Season 1886/87

Season 1886/87 got under way with an unusual fixture. On Tuesday 17 August, Queen’s Park played Rugby Rovers at Hampden Park. The Rugby Rovers side was drawn from the ranks of Glasgow Academicals, Glasgow University and West of Scotland. The match was played under Association rules but with a rugby ball. (Rugby balls in those days were of a shape somewhere between the footballs and rugby balls of today.) Queen’s Park won the match 4-0. The fixture was a great success and £10 was handed over to the Langside Dorcas Society, a charity that provided clothing to the poor.

On the following Saturday, a Glasgow side and a Perth/Dundee select met in the opening fixture at the St Johnstone football ground in Perth. The Glasgow team, composed almost entirely of Queen’s Park players, won 6-1.

A “scratch” Queen’s Park team played Rutherglen away on Friday 20 August. The game finished in a 0-0 draw. However, Queen’s Park’s first proper match of the season took place on Saturday 28 August 1886 when Cowlairs were beaten 3-1 at Hampden Park by a Spiders' side composed of a mixture of first and second eleven players. The match was of an hour's duration and the scorers are unclear. The Cowlairs match formed part of the programme for the preliminary day of the Queen’s Park Amateur Athletic Sports. The main event took place on the following Saturday. The Queen’s Park Sports was the leading event of the athletics world in Scotland and attracted a high-quality field.

Saturday 11 September was Scottish Cup first round day. Queen’s Park had been drawn away to Partick Thistle. The Jags had erected a grandstand at their Inchview ground in Whiteinch for the occasion and the game attracted a crowd of around 5,000, despite terrible weather. Queen’s were behind twice in a closely-contested match but eventually won 3-2. Johnny Lambie got the first goal, Jimmy Hamilton headed the second and the third came from either Lambie or George Somerville (reports varied). Queen's were under siege in the last ten minutes but held on.

Queen’s Park had another encounter with Rugby Rovers at Hampden Park on Tuesday 14 September. On this occasion, it was 15-a-side under rugby rules. An Association football was used in the first half and a rugby ball in the second. Rovers won by two goals and three tries to one goal. (A goal was a converted try.) The two games with Rugby Rovers raised a significant sum for charity.

On the following Saturday, Queen’s Park lost 4-2 to Vale of Leven before a couple of thousand fans in Alexandria. The Spiders’ first goal came from a free kick, but it is not known who got the final touch. John Allan scored the second.

Professionalism had now been legalised in England and one of the leading professional sides, Preston North End, visited Hampden Park for a challenge match on Monday, 25 September 1886. The match attracted a crowd of around 8,000, including quite a few from south of the border. It became obvious early in the game that some of the Queen's players were suffering from a lack of training. The Spiders were completely outplayed and the Lancashire side recorded a 6-1 victory. Reports varied as to who scored the Queen’s Park goal. It came from William Turner, George Somerville or one of the Allans close to the end. Scottish News commented, "This is undoubtedly the worst defeat the premier Scotch club has experienced in its history."

William Turner

Queen’s Park had a much simpler task on the following Saturday when they met the Govan junior club Whitefield in the second round of the Scottish Cup. Queen’s won the tie 7-0 before a crowd of around 2,000 at Hampden Park. The first goal came from a “combined rush”. The other six goals were scored by George Somerville (3), Johnny Lambie (2) and William "Willie" Berry.

On Thursday 7 October, the Glasgow Autumn Holiday, Queen’s Park made what had become an annual trip to Perry Barr to play Aston Villa before a crowd of 4,000. The Spiders had the best of the first half, but George Somerville missed three easy chances. Queen’s opened the scoring through William Turner from a Lambie cross but Villa hit back with three unanswered goals. Aston Villa were not in the best of form at the time and an English correspondence in Scottish Athletic Journal described the Spiders’ team as “the worst Queen’s Park side ever.”

The Spiders’ poor form continued two days later at Beechwood Park in Dalmarnock.  Although they succeeded in beating Thistle 4-3, this was not considered a good performance. According to the Glasgow Herald, the scorers were George Somerville (2), and Bill Harrower (2). However, the North British Daily Mail and Scottish News credited the second goal to Johnny Lambie rather than Somerville.

