Season 1896/97

Queen's Park went into season 1896/97 recognising that, if the club was ever again to host Scottish Cup Finals and major Internationals, a larger stadium was required. With a capacity of only 28,000, Hampden Park was now too small even for Junior Internationals. If the move towards the biggest games being staged at Celtic Park or Ibrox Park was to be reversed, either Hampden Park would have to be enlarged or a new stadium constructed.

Queen's opened their season in customary fashion on Saturday 29 August 1896 with an understrength eleven playing a "missionary" match. The Spiders' opponents were Fair City Athletic. This was Queen's Park's first visit to Perth in ten years and the game attracted a crowd of 3,000 to Balhousie Park. Queen's had by far the best of the play but ended up losing 1-0. The goal came a minute from half-time through Scully. Queen's bombarded the Fair City goal in the second half but all attempts to score ended in failure.

A week later, Queen's Park opened their official season with a match against Ayr Parkhouse at Hampden Park. Ayr goalkeeper Auld held the Spiders' forwards at bay until just before the interval when Bob McColl opened the scoring with a fast low shot. The visitors then provided a shock by taking a 2-1 lead in the second half but, with six minutes to go, Andrew Robb equalised and saved Queen's from the embarrassment of another defeat.

Queen's Park were at home again on Saturday 12 September, with Port Glasgow Athletic the visitors on this occasion. As a consequence of the Spiders' poor start to the season, the turnout of spectators was meagre. Once again, the Queen's side was far from full strength and Port Glasgow Athletic were expected to provide tough opposition. However, the Spiders romped to a 6-1 victory. The scorers in the match are not entirely clear. Tom Crookston opened the scoring in two minutes and Andrew Robb scored the sixth goal just on time. Andrew Graham scored for Port Glasgow and two of the other Queen's goals came from Bob McColl and one of the Stewarts.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park had their first competitive outing of the season with a Glasgow Cup first round tie with Battlefield at Hampden Park. A small crowd saw Queen's stroll to an easy 7-0 win. The goalscorers were Bob McColl (3), Robert Lambie (2), Davie Stewart and Andrew Robb. The Queen's Park team in that first cup tie of the season was - Kenny Anderson; John Ritchie and Hugh Smith; James Allison, Bob McFarlane and David Stewart; Tom Crookston, William Gibbons, Bob McColl, Robert Lambie and Andrew Robb.

Nine days after the Battlefield game, on Monday 28 September, Queen's Park played Everton at Anfield - Everton's home ground at the time. The Spiders travelled down to Liverpool on the Saturday and visited Southport on the Sunday. The weather was very stormy on the Monday but the crowd of around 3,000 saw a fine game. Queen's Park made the early running and were two goals to the good in 12 minutes. Bob McColl got both. Everton fought back and goals from Jack Taylor and Alf Schofield drew the sides level at the interval. Johnny Cameron put Queen's back in the lead in the second half after a William Gibbons drive had been parried but Billy Stewart made the final score 3-3 with a shot deflected off a Spiders' defender.

On Saturday 3 October, Renton were visitors to Hampden Park. A crowd of around 2,500 saw Queen's Park enjoy a comfortable 4-1 victory. Robert Lambie opened the scoring in three minutes and the lead was doubled through either Tom Crookston, Bob McFarlane or a Coleman own goal (reports varied). Bob McColl scored a third after the break. Renton then pulled a goal back from a scrimmage but, just before the finish, Tom Crookston restored Queen's three goal lead. A week later, Queen's Park were back at Hampden Park, with Dumbarton the opponents on this occasion. The weather was dreadful and the pitch soft and treacherous. Only around 500 spectators were in attendance. The match was restricted to two halves of 35 minutes. Queen's won 6-1. Three of the goals were scored by Bob McColl, Willie Stewart and Andrew Robb. Two of the others came from and own goal and a scrimmage. Adamson scored for Dumbarton.

Queen's Park travelled to Airdrie on Saturday 17 October and were beaten 2-1 by Airdrieonians. Little is known about the match, other than that Hugh Morgan scored the winner for the home side in the closing minutes and that James Lawrence of the Hampden Eleven played in goal for Queen's Park. Apparently, Airdrieonians should have won by a bigger margin.

