Season 1885/86

Queen's Park started their preparations for the new season in late June with a series of Tuesday evening practice matches that continued until the end of July. At that point, practice switched to every Monday and Wednesday.

At a meeting of the Football Association in London on Monday 20 July 1885, professionalism in English football was adopted by a large majority. Professional players would not be allowed to play for more than one club in a season and would have to be registered annually with the FA.

On Saturday 15 August, St Johnstone's new ground in Perth was opened with a match between a Glasgow Eleven and Our Boys of Dundee. The Glasgow team, which very much resembled a strong Queen's Park side, won 6-0. 

Queen’s Park’s opening game of season 1885/86 took place on Saturday 22 August 1885.  Queen’s travelled to Dundee to play Strathmore at Rollo’s Pier and recorded a 3-1 victory.  Bill Harrower scored all three goals. Johnny Lambie was injured after only 12 minutes and was a mere passenger before leaving the field for good just after half-time.

A decision had been taken that the Queen's Park second eleven would now be known as the Strollers. Their first game under the new name on Saturday 22 August resulted in a 2-1 defeat of Queen of the South Wanderers in Dumfries.

Queen’s Park’s first home game of the season took place on Saturday 29 August. The occasion was a Scottish Cup first round tie against Partick side St Peter’s. Queen’s won 16-0 in a completely one-sided match. George Gillespie was only called upon once “to defend his charge”. The Glasgow News reported that the first six goals came from Bob Christie (2), William Watt, Davie Allan, Alex Hamilton and Johnny Lambie and that Christie also scored the ninth. The scorers of the other nine goals are not known but the North British Daily Mail reported that Bob Christie “obtained nearly half the goals”. This would imply that he scored seven times. The player himself was quoted as saying that he scored about half the goals. St Peter’s was an "Irish" club, which had come about as a result of the amalgamation of Partick Hibernian and Partick Celtic. The 16-0 victory remains to this day Queen’s Park’s record score.

A week later, Queen’s Park’s Amateur Sports were held at Hampden Park. Despite the morning having been wet, a crowd of over 6,000 attended. This was viewed as a disappointing turnout. Many athletes from England travelled north to take part. The North British Daily Mail commented that the Sports, “… proved one of the most enjoyable, if not, indeed, the finest athletic displays ever seen in Scotland.”

On Wednesday 9 September, Queen’s Park and Rangers met at Hampden Park in a benefit match for the former Queen’s Park and Scotland star Eadie Fraser, who was suffering from ill health. Rangers won a fast-paced match by two goals to one. George Somerville scored twice for Rangers. The Queen's Park scorer is unknown. Queen's were at pains to point out that the game was unofficial. Eadie Fraser had taken ill with tuberculosis when working in Africa and had to return home. His doctor had advised him to go to Australia for the benefit of his health. Unfortunately, the weather on the evening of the benefit match was wet and raw and the attendance was very small. However, it was considered that the receipts from the match, together with private subscriptions, would enable Eadie to make a fair start down under.  

A special committee of the Scottish Football Association met in Glasgow on Thursday 10 September to consider the issue of professionalism. The meeting came out strongly in favour of Scottish football remaining amateur. There was also a substantial majority in favour of a bye-law preventing Scots clubs playing against professional sides.

On Saturday 12 September, Queen’s Park met Hibernian at Easter Road. Despite stormy weather, which left the pitch soft and slippery, a large crowd turned out for the game. An understrength Queen’s Park side lost 2-1. William Watt scored the Spiders’ goal. Hibernian were said to have been jubilant at beating Queen's.

On the following Saturday, Queen’s Park welcomed Blackburn Rovers to Hampden Park.  Earlier in the week, Queen’s had received a telegram from Rovers stating that, due to the SFA refusing to recognise professional players, they were unable to send their full team north. They would instead send a scratch side of amateur players. Queen’s Park won the match 7-1 before a crowd of 3,000, with goals from William Watt, Bill Harrower, Jimmy Hamilton (2), Johnny Lambie, Bob Christie and David Allan. The Blackburn side, minus their imported Scotsmen, were no match for the Spiders. On the same afternoon, Rovers fielded a professional side against local rivals Blackburn Olympic and won 3-0.

Also on Saturday 19 September, what was described as "a very fair team from the Queen's Park spare division" visited Kilmarnock to open Welbeck Park, the new ground of the Britannia club. The Spiders were beaten 4-3 by Britannia.  

