Season 1891/92

Although the club had made no statement on the matter, it was clear that Queen's Park would not be participating in the Scottish League in season 1891/92. There was a suggestion that, if the number of clubs had been reduced rather than increased to twelve, Queen's may have been amenable to joining. However, they considered that tying clubs to playing a large number of league fixtures turned football from a sport to something more resembling a profession. Scottish Sport had this to say on the matter - "It is utterly impossible for the Q.P. to enter the Scottish League as the latter is at present constituted. The Q.P. has never expressed disapproval of the League as such. So far as practicable it is for the principle of the inviolability of fixtures, but so long as its players are drawn from the same social class as at present the club cannot have sufficient control over them to guarantee that on all occasions the team will be up to its full strength. Rule 11 of the League reads, 'Each club shall play its full strength in all matches, unless some satisfactory explanation be offered to the Committee.' Now if this rule were abolished there is nothing to hinder the Q.P. that we can see from entering into what we would call a more select League, that is to say, consisting of fewer clubs and those of all the best quality."

Queen's were in the process of building a press box in the centre of the covered stand at a cost of £100.

The Queen's Park players began their pre-season practice on Monday 3 August 1891, with Scottish Sport commenting, "The first eleven players were as usual conspicuous by their absence."

On Thursday 6 August, a scratch Queen's Park side played Port Glasgow Athletic at Clune Park. The local side won 4-2. There were no recognised first team players in the Spiders' line-up.

Queen's Park had been expecting to play Celtic on Saturday 15 August but the Parkhead club was ordered by the Scottish League to withdraw from the fixture. It seems that some other league clubs felt that they should have taken precedence for friendly fixtures.

Queen's Park's first game of the new season took place on Monday 29 August with the visit of Partick Thistle to Hampden Park. Thistle were in superb form in the first half hour and raced into a 4-0 lead. Queen's pulled two goals back before half-time and finally won a topsy-turvy match by six goals to five. The goalscorers are not known.

A week later, Queen's Park met Kilmarnock on a wet and windy day before a large crowd at Rugby Park. Queen's scored two early goals through Tommy Waddell and Willie Berry. A Tom Robertson own goal and two John Brodie strikes put the home side into a 3-2 lead but Jimmy Hamilton then scored twice to give the Spiders a 4-3 interval lead. With the benefit of the wind, Queen's dominated the second half but could only score once more. The scorer of the fifth goal is not known.

On Saturday 12 September, Queen's Park faced English opposition for the first time in the new season. Their opponents were Everton. The Liverpool side, which contained eight Scots, was considered the best professional outfit in England and the match attracted a crowd of 10,000 to Hampden Park on a scorching day. A fine game ended in a 1-1 draw. Everton took the lead in 10 minutes when a 30-yard Alf Millward shot was deflected by Tom Robertson past George Gillespie in the Queen's goal. Both William Gulliland and Tommy Waddell hit woodwork in the first half but Everton led 1-0 at the interval. The Merseyside men had slightly the better of the second period but there was only one goal in the half - a Tommy Waddell header from a free kick in 65 minutes. The Queen's Park side that achieved a notable draw was -  Gillespie; Arnott and Smellie; Sillars, Jones and Robertson; Watt, Berry, Hamilton, Waddell and Gulliland.

Queen's Park's first competitive outing of the season took place on Saturday 19 September. The occasion was a Glasgow Cup first round tie with Rutherglen, which attracted a large attendance to Lochgair Park. Queen's had an easy 5-0 victory on a very bobbly pitch, with George Gillespie never troubled at any point. Willie Lambie got the fourth goal but the other scorers are not known. Walter Arnott had travelled over from Ireland for the match and Humphrey Jones from Wales. They were hardly needed.

Another leading English professional side visited Hampden Park on Saturday 26 September. That side was Nottingham Forest. This was Forest's first appearance at Hampden. A crowd of 5,000 attended on a stormy day. Queen's enjoyed the better of the conditions in the first half and took the lead in 11 minutes when Jimmy Hamilton fired home a tremendous low drive. The rain fell in torrents as half-time approached and the pitch became very slippery. Queen's were now facing the gale and Higgins equalised in 55 minutes with a fine shot. The game appeared to be heading for a fair draw but Forest struck twice in the last ten minutes to take the win. One (possibly both) of the two late goals was scored by Arthur Shaw. Once again, a lack of fitness told on Queen's Park in the closing stages of the match. Scottish Sport commented, "It has been said that Queen's Park never train; it is too much bother."

Queen's Park tussled with tough English opposition for the third time in the season with a match against Sunderland at the Newcastle Road ground on Thursday 1 October. The game was billed in Sunderland as the "match of the season". The Sunderland side, composed entirely of Scots professionals, were considered to be virtually invisible at home but Queen's achieved a famous victory. Jimmy Millar put the home side ahead in 40 minutes but Willie Lambie equalised from a scrimmage before half-time. After the break, Jimmy Hamilton ran on to a long ball from Humphrey Jones to put Queen's into the lead. After a spell of Sunderland pressure, the Spiders extended their lead when Walter Arnott fired a shot in off the post. Jimmy Hamilton then scored a fourth after a fine passing move. Millar pulled a goal back to make the final score 4-2 for Queen's Park. After the match, the two teams enjoyed "a sumptuous repast" at the Queen's Hotel. At the dinner, Richard Browne, the Queen's Park President, stated that Queen's Park was not a member of the Scottish League, the Scottish Alliance or the Scottish Federation and that the club preferred that position.