The Spiders faced a Scottish League side for the first time in the season on Saturday 24 October 1896 with Hibernian the visitors to Hampden Park. Despite disagreeable weather, a crowd of around 6,500 turned out for the match. Snow fell during the first half making the underfoot conditions very slippery. Tommy Waddell gave Queen's the lead in the first minute of the match and Bob McColl doubled the Spiders' advantage when he beat two defenders and shot well out of 'keeper Whalon's reach. Allan Martin pulled a goal back for the Leith men but William Gibbons set up Robert Lambie to give Queen's a 3-1 lead at the interval. Immediately after the restart, George Dougal made the score 3-2 with a fine shot. Fifteen minutes into the half, Queen's Park's suffered a blow when John Gillespie injured a knee and could take no further part in the match. Hibs took full advantage and scored twice through Jack Kennedy and Johnny Pryce to seal a 4-3 victory.

Queen's Park faced their biggest test of the season to date on Saturday 31 October when they met Celtic in the semi-final of the Glasgow Cup. The match drew a crowd of around 14,000 to Hampden Park. The admission charge had been doubled to a shilling and this had the effect of keeping many people away. The North British Daily Mail remarked that this meant that the rough element were far in the minority. The game was fast and exciting from the outset. Jimmy Blessington, looking suspiciously offside, gave Celtic the lead with a snap shot that seemed to take Kenny Anderson in the Queen's goal by surprise. Queen's Park equalised when Willie Lambie was knocked off the ball but recovered to score. Celtic regained the lead when a Sandy McMahon shot gave Anderson no chance. The score remained 2-1 for the Parkhead side at the interval. Queen's Park had played well in the opening half but Celtic, with the wind advantage, had the better of the second period. In 52 minutes, Jimmy Blessington made the score 3-1 for the visitors after an Anderson error. Bob McColl hit the bar for Queen's but it was Celtic who scored again through Johnny Madden. Bob McColl made the final score 4-2 when he pounced on the loose ball after Willie Lambie and 'keeper Dan McArthur collided. Queen's had been handicapped by the absence of the injured John Gillespie but the real telling factor had been the superior fitness of the Celtic players.
On Saturday 7 November Queen's Park were in Port Glasgow taking on Port Glasgow Athletic before a large crowd. Hugh Butler put the Spiders ahead in the first minute and by the 15th minute the lead had extended to 4-0. The home side fought back to make the score 4-2 at half-time. In the second half, Carson pulled back another goal, Hugh Butler made it 5-3 and then Carson and Curran struck to make the final score 5-5. While Queen's Park were in Port Glasgow, James Allison, Bob McFarlane and Bob McColl were part of the Glasgow side that went down to a heavy 5-1 defeat to Sheffield at Bramall Lane. Allison scored the Glasgow goal.

Queen's Park - Season 1896/97
Back row - R S McColl, C B Miller, A J Christie, W A Lambie, R Anderson, K Anderson, 
J Ritchie, J Allison, R A Lambie.
Front row - J Irons, D Stewart, W Sellar, J Gillespie, H Butler.

Queen's Park were back at the "Tail of the Bank" on the following Saturday facing Morton at Cappielow Park in Greenock. The weather was miserable and there were only a few hundred spectators in the ground. Rain fell heavily for the entire ninety minutes and the pitch was a quagmire. Morton made the most of a first half wind advantage and led 3-1 at the interval with goals from Bob Davidson, Andrew Lynn and Sam Graham. The Queen's reply came from a Gardner own goal. In the second half, the Queen's Park forwards more than made up for their slack play in the opening period and scored four unanswered goals to record a 5-3 victory. The goals came from a scrimmage, Tom Crookston and Bob Hamilton (2). 

On Saturday 21 November, Queen's Park played their opening match in the Glasgow League. The Spiders' opponents were Clyde. The game attracted a good crowd to Barrowfield Park, although the attendance was affected by the counter-attraction of the Glasgow Cup Final replay between Celtic and Rangers at Cathkin Park. The Queen's Park team was short of a few regulars. It seems that Queen's may have underestimated Clyde and they were made to pay the penalty. John Gray gave the home side the lead and Jim Leslie made the half-time score 2-0 for Clyde with a penalty kick after John Ritchie had punched the ball clear. Clyde dominated the second half and scored a further three times. It was a humiliating 5-0 defeat for the Spiders.

