Season 1895/96

Queen's Park opened season 1895/96 on Saturday 22 August 1895 with a match against Ayr Parkhouse at Beresford Park in Ayr. A far from full strength Queen's side won 4-0, with goals from Tom Crookston, Harry Dinsmore, Bob McColl and William Dinsmore. A week later, Port Glasgow Athletic were visitors to Hampden Park. A crowd of around 1,000 saw a considerably understrength Queen's Park eleven win by six goals to one. The scorers are not entirely clear but they appear to have been Tom Crookston (4), James Irons and one of the Dinsmores.

Queen's Park faced somewhat tougher opposition on Saturday 5 September with a match against Renton at Hampden Park. A crowd of 2,500 was present for a close match that ended in a 1-1 draw. Renton took the lead through Bob Johnstone in 40 minutes. Queen's, playing with the wind in the second half, pressed the Renton defence and equalised in 75 minutes through Harry Gray.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park were at home again with a game against Leith Athletic. The visitors went into a two-goal lead in the first half through two John Marshall strikes but goals from Johnny Cameron and a scrimmage tied the scores at half-time. Queen's had most of the play in the second half but failed to take their chances until Davie Stewart finally beat 'keeper William Cox with a 30-yard daisy-cutter. That was the end of the scoring.

After four low-key matches, the serious stuff started on Saturday 19 September 1895 with a Glasgow Cup first round tie against Rangers at Ibrox Park. Queen's Park supporters had started a brake club and the trip to Ibrox was their first outing. The Queen's Park team was - Anderson; Smellie and Smith; Gillespie, McFarlane and Allison; W Stewart, D Stewart, McColl, Cameron and Lambie. In 12 minutes, Alex Smith scored for Rangers from a scrimmage but Davie Stewart equalised in 30 minutes with a shot high into the net. Queen's then took the lead before the interval when Willie Stewart was on the end of a fine McFarlane cross. Queen's Park played well in the second half and should have increased their lead. However, in 85 minutes, there was a shock for the Spiders when Kenny Anderson rushed out to meet a through pass. He could only hit the ball against Alex Smith and it bounded off the Rangers man into the net to tie the scores at 2-2. There was said to have been "breathless excitement" among the 12,000 spectators as each goal was then assailed in turn in the closing minutes but a hard-fought match ended in a draw.

The Glasgow Cup replay with Rangers took place at Hampden Park on the following Saturday. A total of 16,508 spectators paid for admission. With members and season ticket holders included, the overall attendance was close to 20,000. Fourteen Ellison's turnstiles were in operation as part of a trial of their efficiency. The crowd was admitted in a quiet and orderly manner and the trial was deemed a success. Queen's Park had early chances in the match but, in 10 minutes, Rangers took the lead through Hugh McCreadie. Queen's equalised in 20 minutes when Bob McColl fired a Waddell pass past a helpless John McLeod in the Rangers' goal. The Ibrox side had been on top in the first half but Queen's Park dominated the early stages of the second period and took the lead from a scrimmage in front of goal.The Light Blues resounded quickly and drew level once again when McCreadie was first to the loose ball after Kenny Anderson had parried a shot. Less than a minute later, however, Willie Lambie put Queen's back ahead "amidst the wildest enthusiasm" after a fine passing move. The remainder of the match was fiercely contested. Just before the final whistle, Alex Smith missed a great chance to draw the sides level for a third time and the Spiders progressed to the next round off the competition.

Queen's Park's next match took place on Saturday 12 October 1895 with the visit of leading English club Sunderland to Hampden Park. Queen's did not enjoy the best of refereeing decisions in a 5-2 defeat. After a dull opening, Sunderland took the lead through a soft Jimmy Hannah goal. Five minutes later, Davie Stewart made the score 1-1. Shortly afterwards, Sunderland retook the lead in highly controversial fashion. A Jimmy Hartley shot from well out was saved by Kenny Anderson. The referee ruled that the ball had been over the line and gave a goal. The general consensus was that the ball had not even been close to the line. Queen's quickly lost another two goals, through either Jimmy Hannah (2) or Johnny Campbell and Hannah. One of the goals looked suspiciously offside. In 30 minutes, either Davie or Willie Stewart made the score 4-2 from a Willie Lambie cross. Lambie then thought that he had pulled another goal back but, to the surprise off the crowd, the referee gave offside. Sunderland had the wind advantage in the second half and extended their lead to 5-2 in 60 minutes with a Hartley strike. The English side played a man short for the last half hour but the Queen's forwards could make little headway. The closest they came was when a Harry Gray shot hit the post. The referee was booed and jeered as he left the pitch at the end of the game.