On Saturday 3 October 1891, Scotland met Canada at Ibrox Park. The touring Canadian side also included Americans and this match is not considered an official international fixture. Walter Arnott, Willie Berry and Jimmy Hamilton played for Scotland. Hamilton scored a hat trick in a 5-1 victory. On that same afternoon, Queen's Park beat Clydebank 9-0 at Hampden Park nothing is known about the match.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park were away to Battlefield in the second round of the Glasgow Cup. The tie attracted a crowd of around 2,500 to Mossfield Park, which adjoined Titwood Park. Queen's were 4-0 ahead at the interval with goals from Jimmy Hamilton (2), William Gulliland and either Hamilton or Gulliland. The Spiders scored three more in the second half through Gulliland, Hamilton and either Willie Lambie or Willie Berry. Battlefield pulled a goal back from a scrimmage to make the final score 7-1. Once again, Walter Arnott travelled over from Belfast for the match, arriving at 4am and leaving at 10pm.

Kilmarnock were visitors to Hampden Park on Saturday 17 October for a friendly match. Queen's Park took the lead in 15 minutes through a David Stewart shot from long range but Kilmarnock hit back with Robert Tannahill and John Brodie strikes to lead 2-1 at half-time. The Spiders went on the offensive after the break and Willie Berry equalised with a shot in off the post. An Andrew Kelvin header then regained the lead for the Ayrshire men but Jimmy Hamilton levelled the scores with another header. Then, in the closing seconds, young Stewart hit the winner for Queen's with another fine shot from distance.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park met Battlefield for the second time in a fortnight. On this occasion, the match was a friendly game at Hampden Park. Queen's took it easy in the match but still won 6-1, with goals from Gulliland (2), Hamilton, Robertson, Berry and Waddell. Walton hit the Battlefield goal.

Queen's Park should have met Rangers at Ibrox Park on Saturday 31 October in the third round of the Glasgow Cup but the game was called off 15 minutes before kick-off due to fog. The match took place a week later. A crowd of 10,000 saw Rangers have more of the play but Queen's win the match 3-0. The Spiders took the lead in five minutes. David Haddow in the Rangers' goal parried a Gulliland shot and Willie Berry scored from the rebound. Queen's doubled their lead in 20 minutes when Jimmy Hamilton was on target after Haddow twice blocked shots. Goal number three came in 65 minutes. The scorer is unclear. It was either William Gulliland or Tommy Waddell. Queen's strong defence and the Light Blues' poor shooting ensured that there was no further scoring. Shortly after Queen's scored their second goal, "Buffalo Bill" Cody, in town with his Wild West Show, arrived in the grandstand to a shout of "Get your hair cut."

Glasgow and the East of Scotland drew 2-2 at Celtic Park on Saturday 14 November. William Gulliland and Tommy Waddell played for Glasgow, with Gulliland scoring his side's first goal. On the same afternoon, Queen's Park met Dykebar at Thistle Park in Paisley. Due to the threat of early darkness, the game was 40 minutes each way. After losing an early goal, Queen's took control and ran out 5-1 winners. The Spiders' goals came from Gulliland (2), Sellar, Robertson and a scrimmage. There was only a handful of spectators at the game. As Paisley's third club in terms of popularity, Dykebar was struggling to make its mark in the town.

On Saturday 21 November, Queen's Park welcomed Clyde to Hampden Park in the semi-final of the Glasgow Cup. A crowd of around 9,000 saw Queen's dominate the first half and create innumerable opportunities to score. Only one of these chances was taken - by Willie Lambie in 30 minutes. It was a different story in the second period as, once again, the Queen's players' lack of fitness took its toll. Tom McInnes struck an equaliser from a scrimmage in 60 minutes. Two minutes later, Clyde were gifted a second goal. Walter Arnott, who was struggling badly after having been unwell during the week, mistook the 12 yard line for the goal line and allowed the ball to run past him, setting up a simple finish for the Clyde forwards. In 70 minutes, a McInnes header put the Bridgeton men two ahead. A fairly thick fog was by now engulfing the ground. Queen's claimed that a shot had been over the line before being scrambled clear but the referee gave no goal. Tommy Waddell pulled a goal back near the end but Queen's could not find an equaliser and slumped to a humiliating 3-2 defeat.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park met Abercorn at Underwood Park in Paisley in the first round of the final stage of the Scottish Cup. A crowd of 3,000 saw the home side start the better but Queen's soon took control and went into a 3-0 lead through Tommy Waddell and Willie Lambie (2). Abercorn revived and Thomas Nicol pulled a goal back before half-time. Early in the second half, Nicol scored for a second time to make the score 3-2. The Spiders were penned back for the next 30 minutes but the defence stood firm. Towards the end, Bill Sellar went close for Queen's on several occasions. However, there was no further scoring and a fiercely contested game ended in a narrow victory for Queen's Park.