Queen's Park visited Alexandria on Saturday 28 November to give Vale of Leven a financial boost. A good crowd saw an entertaining game. Queen's won 3-1 with goals from Bob Hamilton (2) and Robert Lambie.

The Queen's Park Committee recommended to the club's members at the half-yearly meeting that efforts be made to extend Hampden Park rather than move to a new stadium. Glasgow Corporation would be approached with a view to purchasing the vacant ground between Hampden Park and the public thoroughfare leading to Mount Florida. This would allow for the approaches to the ground to be greatly improved and for the accommodation to be increased.

On Saturday 5 December, Queen's Park met St Mirren at Love Street. The attendance was described as "miserable". It appears that the Paisley fans preferred competitive league games to friendly fixtures. St Mirren won 4-3, with goals from Hamilton, Alex Wylie (2) and Hugh Morgan. The Queen's Park goals came from Bob McColl, Bob Hamilton and a scrimmage.

Queen's Park travelled to England for the second time in the season on Saturday 12 December. Their destination on this occasion was the Baseball Ground in Derby and their opponents were Derby County. The weather was miserably wet and there were only around 2,000 spectators present. Derby were the better team in the first half on the heavy ground and led 2-0 at half-time. Both goals were scored by Steve Bloomer. Queen's Park played much better in the second half and pulled a goal back in 50 minutes through Willie Stewart. Queen's were unlucky not to equalise but, just on time, Bloomer headed his hat trick goal to give Derby a 3-1 victory.

Heart of Midlothian had been scheduled to visit Hampden Park on Saturday 19 December but called off, their excuse being that some of their players were unfit. Dundee stepped in to fill the breach. The Hampden pitch was covered in frost, making for difficult footing. The match was restricted to two halves of 35 minutes due to some Queen's Park players arriving 15 minutes late. The 2,000 or so spectators saw Queen's make a dominant start to the match and take the lead in 15 minutes through Hugh Butler. Bob McColl scored a second before half-time. Almost immediately after the restart, Robert Lambie put Queen's three ahead with a terrific shot. The game was very one-sided but Joe Clark pulled a goal back with a long well-judged shot. Queen's were still seemingly well in control but, near the end, Richard Allan made the score 3-2 from a scrimmage. The last few minutes, played in increasing darkness, were very exciting but there was no further scoring. 

On Boxing Day, Queen's Park were back in Paisley taking on Abercorn at Underwood Park. The game kicked off in what was described as a "perfect hurricane". Queen's goalkeeper Kenny Anderson stayed in the pavilion and Bob Smellie, a full back, played in goal. Abercorn had the wind advantage and took the lead through James Johnston. Rain began to come down in torrents and the pitch was in a terrible state. The conditions became impossible and the match was abandoned after 35 minutes. 

At a meeting on Monday 28 December, Glasgow Corporation's Parks Committee considered Queen's Park's application for an extension to Hampden Park. The Committee was agreeable to a lease of the land requested for a period of 12 to 20 years, with the option of a break on either side.

As was the tradition at New Year, Queen's Park welcomed Corinthians to Hampden Park on Friday 1 January 1897. The match attracted a crowd of around 14,000. Queen's made a fine start, winning numerous corner kicks. Willie Stewart was posing problems for the Londoners' defence and won a penalty kick when brought down by Oakley. Bob McColl took the kick and gave the Spiders the lead. The game became more even towards the interval and Corinthians went close to equalising. The visitors forced the pace after the break and drew level in 65 minutes from a long Charles Wreford Brown shot. Corinthians continued to have more of the play but a fine run by Willie Stewart gave Bob McColl the opportunity to restore the Spiders' lead and he made no mistake. A minute later, Bob Hamilton added a third. Queen's Park then began to dominate and Harrison in the Corinthians' goal had to be at his very best. Corinthians did not give up and, just on the call of time, Gilbert Smith scored the best goal of the game to make the final score 3-2 for Queen's Park. After the match the two sides had dinner in the Grand Hotel in Sauchiehall Street.

The Queen's Park team against Corinthians was given as - "Robertson"; J L Ritchie and J Gillespie; J H Irons, A J Christie and D Stewart; W S Stewart, R C Hamilton, R S McColl, R A Lambie and "Williams". Goalkeeper K L Anderson had decided that he wanted to be known as "Robertson", possibly because there was another goalkeeper called Anderson at the club. "Williams" was international winger W L Lambie. Everyone knew exactly who he was. The use of a pseudonym is puzzling.