A week later, Queen's Park were at Cathkin Park facing Third Lanark in the second round of the Glasgow Cup. A crowd of 12,000 saw Queen's take the lead in five minutes when Willie Lambie dribbled through the Thirds' defence and fired in an unsaveable shot. There was little between the sides but Bob McColl doubled the Spiders' lead in 20 minutes with a great shot "amidst great manifestations of enthusiasm". Contrary to expectations, Queen's were having the better of the game but slackness at the back allowed John Fyfe to dash in and score. After Jack Peddie had missed a great chance for the home side, Willie Stewart made the score 3-1 after some fine forward play. Willie Lambie then burst through at great pace to seal a 4-1 victory for the Spiders.

There was yet another derby match on Saturday 26 October when Queen's Park and Partick Thistle met at Hampden Park. Queen's were expected to win easily but took it too easy and paid the penalty. The Spiders started well enough on a soft, slippery pitch. Bob McColl hit the bar and then, in ten minutes, either Tom Crookston or Willie Stewart opened the scoring. John Proudfoot equalised with a powerful shot and then the same player gave Thistle a 2-1 lead at the interval. Queen's Park missed numerous chances early in the second half and were punished when Proudfoot completed his hat trick. Thistle were now playing in fine style and two Robert Currie goals extended the score to 5-1 in their favour. The game became very rough in the latter stages with Thistle guilty of repeated fouls. This eventually led to the sending off of former Spider Willie Paul.

On Saturday 2 November, Queen's Park made the short trip to Barrowfield Park in Bridgeton to meet Clyde in the semi-final of the Glasgow Cup. The match provided an exciting spectacle for the 8,000 spectators. The Spiders had been expected to struggle in the game but they took the initiative from the start on a heavy, slippery pitch. Bob McColl opened the scoring for Queen's in ten minutes but Alex Crawford equalised fifteen minutes later. Johnny Cameron restored the Spiders' lead from a scrimmage in 55 minutes but James Leslie struck an equaliser in 70 minutes. Cameron put Queen's Park back ahead from a Lambie pass in 75 minutes. Bob McFarlane then extended the lead in 85 minutes only for Gray to score a third for "bully wee" Clyde straight from the kick-off. A fine individual goal from Willie Lambie then sealed victory for the Spiders.

Queen's Park were back at Hampden Park on Saturday 9 November. Their opponents were Dundee, with the club from Juteopolis making a first visit to the stadium. Heavy rain before the match had an adverse effect on the attendance. The game had been expected to be close but Queen's Park ran out 6-2 winners. Tom Crookston opened the scoring for Queen's early in the game. Willie Lambie was then fouled within the 12-yard line and Crookston converted the penalty kick. Queen's extended their lead to 3-0 at the interval from a free kick in front of goal. Free kicks were indirect and it is not known who got the final touch. After the break, Sawers pulled a goal back for Dundee and then saw his shot deflected through goal by a Queen's Park defender to make the score 3-2. The Spiders reacted positively to these setbacks and Bob McColl scored a fourth for his side with a terrific shot. Queen's then emphasised their superiority with two further goals from Crookston and McColl.

A week after the defeat of Dundee, Queen's Park faced Celtic at Ibrox Park in the Glasgow Cup Final. Despite poor weather, there was a crowd of 24,000 in attendance. The pitch was in poor condition but the two sides provided one of the best games seen in Glasgow for some time. Celtic started the better and took the lead through either Allan Martin or Sandy McMahon. Queen's began to assert themselves and scored three unanswered goals before half-time. Bob McColl got the equaliser with a shot from 20 yards that deceived Celtic goalkeeper Dan McArthur on the treacherous surface. As with the opening Celtic goal, reports varied as to the identity of the scorers of the Spiders' second and third goals. The second goal came in 40 minutes when either Tom Crookston or Willie Lambie fired home a fast low shot. Either Tommy Waddell or Johnny Cameron scored the third just before the break. Barney Battles of Celtic was off the field when the second and third goals were scored. There was a break-in during the half-time interval. A portion of the crowd rushed to the edge of the pitch but beat a hasty retreat when showered with cinders by the spectators behind them.