On Saturday 26 September, the visit of Rangers attracted a big crowd to Hampden Park.  Queen’s Park won a somewhat unpleasant game 3-2. The Queen’s goal scorers were Johnny Lambie, Bill Harrower and Bob Christie. Alex McKenzie and George Somerville replied for the Light Blues. 

A week later, Queen’s Park were in Scottish Cup second round action against Pilgrims at Hampden Park. The game had been expected to be very one-sided, following Pilgrims’ 10-1 loss to Vale of Leven on the previous weekend, and the attendance was meagre.  However, the Govan side did very well and lost narrowly by the only goal of the game. The scorer of the goal is not known.

On Thursday 8 October, Queen’s Park journeyed to Ayr for a match with Ayr FC at Beresford Park. The match generated great interest in the town. The result was a 2-2 draw. Although the Spiders fielded what was close to a full-strength side, they played as the Queen's Park Musical and Dramatic Association so the game does not count as a Queen's Park fixture.

There were further English visitors to Hampden Park on Saturday 10 October. On this occasion, it was old friends Notts County. Although the County side included only four of their regular starting eleven, a large crowd saw some fine football. Queen’s Park won 5-1, with goals from Harry Evans, Bob Christie, Bill Harrower (2) and Johnny Lambie. Harry Daft replied for Notts.

The North British Daily Mail reported on Wednesday 14 October that the SFA had resolved, in association with the Irish and Welsh Associations, to recommend to the English FA that they play amateurs only in the forthcoming international matches.

On Monday 17 October, Queen’s Park met Dumbarton at Boghead Park. The match created “the greatest possible interest” and the ropes and grandstand were crowded long before kick-off.  A splendid game ended in a 3-2 victory for the Spiders. The goals came from Ninian McWhannell (2) and Jimmy Hamilton. 17-year-old Robert "Bob" Smellie from Hamilton made his debut in the match. This was Queen's first win at Boghead. 

Queen’s Park had been drawn away to East Stirlingshire in the third round of the Scottish Cup. In a preview of the match, the Evening Times said - “The premier club must not look upon their opponents as mere juveniles. They can play an excellent passing and dribbling game, and when urged on by their genial president and his supporters they make a determined effort before they succumb.” The match took place at Bainsford on Saturday 24 October and resulted in a 3-0 win for Queen’s Park. The attendance of over 3,000 was the highest to date in Falkirk district. The goal scorers for the Spiders were Bob Christie (2) and George Somerville, who had joined the club from Rangers.

No fewer than five Scottish clubs had entered that season’s English FA Cup competition and, in the first round, Queen’s Park found themselves drawn at home to Partick Thistle. The tie took place on Saturday 31 October and a crowd of around 8,000 attended, despite heavy rain. Thistle took the lead through Andrew Johnston but Queen’s hit back with five unanswered goals through George Somerville (2), David Allan, Jimmy Hamilton and unknown to progress to the second round. However, the Spiders did not get to play in the second round. Due to the difference in the rules of the two countries in relation to professional players, the club decided to take no further part in that season’s competition. Queen's Park would have been away to South Shore of Blackpool in the second round. 

On Saturday 7 November, Queen’s Park met Rangers for the second time in the season.  The game took place at Kinning Park and attracted a crowd of 4,000 on a fine afternoon.  Queen’s won 4-0, with goals from Jimmy Hamilton (2), a Vallance own goal and a goal arising from a scrimmage. The Queen’s Park side was – G Gillespie; W Arnott and A Watson; C Campbell and J Gow; J Lambie, J Hamilton, G Somerville, D Allan, W Harrower and W Gray.

Woodville "Woody" Gray

A week later, Airdrieonians visited Hampden Park in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup. Over 800 fans from the Lanarkshire town travelled to support their team. There had been heavy snow and sleet on the morning of the match, but the afternoon was more pleasant. However, the pitch was treacherous. The Airdrie goalkeeper James Connor was in brilliant form and it took the Spiders 80 minutes to score the only goal of the game. William Watt was the scorer after fine play by Jimmy Hamilton and Davie Allan.

Queen’s Park had been scheduled to travel to Birmingham on Saturday 21 November to take on Aston Villa. However, the majority of the first eleven could get away for the game and Villa would have had to field a purely amateur side. As a result, it was decided to call off the fixture. They arranged instead a match with Pollokshields Athletic at Hampden Park. A small crowd saw Queen’s win 2-0, with goals from Johnny Lambie and William Watt.