After the disastrous result against Clyde, all of the Queen's Park team, with the exception of William Gulliland, had trained hard in the days leading up to the Abercorn cup tie. However, there was still a lack of stamina apparent in the performance against the Paisley side.

The leading Irish side Linfield Athletic of Belfast visited Hampden Park on Saturday 5 December. Miserable weather kept the attendance down to around 3,000. Former Clyde player Bob McFarlane made his debut for Queen's Park. Walter Arnott played for Linfield. Queen's took the lead in 10 minutes through Jimmy Hamilton but Hill equalised for the Irishmen. Goals from Willie Lambie and Bill Sellar then put the Spiders 3-1 ahead at the interval. William Gulliland and Tommy Waddell then increased the lead to 5-1. McGaffikin pulled a goal back for the visitors but further goals from Lambie and Hamilton took the final score to 7-2. "Ireland's Pride" had been thoroughly outplayed. While Queen's Park were hosting Linfield, Glasgow met Aberdeen (the city select rather than the club) at Chanonry in the Granite City. David Stewart played for the Glasgow side that won 6-0.

Willie Lambie

On Saturday 12 December, Queen's Park played Edinburgh University at Corstorphine in terrible weather. The attendance was meagre as very few of the football-going public in the capital were aware the match was taking place. Sleet fell during most of the game and there was a layer of snow on the pitch. Bill Sellar put Queen's one up with a header but Duckworth equalised for the University. After missing a number of chances, the Spiders recaptured the lead in 30 minutes with a second Sellar goal. Due to the dreadful conditions, half-time was called at this point and the games reduced to two halves of 30 minutes. After the break, a Milligan own goal extended Queen's lead. Then, as the students began to tire, Queen's scored a further five times through Hamilton (2), Brand (2) and Sellar to record an 8-1 victory.

The Glasgow Cup Final between Celtic and Clyde also took place on Saturday 12 December. This was the first occasion that goal nets were in use at a cup final in Scotland.

A week later, Queen's Park faced Bathgate Rovers at Hampden Park in the second round of the final stage of the Scottish Cup. The first half was very one-sided but, due to a series of missed opportunities, Queen's led by only a single goal at the interval. The scorer was either Jimmy Hamilton or Bill Sellar. The Spiders stepped up the pace after half-time and scored a further five unanswered goals. The scorers varied considerably from report to report. The Glasgow Herald favoured Gulliland, Waddell, Hamilton, Sellar and Hamilton. The Scotsman preferred Waddell and Hamilton (3), with no scorer given for the final goal. The North British Daily Mail decided upon Gulliland and Hamilton (4).

Queen's Park travelled to Inchview in the west end of Glasgow on Boxing Day for a friendly match with Partick Thistle. Around 1,500 were in attendance on a poor day. Queen's won a fairly even match by the only goal of the game, which came in 20 minutes with a Bill Sellar header from a Lambie cross.

On New Year's Day, Corinthians visited Hampden Park for their annual fixture with Queen's Park. The match drew a crowd of around 9,000 in fine weather. William Gulliland put Queen's one up in 30 minutes with a spectacular strike. After the Spiders had two goals disallowed, Gerald Dewhurst scored twice to put the Londoners ahead. Two Tommy Waddell goals then restored the Spiders' lead. However, Corinthians finished strongly and goals from Winkworth and Veitch (2) saw them run out 5-3 winners. It was reported that Queen's Park were unhappy with the referee's performance.

On Saturday 2 January, Queen's Park travelled to Cresswell Park in Dumfries for a friendly encounter with Queen of the South Wanderers. The local fans turned out in big numbers and they were rewarded with a game featuring no fewer that 16 goals. Queen's Park scored 12 of the goals through Sellar (6), Robertson, Gulliland, Lambie (2), McFarlane and Waddell.

Queen's Park were not in action on Saturday 9 January 1892 but William Gulliland and Bill Sellar played for Glasgow against Sheffield at Hampden Park. Glasgow won 4-2. Bill Sellar, who captained the side, scored two of the goals.

Queen's Park's annual dance took place in the Grand Hotel on Tuesday 12 January and was, by all accounts, a great success.  Scottish Sport reported, "About 90 couples engaged in the terpsichorean art to the dulcet strains of Mr Hatton's band."

Queen's Park - Season 1891/92
Fourth row (from left) - W Arnott, W Stewart and W Berry.
Third row - H Jones, A Baird and W A Lambie.
Second row - W Gulliland, J Gillespie, J McTavish, G Gillespie, T Robertson and W Sellar.
First row - J Hamilton, R Smellie, R Browne (President), T S Waddell and D Sillars.