Queen's Park had by far the better of the play in the latter stages of the opening half and this pattern continued in the first 15 minutes of the second period. There was nearly a fourth goal for the Spiders when Johnny Cameron hit the post. But then, in 65 minutes, there was a blow for Queen's when Kenny Anderson rushed out from goal and completely missed the ball, leaving either Willie Ferguson or Allan Martin a simple finish. Queen's were now beginning to show signs of fatigue. The difference in the level of fitness between the Spiders and their full-time opponents became increasingly apparent. In the words of The Scotsman, "As time progressed, condition told its inevitable tale." In 75 minutes, McMahon tied the scores at 3-3. Three minutes later, Ferguson gave Celtic the lead, with Queen's claiming offside. A fifth goal followed from a scrimmage and, just on time, Ferguson made the final score 6-3 for the Parkhead men. It was disappointing and disheartening for Queen's Park to lose after playing so well for an hour. The Queen's side at Ibrox was - Kenny Anderson; John Gillespie and Hugh Smith; James Allison, Bob McFarlane and David Stewart; Tom Crookston, Tommy Waddell, Bob McColl, John Cameron and Willie Lambie.

David Stewart
On Saturday 23 November, Queen's Park met Edinburgh side St Bernard's in a friendly match at Hampden Park. A well-contested first half finished goalless, with Willie Lambie closest to breaking the deadlock with a shot that struck the post. The Spiders had the better of the second half and eventually took the lead through Willie Lambie, following fine play by Bob McColl. Just before the end, St Bernard's broke away and Robert Laing made the final score 1-1 from a scrimmage.

A week later, Queen's Park played Wishaw Thistle before a big crowd at the Old Public Park in the Lanarkshire town. The game was restricted to two halves of 35 minutes. Without over-exerting themselves, Queen's won 5-2 on a difficult pitch. Unsurprisingly, the names of the goalscorers varied from report to report. The Wishaw Press opted for McColl (3), D Stewart and Lambie.

The annual match between Glasgow and Sheffield took place at Third Lanark's Cathkin Park on Saturday 7 December. Kenny Anderson, Hughie Smith, John Gillespie, Bob McFarlane and Willie Lambie were in the Glasgow side. Lambie scored the first goal in a 3-1 victory. Meanwhile, Queen's Park, without the five players on representative duty, travelled to Kilmarnock to play Kilmarnock Athletic at Holm Quarry. Due to the late arrival of the Queen's Park party and failing light, only an hour's play was possible. The Holm Quarry ground was in a pitiful state after a storm the previous week, with fences broken down and the grandstand smashed, and there were only a couple of hundred or so spectators present. A Queen's Park side, containing only three of the regular first eleven, won 2-1. Bob McColl scored both goals. 

On Saturday 14 December, Queen's Park met Hibernian at Hampden Park. The weather was wet and there was only a small crowd present. Queen's had the better of the early play on a heavy and difficult pitch and took the lead in 25 minutes when Bob McFarlane found the net after a fine move. Shortly afterwards, Bob McColl scored a second. Due to failing light, only 40 minutes was played in the first half and the teams did not leave the pitch at half-time. The rain came down in torrents in the second half, spoiling the game. John Ferguson pulled a goal back for Hibs and the Edinburgh side came close to an equaliser but the final result was a 2-1 victory for Queen's Park.

On the Saturday before Christmas, Queen's Park made their second visit of the season to Barrowfield Park for a friendly encounter with Clyde. Queen's fielded what was described as a "mixed eleven". It was a foggy day and, due to the likelihood of visibility becoming increasingly difficult, only two halves of 35 minutes were played. Clyde held a 2-0 lead at the interval, with goals from Stewart and Alex Crawford. Queen's Park had a better second half but passed up a number of chances. They were made to play for their profligacy when James Young scored a third for the Bridgeton men before the close. Queen's Park were not happy with the ball supplied by Clyde, considering it not suited to the hard ground.

Queen's Park Strollers - Season 1895/96

Queen's Park's first team was not in action on Saturday 28 December. The day belonged to the second eleven, the Strollers, who met Leith Athletic 'A' at Easter Road in Edinburgh in the final of the Scottish Second Eleven Cup. The Strollers won 5-1 on a pitch covered in four inches of snow. Leith Athletic protested that the weather conditions were totally unsuitable for a cup tie but their appeal was dismissed by the Scottish Second Eleven Association. 

