3
21/04/1894 Ayr Parkhouse 2 Hampden Eleven 2
28/04/1894 Hampden Eleven 3 Helensburgh Victoria 2

Fourth Eleven - The Victoria Eleven
16/09/1893 2nd Alloa Athletic 1 Victoria Eleven 2
23/09/1893 Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 0 Victoria Eleven 5
07/10/1893 Busby 4 Victoria Eleven 4
10/02/1894 Ferguslie 0 Victoria Eleven 8
10/03/1894 Jordanhill 2 Victoria Eleven 5
26/03/1894 Newcastle Trafalgar 1 Victoria Eleven 1
31/03/1894 Troon 4 Victoria Eleven 1
14/04/1894 Largs Thistle 2 Victoria Eleven 1

Representative Matches
21/10/1893 Glasgow 1 East of Scotland 1
24/03/1894 Scotland 5 Wales 2
31/03/1894 Ireland 1 Scotland 2
07/04/1894 Scotland 2 England 2

No comments:

Post a Comment