Queen's Park had been drawn away to Dumbarton in the quarter-finals of the Scottish Cup. The game had been scheduled to take place on Saturday 16 January but was postponed due to severe frost. However, the tie did go ahead at Boghead a week later. There was a crowd of 6,000 at the game, including over 1,500 from Glasgow, many of whom arrived in a 13-carriage special train. An hour before kick-off, spectators were two to three deep around the ropes. After Taylor hit the bar for the home side, Queen's Park took command and went into the lead in 15 minutes with a clever Sellar finish from a Gulliland cross. Either Jimmy Hamilton or Tommy Waddell then doubled the Spiders' lead. Queen's had been comfortably in control of the match but began to labour in the latter stages. In 75 minutes, James McNaught reduced the deficit from a scrimmage and, ten minutes later, John Miller equalised from another scrimmage. Just on time, Bill Sellar had a goal controversially chalked off for offside. A great game ended in a 2-2 draw.

The Scottish Cup replay with Dumbarton took place at Hampden Park on Saturday 30 January. The tie attracted a huge attendance of around 19,000 - the third largest ever at the stadium. 17,600 paid for admission, with the rest made up of ticket-holders and a few hundred who broke into the ground. Queen's Park had the wind advantage in the first half but, despite being under intense pressure, the Dumbarton defence stood firm and the game was goalless at half-time. The closest Queen's came to a goal was a David Stewart effort off the crossbar. With a stiff breeze at their backs after the interval, the Sons of the Rock were expected to come out on top. However, Queen's Park had other ideas and played brilliantly in the second period. In 50 minutes, Jimmy Hamilton put the Spiders into the lead. In describing the Queen's fans' response to the goal, the Glasgow Herald reported - "The occupants of the stand rose to a man and shouted themselves hoarse." The Dumbarton goal was now under siege and Queen's soon scored a further three goals through Willie Lambie, William Gulliland and then Lambie again. (The North British Daily Mail credited the second and third goals to Waddell and Robertson.) Lambie received an injury after the fourth goal and Queen's Park had to finish the match with ten men. Dumbarton took advantage and pulled a goal back in 75 minutes with a John Taylor header. Dumbarton had the better of things from that point but the game ended 4-1 for Queen's Park. After the embarrassment of the Glasgow Cup defeat to Clyde, the Queen's players had stepped up their training and it had paid dividends. Scottish Sport commented, "It was a famous victory, gained by splendid, scientific football, and we feel sure the Queen's Park players are sufficiently rewarded for the extra trouble they took to train specifically for this match."

There was a break from the cup ties for Queen's Park on Saturday 6 February when they travelled to Thistle Park in Paisley for a friendly match with Dykebar. Walter Arnott, William Gulliland, Willie Lambie and Bill Sellar chose not to play in the match, much to the disappointment of the spectators. Queen's were well on top in the first half but their shooting was erratic and there was no scoring at the interval. It was a different story in the second half and the Spiders scored four unanswered goals through Brand, Waddell, Robertson and "Scott". The player named as "Scott" is believed to have been John Lambie, recently returned from London.

Queen's Park had been drawn away to Renton in the semi-finals of the Scottish Cup. Renton had the opportunity to play the game at Hampden Park and benefit from a bumper gate but the Dumbartonshire club decided to stage the tie at its own Tontine Park. (Dumbartonshire, rather than Dunbartonshire, was the correct spelling at the time.) The game on Saturday 13 February 1892 attracted a crowd of over 10,000 - the biggest ever attendance at a match in Dumbartonshire. The low level platform at Glasgow's Queen Street Station was said to have been packed solid from end to end with fans heading for Renton. Two trains, each with 13 carriages, were required to cope with the demand. There were 2,000 passengers on the first train and 1,000 on the second. Renton had erected additional stands for the match and part of one gave way, with the occupants tumbling to the ground. One spectator suffered a broken leg, a second a broken hip and an elderly man was badly bruised. The match was exciting throughout and provided the crowd with great excitement. Queen's Park took the lead in only three minutes. Bill Sellar fired in a powerful shot. The Renton goalkeeper John Lindsay got his hand to the ball but could not prevent it spinning through goal. Renton equalised ten minutes into the second half. An Allison free kick resulted in a scrimmage and the ball was forced over the line. It is unclear who got the final touch. Queen's then applied some pressure and Jimmy Hamilton missed two great chances. Towards the end, Renton held the initiative and Queen's Park were happy to accept the draw and take the tie back to Hampden Park.