The first eleven was not in action on Saturday 28 November but a number of first team players did take the field. They travelled to Dundee as part of the Queen’s Park Musical and Dramatic Association. In the afternoon, the Queen’s lads beat Our Boys 4-1 in front of 4,000 spectators at West Craigie, with goals from George Somerville (2), Jimmy Hamilton and an own goal. Later in the day, the Association provided an evening of entertainment before a “large and highly appreciative audience” in the Caird Hall. 

Saturday 5 December 1885 was Scottish Cup 5thround day and Queen’s Park had been drawn away to Arthurlie in Barrhead. Queen’s won the match 2-1 on a very poor pitch that made dribbling and passing next to impossible. The scorers are not known. On the same afternoon, Glasgow met London at the Kennington Oval. There were no Queen’s Park players in the Glasgow side, although three players with Queen’s Park connections – Woody Gray, William McLeod and Bill Sellar – did feature. Despite fielding what was considered a weak team, the Scots won 5-2. There was also action at Hampden Park. Glasgow met Edinburgh in the inter-city rugby match, with the home side winning by a goal (a converted try) and a try to a try. This was the first rugby match played at Hampden.

A week later, an understrength Queen’s Park side beat Abercorn 4-3 at a very windy Hampden Park in a game of 70 minutes' duration. The scorer of the first goal is not known but the other goals came from William Watt, Johnny Lambie and Harry Evans.

The debate about professionalism raged on and, in the following few days, the English FA announced that they were unable to accede to the request by the Scottish, Welsh and Irish Associations to play only amateurs in the international matches and the SFA refused to allow Corinthians to include Scottish players in matches against Lancashire professional clubs.

On Saturday 19 December, Queen’s Park and Dumbarton played out a 2-2 draw at Hampden Park. David Allan and Johnny Lambie got the Queen’s goals. It was clear that the Sons v Spiders fixture no longer held the same attraction for the Glasgow public and there were only around 3,000 spectators present. 

On Boxing Day, Queen’s Park played Blackburn Rovers at the Leamington Road ground in Blackburn. The crowd of somewhere between 4,000 and 8,000 was said to have been the largest at the venue for some time. Due to the SFA’s ban on Scots clubs facing professional opponents, Blackburn were compelled to field a team of amateurs. According to one report, they borrowed players from Blackburn Olympic, Darwen, Church, Northwich Victoria and Blackpool. Another report said that the Rovers side consisted of four first team players, four from the second eleven and three local men. Queen’s Park won 3-0. Jimmy Hamilton got the first two goals. The scorer of the third is not known.

Corinthians visited Hampden Park on New Year’s Day. The North British Daily Mail described the visitors as a “combination of the best football talent in England, and include crack players from Cambridge and Oxford Universities, besides members attached to leading London clubs.” Despite disappointing weather, a large crowd of around 8,000 was in attendance to see the sides fight out a 2-2 draw. Bob Christie and Alex Hamilton scored the Queen’s goals. Nevill Cobbold and Frank Pawson replied for Corinthians.

While the first eleven was drawing with the Corinthians in Glasgow, Queen’s Park’s second eleven, the Strollers, were in Birmingham facing Aston Villa’s second string. The match at Wellington Road in Perry Barr drew a crowd of some 8,000. The Villa side contained only amateur players. The match ended in a 2-2 draw, with the Queen’s goals coming from a scrimmage and Jimmy Hamilton. Two days later, the Strollers met Derby Midland in Derby.  The biggest crowd of the season at the ground saw Queen’s Park win 3-0, with goals from M Jamieson (2) and Jimmy Hamilton.

Due to frost and snow, there were few games played on Saturday 9 January 1886 and Queen’s Park were not in action. The weather was not much better a week later when Queen’s Park were to face 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers at Cathkin Park in the seventh round or semi-final of the Scottish Cup. (Queen’s had received a bye in the sixth round.). Snow fell constantly all morning and well into the afternoon. Despite doubt as to whether the game would go ahead, between 3,000 and 4,000 spectators braved the snow, sleet, rain, wind and cold. The Queen’s Park forwards kept their feet better than their opponents and the Spiders were 3-0 ahead at half-time. Bob Christie opened the scoring with a header, either George Somerville or Bill Harrower got the second (reports varied) and Somerville fired in number three. The 3rd LRV’s captain protested at the game being played in such terrible conditions and said at the interval that three of his men were suffering from exposure. The Volunteers decided not to come out for the second half. Queen’s Park, however, did come out and dribbled the ball between the posts to claim the tie. The Volunteers’ refusal to continue did not prove popular and the Glasgow Herald reported, “The spectators were much disappointed, and exhibited their wrath against the Volunteers in various ways.” 3rd LRV protested at the referee’s decision to award the tie to Queen’s Park. The protest was considered by the SFA Business Committee on the following Thursday and was dismissed.