John Gillespie

Queen's Park were in action in the first round of the Scottish Cup on Saturday 9 January. They had been drawn away to Edinburgh side St Bernard's. There was a crowd of 6,000 present at Logie Green on a wintry afternoon. Queen's were without Bob Hamilton, who was ineligible having played for Elgin City in the Scottish Qualifying Cup earlier in the season. Also missing were Alex Christie and Bob McFarlane. There was no scoring in the first half but St Bernard's were the better side. Queen's had Kenny Anderson to thank for not falling behind. After the break, the Spiders pressed hard in blinding snow but could not score. They were made to pay when, in 75 minutes, David Paton gave the home side the lead from a Alex McNeill corner kick. Queen's strove for an equaliser but it was St Bernard's who scored again through McNeill. Queen's Park made desperate efforts to avoid a deeply disappointing cup exit. Bob McColl pulled a goal back with a fine effort near the end but it was too little too late.

A week later, Queen's Park played their second Glasgow League match. Their opponents were Third Lanark. The Cathkin pitch was hard and slippery and, on the advice of trainer James Aitken, the Queen's players wore rubber-soled footwear. A crowd of almost 7,000 saw Third Lanark take the lead in three minutes with a Jack Peddie header. Not long afterwards, the Spiders responded with a burst of three goals in three minutes from Bob McColl, Willie Lambie and Willie Stewart. There were chances at both ends before, in the last 20 minutes of the match, Queen's Park scored a further three goals through Bob McColl (2) and Robert Lambie to record a 6-1 victory.

On Saturday 23 January, Dunblane were visitors to Hampden Park. Queen's Park were two up at the interval through Will Lambie and Bob McColl. Further second half goals from McColl and from a scrimmage made the final score 4-0.

There was something of a shock for the Spiders when young players Tom Gibbons and Andrew Robb decided to join Third Lanark.

The matches scheduled for Saturdays 30 January and 6 February 1897 were postponed due to severe frost. Queen's Park were next in action on Saturday 13 February with the visit of St Bernard's to Hampden Park. A crowd of 5,000 was present to see a 4-4 draw in unpleasant weather. Queen's were 2-0 ahead at the interval through Bob Hamilton and Willie Lambie. St Bernard's, without four regulars, fought back in the second half and drew level through either Alex McNeill or former Spider Tom Robertson and James Fisher. Robert Lambie set up Bob Hamilton to put Queen's back in the lead but, two minutes later, a slip by Queen's goalkeeper Kenny Anderson allowed James McMillan to level matters up again. Willie Stewart then struck a fourth goal for the Spiders but, straight from the kick-off, Fisher made the score 4-4 with a shot from 20 yards.

Queen's Park faced an Edinburgh side once again on Saturday 20 February. The opposition on this occasion was Hibernian. A small crowd of around 1,500 at Easter Road saw a comfortable Spiders' victory. Willie Stewart gave Queen's the lead with the help of a deflection and Robert Lambie doubled the advantage before half-time with a well-directed shot past James McGinn in the Hibs' goal. The Easter Road men made a good start to the second half, with Allan Martin pulling a goal back in 46 minutes. However, Queen's were soon back in control and goals from Bob Hamilton and Willie Lambie made the final score Hibernian 1 Queen's Park 4. 

It was back to Glasgow League business on Saturday 27 February, with Rangers the visitors to Hampden Park. It was the first meeting of the clubs that season and drew a crowd of 15,000. Queen's Park took the lead in the first half through Willie Lambie after a Bob McFarlane cross had been headed on to him by Hugh Butler. There were chances at both ends but the score remained 1-0 at the interval. Both sides had periods of supremacy in the second half but there was only one goal. It was Rangers who scored it, with a long shot from Nicol Smith. Queen's Park had been without Robert Lambie and Bob McColl, who were indisposed, as well as the ineligible Bob Hamilton. The Spiders' faithful were well pleased with the display of their patched-up team in the 1-1 draw.

On Saturday 6 March, there were 16,000 spectators at Cathkin Park for two trial matches for the upcoming international fixtures.