The cup replay with Renton should have taken place on Saturday 20 February but the Hampden pitch was frostbound. The game was played a week later and fully lived up to expectations. Some 21,544 spectators paid for admission and, when the Queen's Park members etc were taken into account, the total attendance was around 23,000. This was the biggest ever crowd for a game between two Scottish clubs and second only to the 1890 Scotland v England match, which drew an attendance of 31,000. Queen's Park went into the game without Walter Arnott, who had a foot injury. In the opening half, Bill Sellar had a goal ruled out for handball and, after Sellar had been fouled in the 12-yard area, David Stewart took the penalty kick but sent the ball through goal without it being touched on the way. (In that first season of penalty kicks, direct shots at goal were only awarded if there had been deliberate foul play. Non-deliberate offences, involving a genuine attempt to play the ball, drew indirect free kicks.) Renton also threatened in the opening 45 minutes with shots bouncing off the top of the crossbar on two occasions, but there was no scoring at half-time. Both sides missed good chances early in the second half and, up to 15 minutes from time, it was anyone's game. At that point, Queen's Park broke the deadlock when William Gulliland crossed for Bill Sellar to fire a header past John Lindsay. Two minutes later, Willie Lambie doubled the lead and, in 85 minutes, William Gulliland made it three from a Stewart free kick. The Spiders were then well on top to the finish. Queen's Park deserved their win but the margin of victory was harsh on Renton.

William Gulliland

Queen's Park were not in action on Saturday 5 March but two International trial matches were played at Cathkin Park. Walter Arnott and Bob Smellie were unable to take part due to injury but William Gulliland, Willie Lambie, Bill Sellar, Donald Sillars and Tommy Waddell were all involved.

Queen's Park's opponents in the Scottish Cup Final were Celtic. The match took place at Ibrox Park on Saturday 12 March 1892. Rangers had erected two new stands, built up the terracing and created additional entrances to the ground. However, the number of spectators that arrived at the stadium far exceeded expectations. Many other games had been called off on the day, including the entire rugby programme, due to frost and snow but the SFA insisted that the Cup Final go ahead to clear the way for other fixtures. Despite the unfavourable conditions, a huge crowd assembled at Ibrox. The ground was nearly full two hours before kick-off. With an hour and a quarter to go before the start time, it was decided to close the gates. Thousands of people then forced their way into the ground without paying. 25,897 spectators paid for admission and the police reckoned that 11,000 more stormed over the boundary without paying after the gates were closed. Taking into account those entitled to free admission, the total attendance was around 37,000. The pressure from behind resulted in the spectators standing at the front being forced onto the track around the ground. Chaos resulted as people sought to find a spot where they could see the pitch. The Scotsman reported - "During the stampede, the crowd made a vigorous attack on the old stand on the north side of the ground, which was already tightly packed, but the occupants succeeded beating them off." It appears that snowballs were the weapon of choice.

Queen's Park went into the Cup Final without Walter Arnott, who was unfit. Donald Sillars deputised. Celtic were at full strength. The pitch was soft and slippery, making it difficult for the players to keep their feet. The difficult underfoot conditions and encroachment by spectators made the first half something of a farce. Mounted police were required to create enough space for corner kicks to be taken. At half-time, both sides agreed that the game could not continue as a cup tie and lodged protests with the referee. Play recommenced on the assumption that the match was now a friendly. In 60 minutes, Celtic scored the only goal of the game. Johnny Campbell met a headed Smellie clearance and fired the ball past Andrew Baird in the Queen's goal. Immediately afterwards, Jimmy Hamilton thought he had equalised but the goal was ruled out for offside. Queen's claimed that the ball had come off Dan Doyle's foot before Hamilton hit it, but to no avail. The Spiders had most of the play for the remainder of the game. However, the Celtic defence held firm and the Parkhead men ran out 1-0 winners. The SFA Committee met on the Saturday evening to consider the clubs' protests and decided that the Cup Final should be replayed on Saturday 9 April. The price of admission would be doubled in an attempt to limit the attendance to manageable levels.

A week later, Scotland beat Wales 6-1 at Tynecastle Park in Edinburgh. Jimmy Hamilton played in the match and scored a hat trick. Queen's Park had been scheduled to play Glasgow Wanderers at Hampden Park but the game was called off an hour or so before kick-off due to a heavy snowstorm. 

The Revision of Rules Committee of the Scottish Football Association had been tasked to consider the issue of sham amateurism in the game. The Committee, which included the President of Queen's Park, recommended the legalisation of professionalism. However, at a Special Meeting of the SFA on 29 March, the clubs rejected the Committee's recommendation by 71 votes to 54. Professionalism was again rejected at the Annual Meeting of the SFA two months later, on this occasion by 104 to 78.

Scotland's annual match with England took place at Ibrox Park on Saturday 2 April. Walter Arnott, Bill Sellar, Donald Sillars and Tommy Waddell played in the Scotland side that suffered a very disappointing 4-1 defeat. Sellar captained the side. 

Two days later, on Monday 4 April, Queen's Park travelled to Fife to play a Kirkcaldy select side composed of players from Kirkcaldy FC and Raith Rovers. Queen's won 8-0. The scorers were Hamilton (3), Lambie (2), Waddell (2) and Stewart. Only a tremendous display by goalkeeper Gourlay saved the Kirkcaldy men from a heavier defeat.