On Wednesday 1 January 1896, Queen's Park met Corinthians at Hampden Park in the traditional New Year's Day fixture. The Queen's Park line-up was - K L Anderson; J Gillespie and H F Smith; J B Allison, R McFarlane and D Stewart; W S Stewart, T S Waddell, R S McColl, D Berry and W A Lambie. There was little between the sides in a fast-paced opening half but, just as Queen's were beginning to get on top, Corinthians made a quick break and Gilbert Smith opened the scoring. Following a similar break, F Street doubled the London club's lead. Queen's pulled a goal back before half-time when John Gillespie set up Bob McColl to score. The Spiders dominated play after the break and Bob McColl drew the sides level after good play by Willie Lambie and Dyke Berry. Davie Stewart was then injured and could take no further part in the match. Corinthians duly retook the lead through Smith but Bob McColl rescued the situation for the ten men when he ran practically the length off the pitch, brushing off opponents, and fired home a fine shot for a magnificent goal. An excellent game ended in a 3-3 draw.

Three days later, on Saturday 4 January, Queen's Park and Third Lanark played a match at Cathkin Park for the benefit of the widow and family of former Third's player William Thomson. (Third Lanark were generally referred to as the Third in 1896.) The attendance was 8,000 and a sum of around £300 was raised. Queen's gave a great exhibition of forward play in the first half and were 4-0 ahead at the interval, with goals from Bob McColl or Tom Gibbons, Willie Lambie and Dyke Berry (2). Third Lanark made a better start to the second half and Robert Barbour pulled a goal back in 55 minutes. Late goals by Lambie and Willie Stewart extended Queen's lead to 6-1 before Jack Peddie struck with two minutes to go to make the final score 6-2.

Up until now, only men who played for Scottish clubs had been selected for the national side. Following a long period of debate about whether Anglo-Scots should be eligible for selection, the SFA Committee agreed unanimously to select in future the best players in Great Britain qualified by birth to play for Scotland.

Queen's Park had been drawn away to Celtic in the first round proper of the Scottish Cup. The tie should have taken place on Saturday 11 January but the Parkhead pitch was frostbound. The match went ahead on the following Saturday and, to quote the North British Daily Mail, Queen's Park "defeated their powerful opponents on their own ground in a manner that completely astonished all who witnessed the contest." There was little between the sides initially but Queen's began to get on top and took the lead when Peter Meechan put the ball in his own net when trying to clear a John Cameron shot. Celtic equalised from a Dan Doyle penalty kick after Hugh Smith had been harshly adjudged to have tripped Johnny Madden. The Parkhead men were immediately back on the attack and a sweeping move ended with Sandy McMahon heading them into a 2-1 lead. Early in the second half, it was Queen's Park's turn to be awarded a penalty kick for a foul by John King and Willie Lambie levelled the scores. The Spiders then took the lead when Lambie set up Willie Stewart to find the net from close range. Queen's finished the stronger side and, with two minutes to go, Bob McColl blasted a shot towards goal and the ball glanced off 'keeper Dan McArthur's hands into the net. It was an excellent, if unexpected, 4-2 victory for Queen's Park. Some 26,000 paid at the gate at Celtic Park so the total attendance would have been around 28,000.

Queen's Park's second round Scottish Cup tie came only a week after the triumph at Parkhead. The Spiders' opponents were Port Glasgow Athletic. The Renfrewshire side were not expected to provide much of a challenge and the crowd was only around the 3,000 mark. Queen's Park were three ahead at the interval, with goals from Willie Stewart, Willie Lambie and Bob McColl. Shortly after the interval, Willie Stewart made the score 4-0 after 'keeper James Conlin had fisted the ball out. Further goals followed from Bob McColl (2), Willie Lambie and Willie Stewart to make the final score 8-1 for the Spiders. 