Questions were being asked about the level of physical fitness amongst the Queen’s Park squad. Nearly every other leading club employed a professional trainer. However, Queen’s did not do so, and a number of the players were not in the best of shape. The club had previously employed a man called Fairlie when important matches were coming up but appeared unwilling to repeat the practice.

Queen’s Park had been expected to play Preston North End in the FA Cup on Saturday 16 October 1886. However, the match was postponed due to three Preston players having been selected to play for Lancashire that day. Instead, the Spiders fulfilled the fixture originally scheduled for that date – an away match against Rangers. The game attracted the biggest crowd of the season to Kinning Park, with around 6,000 in attendance. Bill Harrower put Queen’s ahead, but Jim Buchanan equalised and the sides were level at half-time.  Queen’s Park dominated the second half and scored a further three unanswered goals to secure a 4-1 victory. According to the Glasgow Herald, the second half scorers were William Turner, John Allan and David Allan. The North British Daily Mail, on the other hand, went for Bill Harrower, George Somerville and David Allan. Glasgow News opted for Bill Harrower or Alex Hamilton (unclear who got final touch), John Allan and David Allan. 

A week later, Queen’s Park were at Brockville Park facing Falkirk in the third round of the Scottish Cup. Queen’s beat the Bairns 8-3 before a large crowd but, as was so often the case, the scorers varied from report to report. The North British Daily Mail went for D S Allan (2), A Hamilton (2), Somerville (2), Lambie and an own goal. The Scottish Athletic Journal opted for D S Allan (2), Somerville (2), A Hamilton, Jamieson, Lambie and an own goal. 

On Saturday 30 October, the eagerly-awaited English FA Cup first round tie between Queen’s Park and Preston North End took place at Hampden Park. The size of the crowd was described as “a number unprecedented in the history of the Association game in Scotland.” The roads around Hampden were crowded with cabs, carriages and omnibuses and the Cathcart Railway put on a large number of special trains. In addition, three special trains brought fans from Lancashire. Some 15,200 paid at the gate and, when the Queen’s Park members, season ticket-holders, ladies etc were taken into account, there were around 17,000 people inside the ground. Up to 5,000 more watched the action from rooftops and from the rising ground to the south of the stadium.  

The Queen’s Park side that took the field was – George Gillespie; Walter Arnott and Robert Smellie; Allan Stewart and John Gow; John Lambie, Alex Hamilton, George Somerville, William Harrower, John Allan and David Allan.

In preparation for the game, Preston North End had trained for a fortnight at the seaside and then spent a couple of days on the Clyde coast. As expected, they proved too strong for Queen’s Park. However, Queen’s played much better than expected, despite going down to a 3-0 defeat. Mr Fairlie had been brought in as trainer as the match approached and this may have proved beneficial. The result was a fair reflection of the play.

In the closing minutes of the match, a very unfortunate incident occurred. One of Preston’s eight Scottish professional players, Jimmy Ross, made a low charge from behind on Bill Harrower, causing the Queen’s forward to turn a complete somersault and land heavily on the back of his head. As Harrower lay stunned on the ground, the spectators erupted with rage. At the end of the game, the crowd rushed on to the pitch and made straight for Ross. Queen’s Park players protected him on the way to the pavilion and did their best to parry blows aimed at the Preston man. The crowd then gathered round the pavilion calling for Ross to be brought out. The Hampden Park groundsman Sandy Maxwell got a terrified Ross out of a back window. He and Queen’s half back Allan Stewart ran across the fields, with several persons initially in pursuit, until reaching safety in Polmadie. In a subsequent interview with Scottish Umpire, Ross said that he had thought that Bill Harrower was going to head the ball and that he had run at him intending to shove him off. However, the Queen’s man had jumped higher than he had anticipated. Jimmy Ross was not the only Preston North End player to experience the wrath of the public. The Preston players were jeered when they left the ground. One player, Johnny Graham, was set upon. He fought his way onto a tramcar but was hauled off by a policeman who marched him to Strathbungo Police Station. He was detained there for a couple of hours before being released on payment of two pounds by his friends. A hostile crowd gathered at Central Station as some of the Preston players were leaving Glasgow, but a serious riot was averted by the action of officials who kept a barricade intact. 