Queen's Park had been due to play Corinthians in London on Saturday 23 January but the game was called off due to frost. Glasgow, without any Queen's Park players, drew 2-2 with Sheffield at Bramall Lane. When Scottish club or representative sides visited England in those days, the trip involved more than simply playing a game of football. They would also visit cultural locations, factories, theatres etc. The Glasgow team left the city by train at 5pm on the Friday, arriving in Sheffield around 12.40am. After breakfast, they went on a tour of the steel works. They were then conveyed to Bramall Lane in a fine brake (large carriage), drawn by four grey horses. After the match they were treated to a splendid dinner in the Star Hotel, before going to the Theatre Royal for the pantomime "Babes in the Wood". They spent all day Sunday in Sheffield and caught the train back to Glasgow at quarter past one on the Monday morning.  

On 26 January 1886, the SFA decided not to allow Scottish players to play against professional sides in private or international matches.

Queen’s Park were at Gourlay Park in Springburn on Saturday 30 January facing Cowlairs in a benefit match for the match secretary of the home side who was in poor health. A crowd of around 1,000 on a day of poor weather saw the Spiders win 3-1, with a George Somerville hat trick in the first 15 minutes of the match.

Snow put paid to the following Saturday’s fixtures and Queen’s Park’ next match was on Saturday 13 February. The occasion was the Scottish Cup Final against Renton at Cathkin Park. Rain fell in torrents during the first half of the game and there was a gusty wind, but the crowd was treated to a good afternoon’s entertainment in difficult circumstances. There were about 8,000 spectators around the ropes and the surrounding vantage points were fully occupied. Not all of the spectators were able to get a good view of the action. The North British Daily Mail reported, “Much dissatisfaction was expressed by many who came late at being unable to get within half a dozen yards of the ropes.”

The teams lined up as follows: -

Queen's Park - George Gillespie; Walter Arnott and Andrew Watson; Charles Campbell and John Gow; Alex Hamilton, John Lambie, William Harrower, George Somerville, David Allan and Robert Christie.

Renton - John Lindsay; Andrew Hannah and Archie McCall; Robert Kelso and D McKechnie; Alex Barbour, James Kelly, Alex Grant, John McIntyre, J Thomson and James McCall.

With the wind at their backs, Queen’s Park had the better of the first half of the final and led 1-0 at the interval through a well-judged shot by Johnny Lambie. The second half was more evenly-balanced, and Renton equalised from a Bob Kelso free kick a few yards from goal. It was against the rules at the time to score direct from a free kick and Queen’s Park protested that the ball had not been touched on its way between the posts. The umpires could not agree and the referee ruled in Renton’s favour. Queen’s then suffered a blow when Bob Christie had to leave the field ‘dead lame”. He returned after five minutes but was a virtual passenger. In the final 30 minutes, the depleted Queen’s Park side showed great determination. Bill Harrower put the Spiders 2-1 ahead after a brilliant run by Alex Hamilton, with Renton claiming offside, and the incapacitated Bob Christie sealed a deserved victory with a clever header from a Hamilton corner kick with five minutes remaining. (One report credited David Allan with the third goal, while another simply said that the goal came from a scrimmage.) This was the eighth occasion on which Queen’s Park had won the Scottish Cup.

After the game, the two sides had tea in the Alexandra Hotel and then headed off to the Grand Theatre for the last performance of the evening of the pantomime "Babes in the Wood".

A week after the Cup Final, Queen’s Park were back in England for a match with old friends Notts County. The match attracted a crowd of 8,000 to Trent Bridge. An understrength Queen’s Park side, containing only five of the Cup Final team, faced an amateur Notts County line-up that included several players brought in from other clubs. The only goal of the game came from Harry Jackson of Notts County with 12 minutes to go. The Spiders looked certain to equalise in the remaining minutes but the County defence held out. This was the English club’s first ever win over Queen’s Park.