On Saturday 1 February, Queen's Park faced Celtic once again. On this occasion, it was the inaugural match of the new Glasgow League. Celtic had proposed the creation of the league and Queen's Park had agreed to take part. Queen's did not wish to join the Scottish League because of the commitment in terms of time and training that would be required of their amateur players if the club were to be competitive. However, a league containing only four clubs - Celtic, Queen's Park, Rangers and Third Lanark - was much more manageable. The financial arrangements were that the home side kept the stand gate receipts, with the rest split equally. This first match in the competition attracted a crowd of over 15,000 to Hampden Park, which showed that there was significant public interest in the league. Celtic enjoyed most of the early play but it was Queen's Park who took the lead through either Bob McColl or Tommy Waddell. Queen's were still largely on the defensive and Kenny Anderson in goal was having to be at his very best. The pressure finally told, however, and Celtic equalised. Once again the scorer is unclear. Either Allan Martin headed in a Ferguson cross or Sandy McMahon headed in a Martin cross. The second half of the match was end to end but it was Celtic who got the two points with a fine Martin goal near the end. It was disappointing for Queen's Park to lose their opening game in the Glasgow League but it was a satisfactory performance considering that the side contained two Strollers' backs - Samson and Brookes.
Queen's Park's next match on Saturday 8 February 1896 resulted in what The Scottish Referee described as, "One of the greatest surprises in the history of the game in Scotland." The occasion was the Scottish Cup third round tie at Hampden Park. Although opponents St Bernard's were the Scottish Cup holders, Queen's Park were expected to win with comparable ease but failed to do so. The Spiders got off to a good start before a crowd of around 9,000 and Willie Lambie shot them into an early lead. St Bernard's were guilty of a number of fouls and Bob McColl had to go off injured after 15 minutes. St Bernard's were encouraged by this and equalised with a George Murdoch header from a Wilson free kick. McColl eventually returned and the St Bernard's goal had several narrow escapes before half-time. After the interval, Robert Laing put the Edinburgh side ahead with a hard shot. After Queen's had a good penalty claim turned down, Jack Wilson extended the St Bernard's lead to 3-1 in a breakaway. Willie Lambie pulled a goal back from a McColl assist. Queen's pressed to the end. An equaliser seemed imminent but simply did not materialise and the Spiders slumped to a dispiriting defeat.

Queen's Park were next in action on Saturday 22 February with the second visit of the season to Beresford Park in Ayr to play the Parkhouse club. Queen's did not appear to take the game too seriously. After a scoreless first half, the Spiders lost their centre forward (identity unknown) to injury at the start of the second period and played the rest of the game with ten men. Ayr Parkhouse then went into a three-goal lead through Kay (2) and Wallace. Queen's pulled two goals back through Willie Lambie and Dyke Berry but that was the end of the scoring. 

A week later, Queen's Park visited the Ayrshire town of Beith for the first time in 15 years. After heavy rain, the Muirfield pitch was a quagmire and good play was difficult. Queen's Park won 8-1. The Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald gave the scorers of seven of Queen's goals as Howie (3), Lambie (2), Berry and Stewart. The Beith goal was credited to Chalmers.

On Saturday 7 March, a number of Queen's Park players took part in trial matches at Cathkin Park for the upcoming international fixtures.

Queen's Park - Season 1895/96
Back row - K Anderson, W Sinclair, T Gibbons.
Middle row - R S McColl, C B Miller, T S Waddell, R Smellie, J Allison, D Berry, H Smith, J Irons.
Front row - D Stewart, W Sellar, W A Lambie.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park were in London for a return match with Corinthians. They were 40 minutes late in arriving at the Queen's Club in West Kensington and were greeted with boos and hisses from the 4,000 or so spectators. Queen's had taken a brake from the Inns of Court Hotel in Holborn and the driver got lost. Andrew Robb replaced the unavailable Willie Lambie in the Spiders' line-up. Corinthians included all five amateurs who would play for England against Wales two days later. Bob McColl gave Queen's the perfect start with the opening goal in four minutes. W N Collier equalised in 20 minutes with a shot high under the bar. Queen's Park were dominating play but Corinthians' international goalkeeper George Raikes was in magnificent form. He was finally beaten by a fine Robb effort just before the interval. The second half was fairly dull and there was no further scoring. The 2-1 final scoreline flattered Corinthians. While Queen's Park were in London, Scotland and England met at Hampden Park in a rugby international. The Scots won by a goal (a converted try) and two tries to nothing.

The Rugby International

The first Scotland international fixture of the season took place on Saturday 21 March, with the visit of Wales to Carolina Port in Dundee. Scotland won 4-0 before a record crowd for the fixture. John Gillespie and Bob McColl were in the Scotland eleven, with Gillespie captaining the side. While Scotland were playing in Dundee, Queen's Park were in action against Third Lanark at Cathkin Park in the Glasgow League. The Spiders' side included six second eleven players - Burnett, Brookes, Irons, Lamberton, Gibbons and Mathieson. The 6,000 spectators saw the home side have slightly the better of the opening half but the score was 0-0 at the interval. A minute into the second half, Jack Peddie gave Third Lanark the lead. Then Willie Lambie scored from a penalty kick to draw the sides level. The Volunteers regained the lead with a Rab Beveridge shot from well out and John Dunlop and Peddie extended the winning margin to 4-1 before the end.