A week after the Preston match, Queen’s Park had a match with Renton at Hampden Park.  Neither the Queen’s players nor the club’s supporters appeared to be up for the game and the 2,000 who did turn up saw the Spiders slump to a 4-0 defeat.

On Saturday 13 November, Queen’s Park made the short trip to Bridgeton to take on Clyde.  The match attracted a crowd of at least 5,000, one of the largest ever attendances at Barrowfield Park. Queen’s were much improved from the previous Saturday and won by four goals to nil. David Allan opened the scoring and John Allan got the other three goals.

Football could be a dangerous game in the 1880s and Queen’s Park took the decision to insure the players in their three teams against injury.

Queen’s Park secured another 4-0 win on Saturday 20 November. Their opponents on this occasion were Northern and the match was played at Hyde Park in Springburn. John Allan scored a hat trick, with the other goal likely to have come from William Watt.

On Monday 27 November, Queen’s Park travelled to Whiteinch to take on Partick Thistle at Inchview. The Spiders were without Walter Arnott who captained the Glasgow side that drew 2-2 with London at Hampden Park. Queen's won 4-1 in a game of two halves of 30 minutes. The goals came from William Watt, Johnny Lambie, Alex Hamilton and a scrimmage.

Alex Hamilton

Queen’s Park had received a bye in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup. In the fifth round, they were drawn at home to Cambuslang. The match took place at Hampden Park on Saturday 4 December 1886 and attracted a crowd of 3,000, considerably more than expected. The Spiders took the lead in 30 minutes through William Watt but, with Jamieson injured early in the match and lame thereafter, they struggled to hold on to the lead. Cambuslang finally equalised with a headed goal in 85 minutes. But for the heroics of George Gillespie in goal, Queen’s would have lost the match.

The replay took place a week later at Whitefield Park in Cambuslang. A crowd of up to 4,000 was in attendance and it was said that almost every male in the village was at the match.  Cambuslang had erected a large grandstand for the occasion and it was packed with Queen’s Park fans. Queen’s went into a 5-0 lead in the match and appeared to be on easy street.  Indeed, with 20 minutes remaining, a spectator was heard to remark, “It’s all over now but the shouting.” However, Cambuslang then scored four goals in eleven minutes. With John Allan a virtual passenger, Queen’s were hanging on desperately at the finish and only just escaped with the win. According to the Glasgow Herald, the Queen’s Park scorers were Turner, Lambie, Turner, Lambie and Watt. The North British Daily Mail went for Turner, Lambie, Hamilton, McWhannell and Watt. The Scotsman, on the other hand, opted for Lambie, scrimmage, Hamilton, Lambie and Watt. Only one Hamilton brother played so it is likely to have been Alex Hamilton.

Queen’s Park had been scheduled to play at Dumbarton on Saturday 16 December, but the match was called off due to severe frost.

On Christmas Day, Queen’s Park were at Rugby Park taking on Kilmarnock in the sixth round or quarter-final of the Scottish Cup. There was a blustery wind and the rain fell in torrents. As a result, the ground was very soft and the crowd smaller than hoped. Despite the state of the pitch, Queen’s were comfortable winners. John Allan opened the scoring in seven minutes and William Watt then scored three times. The other goal in a 5-0 victory came when Killie ‘keeper James Richmond’s clearance hit off one of his own defenders and through the goal. Queen's Park had been scheduled to play in Preston on 25 December but the match had to be called off because of the cup tie. Preston North End were not at all happy about the cancellation.  