The replayed Scottish Cup Final with Celtic took place at Ibrox Park on Saturday 9 April 1892. The doubling of the admission charge had the effect of reducing the attendance. There was somewhere between 14,000 and 30,000 spectators present. The attendance numbers given at that time were simply the result of educated guesses. Queen's Park went into the game without full backs Walter Arnott and Bob Smellie, with Arnott calling off at the last minute. Celtic made one change, with Paddy Gallagher replacing the injured Madden. Queen's Park had been pre-match favourites with the public but, when it was learned of the absence of Arnott and Smellie, the prevailing view was that a Celtic victory was virtually assured. Queen's Park had the benefit of a strong easterly wind in the first half and had much the better of the opening 45 minutes. The Spiders took the lead in 20 minutes with a fine long shot from Tommy Waddell. William Gulliland then hit the post but the score remained 1-0 at the interval. If Queen's Park had dominated the opening half, it was a different story in the second period. In 50 minutes, Celtic equalised with a terrific Campbell overhead kick. The Parkhead men began to grow in confidence and Johnny Campbell scored again top put them in the lead. Queen's then had a promising spell but it was Celtic who scored again when Sandy McMahon was first to react after Andrew Baird pulled off a great save. A James Kelly free kick was then deflected in off Donald Sillars to make the score 4-1 for the Celts. William Gulliland and Jimmy Hamilton both missed good chances in the closing stages but it was Celtic who had the final say when McMahon made the score 5-1 with a headed goal in the last minute. It was a well-deserved win for Celtic. Queen's Park's lack of reserve strength had cost them dearly, with forward Bill Sellar having to be fielded at full back and an unfit John Lambie brought in on the left wing. 

The Cup Final teams were: -
Queen's Park - Andrew Baird; Donald Sillars and Bill Sellar; Jock Gillespie, Tom Robertson and David Stewart; William Gulliland, Tommy Waddell, Jimmy Hamilton, Willie Lambie and Johnny Lambie.
Celtic - Joe Cullen; Jerry Reynolds and Dan Doyle; Willie Maley, Jimmy Kelly and Paddy Gallacher; Neil McCallum, Alex Brady, Peter Dowds, Sandy McMahon and Johnny Campbell.

On the Saturday following the Cup Final, Queen's Park were in London taking on old friends Corinthians at the Queen's Club in West Kensington. The attendance of 3,000 included a large contingent of soldiers from Scottish regiments based in the area. Queen's took the lead in ten minutes when Tommy Waddell set up Jimmy Hamilton to despatch both the ball and 'keeper Moon through the goal. The Spiders were on top but Henry equalised for Corinthians in a breakaway. There was a strange incident in the opening half when the referee accused Tom Robertson of pushing an opponent. The Queen's half-back replied - "It is a lie. I did not push him." He was promptly sent off by the referee for dissent. Queen's Park refused to continue with the game unless Robertson was permitted to return. The referee, who was Secretary of the London Football Association, wore spectacles and was short-sighted. The matter was eventually resolved and Tom Robertson returned to the fray. Queen's dominated the second half of the match. In 80 minutes, Walter Arnott put the Spiders into the lead with a long, dipping shot and, just before the whistle, Willie Berry made the final score 3-1.

On Saturday 23 April, Queen's Park had a friendly game with Cowlairs at Hampden Park. An understrength Spiders side won 5-0, with goals from Brand (2), Sellar, Berry and Stewart.

Queen's Park's final home game of the season took place on Saturday 30 April, with Preston North End the visitors to Hampden Park. Queen's were without eight first team regulars and drafted in William Johnstone and Hugh Smith of 3rd Lanark as guests. Also included was Paterson, a retired Strollers player, who, according to Scottish Sport, was "dragged off the stand". Preston were at full strength. A crowd of 5,000 saw the Spiders put up a spirited display but they went down to the only goal of the game scored by Frank Becton in 20 minutes.

On Friday 5 May, the Queen's Park Committee met to consider whether to enter that season's Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup, given the number of players suffering from injury or illness and the prospect of fielding a sub-standard team. They decided to take part, rather than let down the charities. However, they would play "unofficially". The results of the games played would not be entered in the club records.

Queen's Park had been drawn against Rangers in the Charity Cup and the tie took place at Hampden Park on Saturday 14 May. Queen's went into the match without William Gulliland, Jimmy Hamilton, Bill Sellar, Bob Smellie and Tommy Waddell. A Crowd of 7,000 saw Queen's Park, playing with the wind, take the lead in 15 minutes through either Davidson Berry or Willie Lambie and then double their lead from a scrimmage. Neil Kerr pulled a goal back but a Lambie header restored the Spiders' two goal advantage at the interval. Early in the second period, Deans or McPherson scored for Rangers to reduce the deficit and then Dunn equalised in 70 minutes. Donald Sillars had to go off injured but the ten men held on to take the tie to a replay.

The two sides tried again on Monday 23 May. There was an attendance of 5,000 at Ibrox Park in terrible weather. Rangers took the lead in five minutes through Neil Kerr but Queen's Park equalised from a scrimmage following a free kick. Willie Lambie then gave Queen's the lead but Donald Gow tied the scores before half-time. Jimmy Hamilton restored the Spiders' advantage with a clever goal but, with only three minutes remaining, John "Kitey" McPherson levelled the scores. The teams agreed to play an extra 30 minutes but, after 13 minutes, the game had to be stopped due to darkness.