Queen's Park's return match with Corinthians took place at the Queen's Club in London on Saturday 13 March 1897. The crowd of around 8,000 included "an enthusiastic contingent of Scotchmen". The Spiders were without Kenny Anderson, Hugh Butler and Willie Lambie who were unable to travel to London. Corinthians led 2-0 at half-time through Cunliffe Gosling and Rupert Sandilands. Queen's Park applied a lot of pressure after the break and Bob McColl pulled a goal back. Five minutes later, the scores were level when a James Irons corner kick was forced through goal in a scrimmage. Both sides went all out for a winner but a very fine match ended in a 2-2 draw. 

John Ritchie captained Scotland against Wales in Wrexham on Saturday 20 March and scored the Scots' first goal with a penalty kick in a 2-2 draw. On that same afternoon, Queen's Park beat Ayr Parkhouse 6-2 in what was described as a very pleasant game before roughly 1,000 spectators in Ayr.

The final International trial match took place at Tynecastle Park in Edinburgh on Monday 22 March. The game was Home Scots v Anglo Scots and was aimed at helping the selectors pick the team to play England. Bob McColl and Willie Lambie featured in the trial.

On Saturday 27 March, Scotland played the second of the season's international fixtures, with Ireland the visitors to Ibrox Park. David Stewart, Bob McColl and Willie Lambie were in the Scots' line-up, with McColl scoring the third goal in a 5-1 victory. 

The focus returned to the Glasgow League on Saturday 3 April with the visit of Clyde to Hampden Park. Queen's Park had the upper hand from the outset and took the lead in 15 minutes with a Bob McColl header from a fine Stewart cross. A few minutes later, Wilson, looking suspiciously offside, equalised for Clyde. Queen's forced corner after corner in the second half and regained the lead through Willie Stewart. The visitors were now completely hemmed in but the Spiders' shooting was erratic. However, eventually, Bob McColl succeeded in beating the Clyde 'keeper to make the final score 3-1. But for loose play in front of goal, Queen's would have won by a much greater margin.

While the focus of Queen's Park may have been on the clash with Clyde, the focus of the country as a whole was very much on the big game against England at Crystal Palace in London. Willie Lambie captained the Scotland side that secured a famous 2-1 victory.

There was was a crowd of over 16,000 at Ibrox Park on Saturday 10 April for Queen's Park's latest Glasgow League match against Rangers. A hard-fought first half finished goalless. While Rangers had more of the play in the opening period, the position was reversed after the interval. Willie Stewart gave Queen's the lead in 55 minutes from a Willie Lambie pass. Bob McColl doubled the lead when he was first to react when an attempted Nicol Smith pass back came back off the crossbar. Towards the close, Bob McColl struck for a second time from a Willie Stewart cross to give the Spiders an impressive 3-0 victory. It was Rangers' first home defeat of the season.

On Thursday 15 April, Glasgow's Parks Committee considered an enquiry from Queen's Park as to whether the Parks Department would be willing to sell the club 5,258 square yards of ground adjacent to Hampden Park. The Committee took the view that the land should not be sold but confirmed that they were willing to grant a lease for say 12 to 20 years.

Queen's Park were at home to Celtic in the Glasgow League on Saturday 17 April. Despite threatening weather, a crowd of around 10,000 turned out for the game. Early in the match, James Irons sprained his ankle and could take no further part. However, even with ten men, Queen's more than held their own. There were no goals in the opening half but Bob McColl fired a penalty kick high over the bar after Willie Stewart had been tripped by Dan Doyle. With the wind advantage after the break, Queen's Park assumed the offensive and took the lead when Robert Lambie slipped through the Celtic defence and scored with a quick low shot. Robert's older brother Willie then made the score 2-0 with a fierce drive. By this point, Davie Stewart was limping badly but Queen's held on for a deserved victory. Celtic had a dangerous spell near the end but their shooting was erratic.

Two days after the Celtic game, a fairly strong Queen's Park side travelled down to Dumfries to play Nithsdale at Cresswell Park. Despite drizzle throughout, the match attracted the largest crowd in Dumfries for a considerable time. Queen's won 5-0, with goals from Bob McColl (2), Willie Stewart, Alex Christie and Robert Lambie.