Queen’s Park’s next game was their annual New Year’s Day fixture with the English invitational side Corinthians. The match created a great deal of interest and attracted a crowd of somewhere between 15,000 and 18,000. The attendance was around double that of the previous year and was put down partly to the fact that the price of admission was sixpence, rather than the one shilling charged in 1886. The London side won by three goals to one in a game that was of good quality, despite the pitch being a sheet of ice below a surface of slush. John Allan scored the Queen’s goal. The Corinthians goals came from Fred Dewhurst, John Challen and a Bob Smellie own goal. The Queen’s Park team was – Connor; Arnott and Smellie; Campbell, Jones and Stewart; D S Allan, J Allan, Watt, Lambie and A Hamilton.

The Queen's Park Strollers were in Birmingham facing 2nd Aston Villa. A crowd of 5,000 saw the Strollers go down by two goals to one on a pitch that was a sheet of ice.

Aston Villa’s senior side visited Hampden Park on Monday 3 January 1887. In an eventful afternoon, the match was abandoned at half-time and was marred by serious crowd trouble.  The weather on the day was dreadful and the pitch a quagmire. The heavy rain before kick-off turned to snow and there was a bitingly cold wind. Given the terrible conditions, only about 3,000 turned up for the match. Aston Villa dominated the first half and were 5-1 up at the interval. Alex Hamilton got the Queen’s goal. Both sides were by then exhausted and benumbed with cold. Two or three players on each side, including the Villa captain, absolutely refused to continue and it was decided to abandon the game. The crowd was far from happy at the decision. Several hundred spectators gathered in front of the pavilion, shouting “Gie’s oor money back”, and attempted to access the building. The half dozen police present managed to hold back the crowd until reinforcements arrived. Before the ground was cleared, one of the gates was smashed and the goal posts torn down. Queen's Park gave their share of the gate - £22 14s 8d - to the Charity Organisation Society.

The Queen’s Park Strollers were still down south on Monday 3 January, drawing 0-0 with Derby Midland FC.  (In 1891, Derby Midland merged with Derby County.) 

Queen’s Park had been scheduled to play Morton at Cappielow on Saturday 8 January but pulled out due to frost and snow. The match took place on the following Saturday. Queen’s arrived late and the game was limited to two halves of 35 minutes. Several of the Spiders’ intended eleven were missing and replaced by men who had accompanied the team to Greenock. The second eleven's left winger, Jamieson, ended up playing in goal. Queen’s Park opened the scoring through Bill Sellar or Alex Hamilton but Morton went on to win 4-1 before a crowd of 5,000. The pitch was as hard as iron and virtually unplayable and both sides agreed that the game should be regarded as “no match”.

Queen’s Park were not in action on Saturday 22 January. A week later, Queen’s met Dumbarton at Hampden Park in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup. A crowd of around 5,500 saw the Spiders go down to a 2-1 defeat. The match was played in a strong wind and this had a significant impact on proceedings. Queen’s Park took the lead through Alex Hamilton in 10 minutes. Queen’s pressed throughout the rest of the first half but, with the visitors’ international goalkeeper James McAulay in fine form, could not add to their lead. With the wind at their backs, Dumbarton had the better of the second period. William Robertson equalised in 70 minutes and, with five minutes remaining, the Sons got the winner through Ralph Aitken. Both teams had been a bit rusty on account of a lack of action due to the wintry weather, but the Dumbarton men seemed to be in better condition.

In its report of the semi-final, the North British Daily Mail stated that “… the Dumbarton men played the roughest game we have ever seen them play on Hampden Park.” Queen’s Park protested the result, citing Dumbarton’s rough play. This was only the second time in the club’s history that a protest had been made. (The only other protest had concerned a registration issue.) Following some debate about whether Queen’s had followed the correct procedure, the protest was dismissed by the SFA on the following Thursday.

Glasgow’s annual match with Sheffield took place at Hampden Park on Saturday 5 February 1887. Walter Arnott, John Allan and Johnny Lambie played for Glasgow, as did John Harvie and Bill Sellar (as Battlefield players). Glasgow won the match 10-3. Seven of the Glasgow goals came from Allan (3), Sellar (3) and Lambie. This was the 14thmeeting of the two cities. Glasgow had eleven wins and Sheffield one win, with two drawn.