Queen’s Park were not in action on Saturday 27 February. However, five Queen’s players turned out for Glasgow in the fourth annual match with Edinburgh at Hampden Park. They were George Gillespie, Walter Arnott, Charles Campbell, Alex Hamilton and George Somerville. Alex Hamilton scored the first goal in a 3-0 win for Glasgow before a crowd of around 4,500. Woody Gray (Pollokshields Athletic) and Bill Sellar (Battlefield) were the other scorers.

On the following Saturday, Queen’s Park had been due to play the Corinthians at the Oval in London, but insufficient players were available to travel. As an alternative, a match was arranged with Edinburgh University on the rugby ground at Corstorphine. The clubs agreed that it would be an unofficial practice match lasting 60 minutes as the pitch was covered with snow.  Queen’s Park won 2-1 with goals from William Turner and Bill Harrower. Bob Christie played for the University.

The Evening Times reported on Tuesday 9 March 1886 that the dispute between the English FA and the SFA over professionalism seemed likely to be settled and the Scotland v England match on 27 March was expected to go ahead. A trial match between the Probables and the Improbables took place at Hampden Park on the following Saturday. A number of Queen’s Park players were involved.

On Saturday 20 March, Scotland beat Ireland 7-2 before a crowd of 3,000 at the Ulster Football Ground in Belfast. Three Queen's Park players had been chosen for the Scotland side but they were unable to play. William Turner (Pollokshields Athletic) and William McLeod (Cowlairs) did feature in the match. (Scottish News listed William McLeod as a Queen's Park player.) Back in rain-soaked Glasgow, Queen’s Park beat 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers 6-0 at Hampden Park. The scorers were George Somerville (2), Bill Harrower (2), Jimmy Hamilton and Woody Gray.

The Scotland v England match took place at Hampden Park on the following Saturday. There was drenching rain throughout, and this restricted the attendance to somewhere between 10,000 and 12,000. Walter Arnott captained Scotland and Charles Campbell, Alex Hamilton and George Somerville also played, as did Queen’s Park members Woody Gray (Pollokshields Athletic), John Macdonald (Edinburgh University) and Bill Sellar (Battlefield). England fielded one professional player – James Forrest of Blackburn Rovers. The SFA insisted that he wear a different shirt from the rest of the England team. George Somerville scored the Scotland goal in a 1-1 draw.

On Saturday 3 April 1886, Preston North End’s professional side visited a very windy Hampden Park for what the North British Daily Mail described as – “A trial of football ability between a team of Scottish amateurs and an eleven of Scotch professionals residing in England.” This was not entirely accurate - there were only eight Scots in the Preston side. The biggest crowd yet at the second Hampden Park, up to 15,000, attended the match, which was the first between the clubs. In some places, the spectators were a dozen rows deep. Queen’s Park were without Charles Campbell, John MacDonald and Bob Christie and many feared a heavy defeat. However, Queen’s rose to the occasion and led by a Bill Harrower goal until the last minute of the ninety when Preston equalised through George Drummond. In the view of the Evening Times, the honour of Scottish football had been maintained.

John Macdonald

On Thursday 8 April, Queen's Park had a match against Corinthians in Nottingham. A crowd of 4,000 at Nottingham Forest's Gregory Ground saw the Spiders go down to an unexpected 2-1 defeat in a well-contested game. Davie Allan scored the Queen's goal just before the interval. 

Two days later, Scotland beat Wales 4-1 at Hampden Park. George Gillespie, Bill Harrower and David Allan played for the Scots’ side, with Allan scoring the third goal. While their team mates were on international duty, a Queen’s Park side, comprising a mixture of first and second eleven players, travelled to Perth to take on St Johnstone. The match at the St Johnstone Recreation Grounds attracted a crowd of 2,000 and ended in a 5-0 win for Queen’s Park. The scorers of the first three goals are not known. Goal number four was scored by one of the two Hamilton brothers and Charlie Campbell was on target for number five.

The Corinthians were back at Hampden Park on Saturday 17 April. A crowd of around 5,500 saw Queen’s Park win an evenly-contested game by a single Alex Hamilton goal.  

Queen’s Park were not in action on the following Saturday, but five Queen’s men were part of a team called Scotch Crusaders. Queen’s Park had been due to meet Aston Villa in Birmingham, but only three first eleven players were able to make the trip. A scratch side was put together to fulfil the fixture. Despite the change of opposition, the game still attracted a crowd of 10,000 to the Wellington Road ground in Parry Barr. The Crusaders beat Villa 2-1.