On Wednesday 25 March, the Anglo-Scots were given the opportunity to impress the selectors when they met the Home Scots in the final trial match for the big game with England. The trial attracted a crowd of 17,000 to Ibrox Park. Kenny Anderson and John Gillespie played for the Home Scots.

Scotland (without Anglos) met Ireland in Belfast on Saturday 28 March. Kenny Anderson, Johnny Cameron, Willie Lambie and Bob McColl played for Scotland in a 3-3 draw. McColl scored twice in the match. On the same afternoon, Queen's Park faced Rangers at Ibrox in the Glasgow League. As on the previous Saturday, the Spiders were considerably understrength, with seven Strollers in the side. Rangers were missing Jock Drummond and Neilly Gibson who were playing for Scotland. The heavy ground told on the young Queen's players and the team went down to a 7-2 defeat. Tom Crookston and William Gibbons scored the Spiders' two goals.

The third of the three international fixtures took place on Saturday 4 April 1896. This was the big one - Scotland v England. The match drew a world record crowd of 51,345 to Celtic Park. Willie Lambie played in the game and scored the first goal in a 2-1 victory for Scotland. Queen's Park had supported the selection of Anglo-Scots but it had resulted in only one Spider being included in the side. 

Two days after the England game, Queen's Park travelled to the north-east of England to take on Sunderland. There was a crowd of 5,000 in attendance. Queen's played the more attractive football in the first half but Sunderland offered more of a threat and Kenny Anderson had to pull off some great saves. The Spiders had the benefit of a strong breeze in the second half and dominated for a lengthy spell. However, towards the end, Sunderland got on top and scored two unanswered goals through Johnny Campbell and Jimmy Millar. 

It was back to the Glasgow League on Saturday 11 April and another defeat for the Spiders. Their opponents on this occasion were near-neighbours Third Lanark. A crowd of 3,000 at Hampden Park saw Queen's have more of the play in the first half but go behind to a dipping Robert Barbour shot in 30 minutes. Bob McColl hit the bar in the second half and Willie Lambie had a goal chalked off for offside. However, the Volunteers did more of the attacking and scored a deserved second goal when James Steel took advantage of slackness in the Queen's defence. There was no further scoring.

The Glasgow League fixtures continued and, on Saturday 18 April, Queen's Park faced Rangers at Hampden Park. Queen's were able to field a stronger side on this occasion and were hopeful of a victory but it was not to be. Queen's made a bright start to the match but it was Rangers who opened in the scoring in ten minutes through either McIntyre or Whyte. The Spiders continued to have more of the play and Willie Lambie equalised from long range. Rangers picked up at this point and Peter McIntyre put them back ahead shortly before the interval. The second half was lively and exciting. Queen's Park strove hard for the equaliser but were thwarted by Rangers' tall goalkeeper James Yuill who performed heroics to keep the Spiders at bay. The game finished in a 2-1 victory for the Light Blues. 

On Tuesday 21 April, a Queen's Park side containing only three regulars visited Johnstone in Renfrewshire. A large crowd saw the local team hold out until half-time but Queen's eventually won 3-0. Bob McColl scored two of the goals.

Queen's Park played their final Glasgow League match on Saturday 25 April and, on this occasion, the two points were secured. The Spiders' opponents were Celtic. There was a crowd of 6,000 at Parkhead on a beautiful afternoon. In the first half, playing against the wind, Queen's Park were under pressure but there was no score at half-time. It was a different story in the second half. The Spiders produced some brilliant forward play. Dyke Berry opened the scoring with a neat goal in 52 minutes. Bob McColl, in fine form, then scored twice to complete a 3-0 victory. The defeat of Celtic gave Rangers the championship.

The season finished as usual with the Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup. The four clubs invited to participate were those involved in the Glasgow League. Queen's Park had been drawn against Third Lanark in the first round, or semi-final, of the competition. The attendance of 10,000 on Saturday 2 May at neutral Celtic Park was seen as disappointing. David Stewart returned to the Spiders' line-up. Bob McColl opened the scoring for Queen's but goals from John Dunlop or William Garside and James Steel put Third Lanark into a 2-1 lead. Willie Lambie drew the sides level at half-time with a terrific shot. The match looked like ending in a draw after 90 minutes but, just as extra time loomed, Willie Lambie popped up with the winning goal to give Queen's a slightly fortunate victory. The Scottish Referee reported, "A large number of ladies occupied a prominent position on the grand stand, and when the Queen's scored in the last second of the game they waved their handkerchiefs, and showed every manifestation of feminine joy."