On Saturday 12 February, Queen’s Park were in London taking on Corinthians at the Kennington Oval. The match attracted a crowd of over 4,000, of which, according to The Sportsman, "... a large percentage were Scotchmen resident in the metropolis." The Corinthians line-up contained nine international players whereas the Queen’s Park side was short of five regulars. It is probably not surprising, therefore, that the English invitational side won 2-0, with goals from John Challen and Fred Dewhurst. On that same afternoon, Hibernian beat Dumbarton 2-1 at Hampden Park in the Scottish Cup Final.

Scottish Umpire reported that Queen's Park had reconstructed the south stand at Hampden Park at a cost of over £100.

A week later, Queen’s Park won 6-2 away to Kilmarnock. There was a large turnout of spectators and the match was said to have been enjoyed by the spectators. Five of the goals were scored by J Walker (2), Davie Allan, Willie Berry and Bill Sellar. The  scorer of the other goal is not known. While their team mates were in Kilmarnock, three Queen’s Park players were representing Scotland against Ireland at Hampden Park. They were Bob Smellie, Johnny Lambie and William Watt, who scored in Scotland’s 4-1 victory.

Bob Smellie

On Saturday 26 February, Queen’s Park and Vale of Leven drew 1-1 before a crowd of 3,000 at Hampden Park. William Watt scored for the Spiders. On the same day, Glasgow went down to a surprise 3-2 defeat to Edinburgh at Powderhall. John Allan and Johnny Lambie played for a Glasgow side that had suffered a number of call-offs. Bill Sellar (Battlefield) played also.

Robert Gardner, former captain of Queen's Park and Scotland, died on 28 February 1887 at the age of 39 after three months of illness. He left a widow and three children.

A week later, Walter Arnott, John Allan, Alex Hamilton and Bob Smellie, as well as Bill Sellar, played in a trial match at Cathkin Park for the upcoming Scotland v England game. At the same time, Queen’s Park, minus the men in action in the trial, met St Mirren before a big crowd at Westmarch. Queen’s won 6-2. The first goal came from a scrimmage. The scorers of the other goals are likely to have been William Watt, David Allan, Willie Berry and Jimmy Hamilton (2).

Few matches were played on Saturday 12 March due to snow but Queen’s Park’s match with 3rdLanark Rifle Volunteers at Cathkin Park went ahead. It was a benefit match for a Cowlairs player who was going to Australia for his health and the view was that it had to go ahead, irrespective of the underfoot conditions. A large number of unemployed men were engaged in the morning to clear several inches of snow. The Volunteers had been expected to win the match, but Queen’s Park achieved a 4-2 victory. Alex Hamilton scored twice and the other two goals came from David Allan and Harry Monteith. Despite the Arctic weather, 4,000 spectators turned out for the match. The Cowlairs man suffering from poor health would have received a significant sum.

On Saturday 19 March, Walter Arnott and John Allan (plus Bill Sellar) were part of the Scotland side that beat England 3-2 in Blackburn. Allan scored Scotland’s third goal. The attendance was around 10,000. The record crowd at Blackburn Rovers' ground remained the 15,000 for the visit of Queen's Park in 1883.

Two days later, John Allan and Walter Arnott (and Bill Sellar) played for Scotland in a 2-0 win over Wales in Wrexham. John Allan scored the second goal. 

On the following Saturday, there was a crowd of 5,000 at Hampden Park for the visit of Notts County. The match was marred by terrible weather.  Queen’s Park won 5-2. Four of the goals came from Bill Sellar, Alex Hamilton, Johnny Lambie and Willie Berry. The scorer of the other goal is unclear.

John Allan had been in dispute with Queen’s Park because he was being played on the left when he wanted to play on the right. Such was his annoyance that he turned out for Rangers while his team-mates were facing Notts County. Fortunately, the player and the club reached an understanding and Allan was back in the team, still on the left, when Queen’s Park took the field against Rangers on Saturday 2 April 1887. It was a very windy day and Queen’s Park scored four times in the first half with the wind at their backs. The scorers of three of the goals were Johnny Lambie and William Turner (2). The scorer of the opening goal is not known. Rangers could not take advantage of the conditions in the second period and the game ended in a 4-0 victory for Queen’s Park.  