On Saturday 1 May, Queen’s Park met Renton at Hampden Park in the first of the Glasgow Merchants’ Charity Cup ties. A crowd of around 4,000 saw Queen’s go down to an unexpected defeat by five goals to two. Alex Hamilton and David Allan got the Queen’s Park goals. A lack of training was suggested as a principal cause of the Spiders' defeat. The following week’s Scottish Athletic Journal reported “We have it on very good authority that Mr. Charles Campbell of the Queen’s Park, and undoubtedly in his prime the finest half-back in Scotland, played his last game on Saturday.”

A week later, a considerably understrength Queen’s Park team met Hibernian at Easter Road. A crowd of 5,000 saw the sides play out a 0-0 draw. The spectators were none too happy that the Spiders were not at full strength and that there was only one hour's play. On the evening prior to the Hibs game, Queen’s Park had been presented with the Scottish Cup at the Royal Hotel.

Today we take pride in the Scottish Cup being the oldest Association Football trophy in the world. The trophy did not attract that level of admiration in 1886. The editor of Scottish Umpire wrote - "While I am on the subject of the Cup, I would suggest that the proposal to replace it by one of more costly value and of more inspiring dimensions should be seriously considered. I question if any of our associations, except perhaps the cupless Second-Eleven Association, would be content with such an insignificant trophy."

The season was not quite over. On Saturday 15 May, Queen’s Park beat Alloa Athletic 4-0 at Gaberston Park in Alloa. Queen's arrived with only ten men after two of the forwards missed the train from Glasgow. Alloa provided an eleventh player and Queen's switched their line-up accordingly. Goalkeeper George Gillespie switched to the forward line, with Andrew Watson replacing him in goal. George proved a success in his new role and scored twice. The other two goals came from Johnny Kay and George Somerville.

On the following Thursday (the Queen's Birthday holiday), the third annual meeting of Arbroath and Queen’s Park took place at a wet and windy Gayfield Park. Queen’s won 4-2. It is not known who got the goals in the game. By the end of the match, much of the pitch was under water.

Scottish Athletic Journal, Scottish Umpire and Scottish News reported that a scratch Queen's Park side had beaten Plains 6-0 on Saturday 29 May. However, the Glasgow Herald described the side as a Glasgow Select rather than Queen's Park. The likelihood is that it was a Queen's Park side. 

The Queen's Park AGM took place in the Marie Stuart Hall in Crosshill on Monday 31 May. The state of the club was described as "eminently satisfactory". Membership was 402 (just above the limit of 400). £777 14s 4d had been spent on the new ground in the course of the season, leaving the club with an overdraft of £358. This would be wiped out early in the new season.

On Saturday 5 June, a four-team tournament took place at Hampden Park to raise funds for 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers’ new drill hall. The teams competing were Queen’s Park, 3rd LRV, Rangers and Cowlairs. The games were each of forty minutes' duration. Queen's Park beat 3rd LRV 1-0 in their first match but then lost 1-0 to Rangers in the final after extra time. 

Results 1885/86

First Team
22/08/1885 Strathmore (Dundee) 1 Queen’s Park 3
29/08/1885 Queen’s Park 16 St Peter’s 0 - Scottish Cup
12/09/1885 Hibernian 2 Queen’s Park 1
19/09/1885 Queen’s Park 7 Blackburn Rovers 1
26/09/1885 Queen’s Park 3 Rangers 2
03/10/1885 Queen’s Park 1 Pilgrims 0 - Scottish Cup
10/10/1885 Queen’s Park 5 Notts County 1
17/10/1885 Dumbarton 2 Queen’s Park 3
24/10/1885 East Stirlingshire 0 Queen’s Park 3 - Scottish Cup
31/10/1885 Queen’s Park 5 Partick Thistle 1 - FA Cup
07/11/1885 Rangers 0 Queen’s Park 4
14/11/1885 Queen’s Park 1 Airdrieonians 0 - Scottish Cup
21/11/1885 Queen’s Park 2 Pollokshields Athletic 0
05/12/1885 Arthurlie 1 Queen’s Park 2 - Scottish Cup
12/12/1885 Queen’s Park 4 Abercorn 3
19/12/1885 Queen’s Park 2 Dumbarton 2
26/12/1885 Blackburn Rovers 0 Queen’s Park 3
01/01/1886 Queen’s Park 2 Corinthians 2
16/01/1886 3rdLanark Rifle Volunteers 0 Queen’s Park 3 - Scottish Cup
30/01/1886 Cowlairs 1 Queen’s Park 3
13/02/1886 Queen’s Park 3 Renton 1 - Scottish Cup Final
20/02/1886 Notts County 1 Queen’s Park 0
20/03/1886 Queen’s Park 6 3rdLanark Rifle Volunteers 0
03/04/1886 Queen’s Park 1 Preston North End 1
08/04/1886 Queen’s Park 1 Corinthians 1 (played in Nottingham)
10/04/1886 St Johnstone 0 Queen’s Park 5
17/04/1886 Queen’s Park 1 Corinthians 0
01/05/1886 Queen’s Park 2 Renton 5 - Glasgow Charity Cup
08/05/1886 Hibernian 0 Queen’s Park 0
15/05/1886 Alloa Athletic 0 Queen’s Park 4
20/05/1886 Arbroath 2 Queen’s Park 4         