After two 3-3 draws, the clubs made a third effort to settle the tie at Celtic Park on Saturday 28 May 1892. A poorish attendance of only around 5,000 was put down to the effect of Queen's Park treating the game as unofficial and fielding a weak side. After Jimmy Hamilton missed an open goal, Rangers scored twice through Peter Turnbull. Jimmy Hamilton pulled one back but Frank Watt restored the Light Blues' two-goal advantage before half-time. Early in the second period, Jimmy Hamilton slipped when he looked certain to score. The Rangers' forwards were in good form and John McPherson made the score 4-1 in 55 minutes. Queen's kept battling away but it was Rangers who scored again to take a four-goal lead. Queen's Park suffered a further blow when Jimmy Hamilton was sent off for a remark to an official after being penalised. Rangers took full advantage of the situation and scored a further two goals through David Mitchell and Tom McInnes to make the final score 7-1.

Queen's Park's half-hearted approach to the Charity Cup tie had been in marked contrast to the enthusiasm displayed by Rangers. The Queen's Park supporters had not expected to win the match but were far from happy at the scale of the defeat. The Scottish Referee reported that one of Queen's Park's old and most honoured players was strongly of the opinion that, if the club committee had not been prepared to recognise the fixture as an official engagement, they should never have entered the competition in the first place. This view was widely shared by Spiders' fans. 

Queen's Park Strollers - Season 1891/92

Scottish Sport reported that the elaborate terracing at the east end of Hampden Park was proceeding apace. Some 4,000 carts of ashes had been deposited, with more to come.

At the Queen's Park Annual Meeting, Peter McCallum was elected President and James Allan was re-elected as Secretary. The season had been a success from a financial point of view, with income exceeding expenditure by £967 18s 3d. The playing records of the club's four teams had been: -
First Eleven - played 31, won 22. lost 6, draws 3 (goals for 128, goals against 49)
Second Eleven (The Strollers) - played 30, won 21, lost 4, drawn 5 (goals for 129, goals against 54)
Third Eleven (Hampden XI) - played 31, won 22, lost 5, drawn 4 (goals for 131, goals against 48)
Fourth Eleven (Victoria XI) - played 24, won 17, lost 3, drawn 4 (goals for 94, goals against 58)
The first eleven figures do not include the three "unofficial" Charity Cup matches with Rangers.

The Queen's Park Sports took place at Hampden Park on Saturday 2 June 1892. A crowd of between 9,000 and 10,000 was on hand to enjoy perhaps Scotland's finest athletics meeting to date.

Results 1891/92

First Eleven
29/08/1891 Queen's Park 6 Partick Thistle 5
05/09/1891 Kilmarnock 3 Queen's Park 5
12/09/1891 Queen's Park 1 Everton 1
19/09/1891 Rutherglen 0 Queen's Park 5
26/09/1891 Queen's Park 1 Nottingham Forest 3
01/10/1891 Sunderland 2 Queen's Park 4
03/10/1891 Queen's Park 9 Clydebank 0
10/10/1891 Battlefield 1 Queen's Park 7 - Glasgow Cup
17/10/1891 Queen's Park 4 Kilmarnock 3
24/10/1891 Queen's Park 6 Battlefield 1
07/11/1891 Rangers 0 Queen's Park 3
14/11/1891 Dykebar 1 Queen's Park 5
21/11/1891 Queen's Park 2 Clyde 3 - Glasgow Cup
28/11/1891 Abercorn 2 Queen's Park 3 - Scottish Cup
05/12/1891 Queen's Park 7 Linfield (Belfast) 2
12/12/1891 Edinburgh University 1 Queen's Park 8
19/12/1891 Queen's Park 6 Bathgate Rovers 0 - Scottish Cup
26/12/1891 Partick Thistle 0 Queen's Park 1
01/01/1892 Queen's Park 3 Corinthians (London) 5
02/01/1892 Queen of the South Wanderers 4 Queen's Park 12
23/01/1892 Dumbarton 2 Queen's Park 2 - Scottish Cup
30/01/1892 Queen's Park 4 Dumbarton 1 - Scottish Cup replay
06/02/1892 Dykebar 0 Queen's Park 4
13/02/1892 Renton 1 Queen's Park 1 - Scottish Cup semi-final
27/02/1892 Queen's Park 3 Renton 0 - Scottish Cup semi-final replay
12/03/1892 Queen's Park 0 Celtic 1*
19/03/1892 Queen's Park 6 Kilmarnock Athletic 1
04/04/1892 Kirkcaldy 0 Queen's Park 8
09/04/1892 Queen's Park 1 Celtic 5 - Scottish Cup Final
16/04/1892 Corinthians (London) 1 Queen's Park 3
23/04/1892 Queen's Park 5 Cowlairs 0
30/04/1892 Queen's Park 0 Preston North End 1
14/05/1892 Queen's Park 3 Rangers 3 - Glasgow Charity Cup
23/05/1892 Rangers 3 Queen's Park 3 - Glasgow Charity Cup replay
28/05/1892 Queen's Park 1 Rangers 7 - Glasgow Charity Cup second replay

* Scottish Cup Final declared friendly due to encroachment by spectators.