On Saturday 9 April, Queen’s Park met London Caledonians at Hampden Park.  Caledonians arrived a man short and Queen’s veteran defender Charles Campbell played on the right wing for the visitors. Queen’s won 4-0 with second half goals from Alex Hamilton (2), William Watt and Johnny Lambie. The match was limited to two halves of 35 minutes as the Queen’s Park players had to leave at 5 o’clock for Stoke.

The Spiders played in Stoke two days later. Queen’s had the benefit of a strong wind in the first half but, despite strenuous efforts, could not score. The only goal of the game came in the second half and, to the delight of the 5,000 spectators, it was Stoke that scored it.

It was now the time of season for the Glasgow Merchants’ Charity Cup and Queen’s Park had been drawn against Dumbarton in the opening round. The match was played at Hampden Park on 16 April 1887 and attracted a crowd of 6,000 on a fine afternoon. The Spiders won the match 3-0. John Allan opened the scoring with a terrific shot, Johnny Lambie added a second and William Watt knocked home the third after Alex Hamilton charged the goalkeeper. Dumbarton had more of the play, but Queen’s Park were the more dangerous side and only James McAulay in goal saved the Sons of the Rock from a heavier defeat.

Work was continuing to improve Hampden Park. The rising ground to the south of the stadium had been enclosed and break-ins from that direction were now next to impossible. In addition, Queen's Park had purchased a horse to pull the roller on the pitch and the track. 

On Saturday 23 April, Queen’s Park travelled to Greenock to play Morton. Both sides were understrength. Queen’s led 3-0 at the interval through William Watt and Alex Hamilton (2), but had to play almost the entire second half with ten men after Jimmy Hamilton was injured. The Cappielow men took full advantage and ran out 5-3 winners.

Queen’s Park were at Deepdale on Saturday 30 April facing Preston North End for the third time that season. Cherrie, Gow, Gillespie and Watt could not get away from work and the match secretary had great difficulty in filling the spaces. There were ten refusals from players asked to fill in at centre forward. On this occasion, the match was close. The only goal of the game came in 70 minutes when John Goodall scored for the home side from a scrimmage. Despite Queen’s losing the game, it was viewed by some as a moral victory against the English professionals.

A week later, Queen’s Park and Vale of Leven met at Hampden Park in the semi-final of the Glasgow Merchant’s Charity Cup. There were around 9,000 spectators at the match. There was a strong breeze at the Spiders’ backs in the first half and they took the lead in 16 minutes when Alex Hamilton headed in a Stewart corner kick. Queen’s Park won corners galore, but the score remained at 1-0 at half-time. McColl equalised for Vale in 57 minutes, but things looked good for the Spiders with 12 minutes remaining when Johnny Lambie ran from midfield and fired home a great shot. However, the Spiders’ joy was short-lived. Vale of Leven equalised from a scrimmage almost immediately and, with three minutes remaining, the Alexandria men grabbed the winner. It was a deserved victory. George Gillespie in goal saved Queen’s from a heavier defeat.  The Queen’s Park team was – George Gillespie; Walter Arnott and Robert Smellie; John Gow, John Cherrie and Allan Stewart; William Berry, George Somerville, William Watt, John Lambie and John Allan.

The defeat suffered by Queen’s Park at the hands of Vale of Leven was described by Scottish Athletic Journal as - “The crowning disaster of a more than ordinarily disastrous season.”

On Thursday 19 May, Queen’s Park drew 3-3 at Arbroath. The crowd of around 3,500 saw an exciting game played in fine weather. The scorers of the Spiders' first two goals were Sellar and Collie own goal.  It is not known who got the third. Then, on Saturday 28 May, a scratch Queen’s Park side won 5-1 in a charity match in Camelon. A crowd of around 500 attended, with the match proceeds going to a player named Wilson who had suffered a broken leg two seasons previously. The scorers of Queen's five goals were Miller, Lambie (2) and Hamilton (2). The Spiders' centre forward in Camelon was Maley. There is a strong possibility that this was Tom Maley who went on to become a key player in the first Celtic side.