At the AGM of the SFA on Tuesday 5 May, it was agreed that goal nets would be used in the semi-finals and final of the Scottish Cup. 

Queen's Park's final match of the season was the Glasgow Charity Cup Final against Celtic at Ibrox Park on Saturday 16 May 1896. The Spiders team at Ibrox was - K L Anderson; J Gillespie and H F Smith; J Allison, R McFarlane and D Stewart; T Crookston, T S Waddell, R S McColl, J Cameron and W A Lambie. The weather on the day was extremely warm and the pitch very hard. Celtic, with the benefit of a stiff breeze, took the lead in 10 minutes when Sandy McMahon fired home a tremendous shot. Queen's Park dominated the second half and equalised in 75 minutes when Willie Lambie beat two men before slotting the ball into the net. At the end of the 90 minutes, the score was one apiece and extra time was played. Queen's Park were badly handicapped in extra time when they lost Bob McFarlane to a head injury. Just at the end of the first 15 minute period, Allan Martin scored to win the match for Celtic. It was the fifth year in a row that the Parkhead side had lifted the trophy.

The Queen's Park AGM took place on Thursday 28 May. William Sellar was re-elected President and it was reported that the balance in the bank stood at £1,432 2s 1d. 

Queen's Park's second eleven, the Strollers, finished off a fine season by beating Rangers 3-0 in the Glasgow Reserve Cup Final on Thursday 28 May. The Strollers had, of course, already won the Scottish Second Eleven Cup and finished in third place in the Scottish Reserve League.        

Results 1895/96

First Eleven
24/08/1895 Ayr Parkhouse 0 Queen's Park 4
31/08/1895 Queen's Park 6 Port Glasgow Athletic 1
07/09/1895 Queen's Park 1 Renton 1
14/09/1895 Queen's Park 3 Leith Athletic 2
21/09/1895 Rangers 2 Queen's Park 2 - Glasgow Cup
28/09/1895 Queen's Park 3 Rangers 2 - Glasgow Cup replay
12/10/1895 Queen's Park 2 Sunderland 5
19/10/1895 Third Lanark 1 Queen's Park 4 - Glasgow Cup
26/10/1895 Queen's Park 1 Partick Thistle 5
02/11/1895 Clyde 3 Queen's Park 5 - Glasgow Cup semi-final
09/11/1895 Queen's Park 6 Dundee 2
16/11/1895 Queen's Park 3 Celtic 6 - Glasgow Cup Final (Ibrox Park)
23/11/1895 Queen's Park 1 St Bernard's 1
30/11/1895 Wishaw Thistle 2 Queen's Park 5
07/12/1895 Kilmarnock Athletic 1 Queen's Park 2
14/12/1895 Queen's Park 2 Hibernian 1
21/12/1895 Clyde 3 Queen's Park 0
01/01/1896 Queen's Park 3 Corinthians (London) 3
04/01/1896 Third Lanark 2 Queen's Park 6
18/01/1896 Celtic 2 Queen's Park 4 - Scottish Cup
25/01/1896 Queen's Park 8 Port Glasgow Athletic 1 - Scottish Cup
01/02/1896 Queen's Park 1 Celtic 2 - Glasgow League
08/02/1896 Queen's Park 2 St Bernard's 3 - Scottish Cup
22/02/1896 Ayr Parkhouse 3 Queen's Park 2
29/02/1896 Beith 1 Queen's Park 8
14/03/1896 Corinthians (London) 1 Queen's Park 2
21/03/1896 Third Lanark 4 Queen's Park 1 - Glasgow League
28/03/1896 Rangers 7 Queen's Park 2 - Glasgow League
06/04/1896 Sunderland 2 Queen's Park 0
11/04/1896 Queen's Park 0 Third Lanark 2 - Glasgow League
18/04/1896 Queen's Park 1 Rangers 2 - Glasgow League
21/04/1896 Johnstone 0 Queen's Park 3
25/04/1896 Celtic 0 Queen's Park 3 - Glasgow League
02/05/1896 Third Lanark 2 Queen's Park 3 - Glasgow Charity Cup
16/05/1896 Queen's Park 1 Celtic 2 - Glasgow Charity Cup Final (Ibrox Park)