Second Eleven - The Strollers
15/08/1891 Hamilton Academical 3 Strollers 7
22/08/1891 Queen of the South Wanderers 4 Strollers 4
29/08/1891 Denny 1 Strollers 3
12/09/1891 Vale of Teith (Doune) 1 Strollers 7
19/09/1891 Alva 1 Strollers 1
26/09/1891 Alloa Athletic 1 Strollers 1
03/10/1891 Strollers 9 Clydebank 0 - Scottish Second XI Cup
10/10/1891 Strollers 4 Dunblane 2
17/10/1891 2nd Kilmarnock 1 Strollers 3
24/10/1891 Strollers 7 2nd Heart of Midlothian 2 - Scottish Second XI Cup
31/10/1891 Strollers 3 2nd Hurlford 1
07/11/1891 Strollers 7 Alloa Athletic 0
14/11/1891 Strollers 1 2nd Abercorn 1 - Scottish Second XI Cup
21/11/1891 2nd Abercorn 4 Strollers 3 - Scottish Second XI Cup replay
28/11/1891 Milton Rovers (Carluke) 1 Strollers 6
26/12/1891 Strollers 3 2nd Partick Thistle 2
23/01/1892 Strollers 13 Glasgow Perthshire 0
13/02/1892 Strollers 2 Beeston (Nottinghamshire) 3
27/02/1892 Dunipace 3 Strollers 4
19/03/1892 Dunfermline Athletic 2 Strollers 3
26/03/1892 Queen of the South Wanderers 0 Strollers 4
04/04/1892 Beeston (Nottinghamshire) 0 Strollers 5
16/04/1892 Dunblane 4 Strollers 3
23/04/1892 Ayr Athletic v Strollers - match drawn (score unknown)
30/04/1892 Alloa Athletic 1 Strollers 6

Third Eleven - The Hampden Eleven
29/08/1891 Largs Thistle 1 Hampden Eleven 6
05/09/1891 Bridge of Weir 0 Hampden Eleven 4
03/10/1891 1st ARV (Dunoon) 1 Hampden Eleven 3
10/10/1891 2nd Camelon 0 Hampden Eleven 1
21/11/1891 Kilsyth Standard 1 Hampden Eleven 4
05/12/1891 Beith Thistle 2 Hampden Eleven 2
01/01/1892 2nd Aberdeen 1 Hampden Eleven 8
09/01/1892 Chryston Athletic 3 Hampden Eleven 2 (unofficial match)
06/02/1892 Baillieston Thistle 3 Hampden Eleven 1
13/02/1892 2nd East Stirlingshire 2 Hampden Eleven 5
20/02/1892 Victoria (Helensburgh) 1 Hampden Eleven 4
27/02/1892 Stewarton Cunninghame 3 Hampden Eleven 2
19/03/1892 Springbank (Cumnock) 3 Hampden Eleven 2
04/04/1892 Bute Rangers 6 Hampden Eleven 4
09/04/1892 Dunfermline Juniors 1 Hampden Eleven 5
16/04/1892 2nd Motherwell 3 Hampden Eleven 0
26/04/1892 Hampden Eleven 2 Vale of Clyde 2
30/04/1892 Largs Thistle 2 Hampden Eleven 7

Fourth Eleven - The Victoria Eleven
05/09/1891 Campsie Black Watch 1 Victoria Eleven 3
12/09/1891 Victoria (Helensburgh) 3 Victoria Eleven 4
19/09/1891 East Lanark (Shotts) 7 Victoria Eleven 0
10/10/1891 Kilsyth Standard 6 Victoria Eleven 9
24/10/1891 Largs Neva 1 Victoria Eleven 7
07/11/1891 Johnstone Swifts 4 Victoria Eleven 5
12/12/1891 Victoria Eleven 4 Victoria (Helensburgh) 3*
04/04/1892 Ulster (Belfast) 3 Victoria Eleven 2
09/04/1892 Troon 3 Victoria Eleven 3

* Abandoned after 30 minutes.

Representative Matches
03/10/1891 Scotland 5 Canada 1
14/11/1891 Glasgow 2 East of Scotland 2
05/12/1891 Aberdeenshire 0 Glasgow 6
09/01/1892 Glasgow 4 Sheffield 2
19/03/1892 Ireland 2 Scotland 3
26/03/1892 Scotland 6 Wales 1
02/04/1892 Scotland 1 England 4

Other Matches
06/08/1891 Port Glasgow Athletic 4 Queen's Park XI 2
22/08/1891 Queen of the South Wanderers 5 Queen's Park XI 5
03/05/1892 Falkirk 2 Queen's Park XI 2
04/05/1892 Partick Thistle 2 Queen's Park XI 0

No comments:

Post a Comment