Second Eleven - The Strollers
22/08/1885 Queen of the South Wanderers 1 Strollers 2
07/09/1885 Strollers 9 Second Battlefield 0
12/09/1885 Carrick (Possilpark) 2 Strollers 2
03/10/1885 Irvine Athletic 0 Strollers 3
10/10/1885 Dunblane 1 Strollers 2
17/10/1885 Strollers 1 Dumbarton Rangers (2nd Dumbarton) 1
24/10/1885 Southern (Greenock) 1 Strollers 7
31/10/1885 Irvine Academicals 0 Strollers 6
07/11/1885 Strollers 0 Rangers Swifts 2
21/11/1885 Vale of Leven Wanderers 2 Strollers 4
05/12/1885 Neilston 1 Strollers 3
12/12/1885 Second Abercorn 4 Strollers 2
01/01/1886 Second Aston Villa 2 Strollers 2
02/01/1886 Derby Midland 0 Strollers 3
23/01/1886 Strollers 4 Dunblane 1
30/01/1886 Irvine Academicals 0 Strollers 1
20/02/1886 Strollers 4 Shettleston 1
06/03/1886 Strollers 5 Britannia (Kilmarnock) 0
13/03/1886 Kilbirnie 1 Strollers 2
22/04/1886 3rd LRV Swifts 0 Strollers 0
05/05/1886 Strollers 2 Second Abercorn 1

Hampden Eleven
19/09/1885 Dalry 4 Hampden Eleven 3
26/09/1885 Alpha (Motherwell) 9 Hampden Eleven 2
03/10/1885 Plains 0 Hampden Eleven 8
10/10/1885 Royal Albert 4 Hampden Eleven 2
17/10/1885 Heart of Midlothian Valleyfield XI 3 Hampden Eleven 1
24/10/1885 Battlefield (Mossfield XI) 0 Hampden Eleven 5
07/11/1885 Second Neilston 0 Hampden Eleven 2
12/12/1885 Westbourne 0 Hampden Eleven 2
19/12/1885 Albion Rovers 13 Hampden Eleven 0
01/01/1886 Oban 1 Hampden Eleven 2
16/01/1886 Lenzie 1 Hampden Eleven 3
30/01/1886 Hampden Eleven 3 Victoria 1
20/02/1886 Second Falkirk 0 Hampden Eleven 3
27/02/1886 Grasshoppers (Bonnybridge) 2 Hampden Eleven 2
08/04/1886 Bute Rangers 0 Hampden Eleven 4
10/04/1886 Mossfield v Hampden Eleven (score not known but QP won by five goals)
15/04/1886 Victoria 2 Hampden Eleven 1
11/05/1886 Hampden Eleven 6 Mount Florida Athletic 0

Scottish Athletic Journal reported on 11 May 1886 that, in the season to date, the Hampden Eleven had played 25 games of which 19 were won, 3 lost and 3 drawn, with 70 goals scored and 25 lost.

Other Matches
09/09/1885 Queen’s Park 1 Rangers 2 (benefit match)
19/09/1885 Britannia (Kilmarnock) 4 Queen's Park XI 3
06/03/1886 Edinburgh University 1 Queen’s Park 2 (practice match)
29/05/1886 Plains 0 Queen's Park XI 6

Representative Matches
27/02/1886 Glasgow 3 Edinburgh 0
27/03/1886 Scotland 1 England 1
10/04/1886 Scotland 4 Wales 1

No comments:

Post a Comment