Second Eleven - The Strollers
31/08/1895 Niddrie Bluebell 5 Strollers 2
14/09/1895 2nd Partick Thistle 0 Strollers 2 - Scottish 2nd X1 Cup
21/09/1895 Union (Helensburgh) 0 Strollers 4
28/09/1895 Bathgate 2 Strollers 1
05/10/1895 Strollers 9 2nd Cambuslang 0 - Scottish 2nd XI Cup
19/10/1895 Strollers 5 2nd Clyde 3
26/10/1895 Hamilton Academical 4 Strollers 0
02/11/1895 Strollers 10 2nd Annbank 2 - Scottish 2nd XI Cup
09/11/1895 2nd Third Lanark 4 Strollers 9
16/11/1895 Kilbirnie 1 Strollers 2
23/11/1895 Camelon 3 Strollers 3
30/11/1895 Strollers 4 Rangers 'A' 2 - Scottish 2nd XI Cup semi-final
14/12/1895 2nd Partick Thistle 0 Strollers 3
21/12/1895 Strollers 5 2nd Clyde 0
28/12/1895 Leith Athletic 'A' 1 Strollers 5 - Scottish 2nd XI Cup Final (Easter Road)
25/01/1896 Kilbarchan 1 Strollers 0
01/02/1896 Heart of Midlothian 'A' 5 Strollers 3 - Scottish Reserve League
08/02/1896 Bo'ness 1 Strollers 3
15/02/1896 Strollers 4 Rangers 'A' 1 - Scottish Reserve League
22/02/1896 Celtic 'A' 2 Strollers 1 - Scottish Reserve League
21/03/1896 Leith Athletic 'A' 3 Strollers 4 - Scottish Reserve League
28/03/1896 2nd Third Lanark 4 Strollers 3
25/04/1896 Strollers 5 Celtic 'A' 2 - Scottish Reserve League
02/05/1896 Strollers 0 Heart of Midlothian 'A' 4 - Scottish Reserve League
06/05/1896 Strollers 3 Rangers 'A' 0 - Glasgow Reserve XI Cup Final
09/05/1896 Rangers 'A' 1 Strollers 2 - Scottish Reserve League
13/05/1896 Celtic 'A' 2 Strollers 3 - Scottish Reserve League
16/05/1896 Strollers 5 Leith Athletic 'A' 0 - Scottish Reserve League 

Third Eleven - The Hampden Eleven
07/09/1895 Bannock 3 Hampden Eleven 6
21/09/1895 Troon 2 Hampden Eleven 8
28/09/1895 West Calder Wanderers 3 Hampden Eleven 0
05/10/1895 Glasgow Perthshire 1 Hampden Eleven 5
12/10/1895 Tillicoultry Victoria 5 Hampden Eleven 1
19/10/1895 Strathclyde 3 Hampden Eleven 2
26/10/1895 2nd Victoria (Renfrew) 2 Hampden Eleven 5
02/11/1895 2nd Airdrieonians 2 Hampden Eleven 2
09/11/1895 Greenock Volunteers 1 Hampden Eleven 1
21/12/1895 Glasgow Perthshire 5 Hampden Eleven 2
01/01/1896 2nd Aberdeen 3 Hampden Eleven 1
04/01/1896 Strathclyde 7 Hampden Eleven 1
11/01/1896 Ashfield 1 Hampden Eleven 5
25/01/1896 Maryhill 0 Hampden Eleven 4
14/03/1896 Baillieston Thistle 2 Hampden Eleven 2
21/03/1896 Dunfermline 2 Hampden Eleven 2
28/03/1896 Hampden Eleven 4 Ellangowan (Dennistoun) 1
11/04/1896 Dunoon Rangers 2 Hampden Eleven 5
18/04/1896 Gourock 2 Hampden Eleven 4

Fourth Eleven - The Victoria Eleven
07/09/1895 Largs Thistle 2 Victoria Eleven 1
14/09/1895 Tillicoultry Victoria 4 Victoria Eleven 3
14/12/1895 Kilmacolm 0 Victoria Eleven 4
21/12/1895 Myrtle (Maryhill) 2 Victoria Eleven 2
08/02/1896 Greenock Wanderers 5 Victoria Eleven 1
15/02/1896 Jordanhill played the Victoria Eleven (score not known)
28/03/1896 Alva 0 Victoria Eleven 1

Representative Matches
07/12/1895 Glasgow 3 Sheffield 1
21/03/1896 Scotland 4 Wales 0
28/03/1896 Ireland 3 Scotland 3
04/04/1896 Scotland 2 England 1

1 comment:

  1. I've learned about the subject and writing skills of your articles, and they're consistently excellent. CPS Counter is also the subject of an article that is worth reading. Our website also has capabilities that allow users to share their CPS results and challenge a friend.