On Tuesday 24 May, six Queen's Park players - Gillespie, Arnott, Cherrie, Berry, Somerville and Alex Hamilton - were in the West of Scotland side that beat East of Scotland 3-1 at Powderhall in Edinburgh. George Somerville scored goal number three for the West side.

At the Annual General Meeting of the Scottish Football Association, a resolution was passed forbidding Scottish clubs to play for any cup other than their own national one. This marked the end of the involvement of Scots teams in the English FA Cup.

The Queen’s Park Annual Meeting was held in the Marie Stuart Hall in Crosshill on Tuesday 31 May 1887. The Match Secretary reported that the First Eleven had played 32 matches in the course of the season, with 17 wins, 12 losses and 3 drawn games - 95 goals for and 64 against. (It is difficult for us today to know what constituted a first eleven match.) The Second Eleven had played 21 games, of which 10 were won, 8 lost and 3 drawn. The Third Eleven had played 23 matches, with 12 wins, 5 losses and six draws.The Treasurer reported that finances were healthy and that the expenses incurred in connection with the construction of the new stadium (the second Hampden Park) had now been paid off. Stewart Lawrie and William Holm were elected President and Secretary respectively.

The preliminary event of the Queen’s Park Annual Sports took place on Saturday 4 June.  The main event on the following Saturday attracted a large crowd on a dull, cold day. The quality of the programme was of a high order and confirmed the Queen’s Park Sports as the country’s leading athletics meeting.

The season ended with a Queen’s Park team beating Shettleston 7-0 at Carntyne Park on Monday 13 June. The composition of the Queen’s Park side is not known. 

Results 1886/87

First Team
28/08/1886 Queen’s Park 3 Cowlairs 1
11/09/1886 Partick Thistle 2 Queen’s Park 3 - Scottish Cup
18/09/1886 Vale of Leven 4 Queen’s Park 2
25/09/1886 Queen’s Park 1 Preston North End 6
02/10/1886 Queen’s Park 7 Whitefield 0 - Scottish Cup
07/10/1886 Aston Villa 3 Queen’s Park 1
09/10/1886 Thistle 3 Queen’s Park 4
16/10/1886 Rangers 1 Queen’s Park 4
23/10/1886 Falkirk 3 Queen’s Park 8 - Scottish Cup
30/10/1886 Queen’s Park 0 Preston North End 3 - FA Cup
06/11/1886 Queen’s Park 0 Renton 4
13/11/1886 Clyde 0 Queen’s Park 4
20/11/1886 Northern 1 Queen’s Park 4
27/11/1886 Partick Thistle 1 Queen’s Park 4
04/12/1886 Queen’s Park 1 Cambuslang 1 - Scottish Cup
11/12/1886 Cambuslang 4 Queen’s Park 5 - Scottish Cup replay
25/12/1886 Kilmarnock 0 Queen’s Park 5 - Scottish Cup
01/01/1887 Queen’s Park 1 Corinthians 3
03/01/1887 Queen’s Park 1 Aston Villa 5 (match abandoned at half-time)
15/01/1887 Morton 4 Queen’s Park 1 (teams agreed “no match”)
29/01/1887 Queen’s Park 1 Dumbarton 2 - Scottish Cup semi-final
12/02/1887 Corinthians 2 Queen’s Park 0
19/02/1887 Kilmarnock 2 Queen’s Park 6
26/02/1887 Queen’s Park 1 Vale of Leven 1
05/03/1887 St Mirren 2 Queen’s Park 6
12/03/1887 3rdLanark Rifle Volunteers 2 Queen’s Park 4
26/03/1887 Queen’s Park 5 Notts County 2
02/04/1887 Queen’s Park 4 Rangers 0
09/04/1887 Queen’s Park 4 London Caledonians 0
11/04/1887 Stoke 1 Queen’s Park 0
16/04/1887 Queen’s Park 3 Dumbarton 0 - Glasgow Charity Cup
23/04/1887 Morton 5 Queen’s Park 3
30/04/1887 Preston North End 1 Queen’s Park 0
07/05/1887 Queen’s Park 2 Vale of Leven 3 - Glasgow Charity Cup semi-final
19/05/1887 Arbroath 3 Queen’s Park 3
13/06/1887 Shettleston 0 Queen’s Park 7     

Second Eleven – The Strollers
11/09/1886 Kirkcaldy Wanderers 1 Strollers 5
18/09/1886 Greenock Rangers 6 Strollers 0
02/10/1886 Vale of Leven Wanderers 9 Strollers 5
09/10/1886 Kilbirnie 8 Strollers 1
16/10/1886 Strollers 4 Rangers Swifts 1
23/10/1886 Irvine Academicals 2 Strollers 2
06/11/1886 Kirkintilloch Central 1 Strollers 12 - Scottish Second XI Cup
13/11/1886 Camelon 3 Strollers 1
27/11/1886 Thistle 0 Strollers 4 - Scottish Second XI Cup
04/12/1886 Shettleston 4 Strollers 3 (or 4-2)
11/12/1886 Strollers 2 Irvine Academicals 0
01/01/1887 2ndAston Villa 2 Strollers 1
03/01/1887 Derby Midland 0 Strollers 0
29/01/1887 Dumbarton Rangers 3 Strollers 2 - Scottish Second XI Cup
12/02/1887 Dunblane 3 Strollers 4
19/02/1887 King's Park 1 Strollers 4
05/03/1887 Strollers 3 Camelon 1
19/03/1887 Monkcastle (Kilwinning) 4 Strollers 2
26/03/1887 Irvine Academicals 3 Strollers 3
09/04/1887 Dunblane 2 Strollers 2
23/04/1887 Queen of the South Wanderers 3 Strollers 0

Third Eleven – The Hampden Eleven
18/09/1886 Greenock Rangers 6 Hampden Eleven 0
16/10/1886 Uddingston 3 Hampden Eleven 7
06/11/1886 2nd Falkirk 7 Hampden Eleven 1
20/11/1886 Uddingston 1 Hampden Eleven 0 (or 0-0)
04/12/1886 2nd Neilston 1 Hampden Eleven 3
11/12/1886 St Mirren Westmarch XI 1 Hampden Eleven 3
25/12/1886 2nd Lochwinnoch 3 Hampden Eleven 5
01/01/1887 Oban 2 Hampden Eleven 4
03/01/1887 Vale of Bannock 2 Hampden Eleven 2
08/01/1887 Plains 1 Hampden Eleven 1
15/01/1887 2nd Camelon 1 Hampden Eleven 1
22/01/1887 Newmains Thistle 3 Hampden Eleven 1
29/01/1887 Blantyre Primrose 0 Hampden Eleven 1
05/02/1887 Grahamston 0 Hampden Eleven 0
19/02/1887 Ensign (Ardrossan) 3 Hampden Eleven 3
26/02/1887 Kirkintilloch Athletic 2 Hampden Eleven 3
19/03/1887 Dunipace 1 Hampden Eleven 6
26/03/1887 Hampden Eleven v Oban (result not known)
02/04/1887 2nd Camelon 0 Hampden Eleven 6
11/04/1887 Ensign (Ardrossan) 3 Hampden Eleven 4
16/04/1887 Larkhall Thistle 3 Hampden Eleven 1 (score unclear)
23/04/1887 Braidwood 1 Hampden Eleven 2 

(Scottish Athletic Journal stated on 26 April 1887 that the Hampden Eleven had played 23 matches in the season, with 13 wins, 5 losses and 5 draws.)

Other Match
20/08/1886 Rutherglen 0 Queen's Park XI 0
28/05/1887 Camelon 1 Queen’s Park XI 5

Representative Matches
27/11/1886 Glasgow 2 London 2
05/02/1887 Glasgow 10 Sheffield 3
19/02/1887 Scotland 4 Ireland 1
26/02/1887 Edinburgh 3 Glasgow 2
19/03/1887 England 2 Scotland 3
21/03/1887 Wales 0 Scotland 2
24/05/1887 East of Scotland 1 West of Scotland 3

No comments:

Post a Comment