On Saturday 1 May, Queen's Park had a home match with Third Lanark in the Glasgow League "before a gratifyingly large crowd". After Willie Lambie had missed two good chances, Bob Hamilton gave Queen's the lead after good play by Bob McColl. Five minutes from half-time, former Spider Tom Gibbons drew Third Lanark level with a fine shot. Then, in 50 minutes, John Dunlop, looking offside, gave the Volunteers the lead. Queen's equalised with a beautiful Willie Lambie shot after a great run up the wing. Queen's went close time after time and finally went ahead in 75 minutes when Bob Hamilton struck from a McColl assist. Seven minutes later, Hamilton returned the favour for Bob McColl to make the final score 4-2 for the Spiders.

Queen's Park's final Glasgow League fixture took place at Celtic Park on Monday 3 May 1897. A crowd of over 14,000 saw Queen's take an early lead with a Bob Hamilton header from a Robert Lambie cross. The match was keenly contested but the Spiders were doing most of the attacking and Hamilton doubled the advantage before the interval with a beautifully taken goal. In 60 minutes, Bob McColl carried the ball the length of the pitch and passed to Bob Hamilton who scored a third for Queen's. With ten minutes to go, Hamilton was on target once more to take his personal tally to four goals and complete a stunning and well-deserved 4-0 victory. Queen's Park were champions of the Glasgow League.

The Queen's Park side that clinched the Glasgow League championship at Celtic Park was - Kenny Anderson; John Ritchie and John Gillespie; Bob McFarlane, Alex Christie and Davie Stewart; Robert Lambie, Hugh Butler, Bob McColl, Bob Hamilton and Willie Lambie.

Following their Glasgow League triumph, Queen's Park were favourites to win the Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup but it was not to be. Queen's had been drawn against Third Lanark at the semi-final stage and the match took place at Rangers' Ibrox Park on Saturday 8 May. The Spiders were without Bob Hamilton, Willie Stewart and James Irons. Third Lanark drafted in James Gillespie, Jimmy Hannah and Bob Johnstone of Sunderland. The inclusion of Anglos in Charity Cup teams was controversial and there were calls for the rules to be changed. What turned out to be a poor first half for Queen's Park got off to an inauspicious start when Alex Christie, who was playing with an injured foot, was eleven minutes late in arriving. Third Lanark took the lead when Queen's goalkeeper Kenny Anderson fumbled a Bob Johnstone shot into the net. The 'keeper was again at fault when he missed a cross and Jack Peddie headed goal number two. Matters went from bad to worse for the Spiders when James Gillespie made the score 3-0 for the Volunteers at the interval. Queen's Park took the game in hand on the resumption and pulled a goal back when a John Ritchie free kick was deflected in off Robert Barr. Queen's had lots of possession for the remainder of the game but their shooting was poor and they slumped to a highly disappointing 3-1 defeat.

There was some success for Queen's Park in the aftermath of the Charity Cup defeat. On Friday 14 May, the club's second eleven, the Strollers, beat Third Lanark 'A' 3-1 before a crowd of 3,000 in the Glasgow Reserve Association Cup Final at Cathkin Park.

A new league competition had been established in season 1896/97 - the Scottish Combination. It comprised the second elevens of Celtic, Hearts, Queen's Park and Rangers, together with the first elevens of East Stirlingshire, Falkirk, Hamilton Academical, Royal Albert, Stenhousemuir and Wishaw Thistle. The Queen's Park Strollers finished in seventh place, with seven wins, two draws and nine losses.
On Saturday 15 May, Queen's Park travelled north to play Aberdeen at Chanonry. A large crowd saw Queen's win 8-1.

Queen's Park's Annual General Meeting took place in the UP Church Hall in Langside Road on Thursday 27 May 1897. The club's membership was 640. James Lawrence was elected President and the credit balance was £2,051 6s 2d - the largest ever achieved by the club. The playing records for the season were: First Eleven - played 34, won 19, drawn 6, lost 9; Strollers - played 33, won 18, drawn 3, lost 12; Hampden XI - played 28, won 14, drawn 6, lost 8; Victoria XI - played 26, won 8, drawn 4, lost 14.

Queen's Park would not be joining the Scottish League in season 1897/98. A small section of the membership wanted to join the league. However, it was felt by the majority that regular competitive football was not in the best interests of the playing members. If injured playing hard games week after week, absence from work could have serious financial consequences.

Following the loss of two players to Third Lanark earlier in the season, striker Bob Hamilton and reserve goalkeeper James Yuille signed for Rangers. The exodus of players to professional clubs, which would become all too common, was now under way.

Queen's Park held their first Sports event in some years on Saturday 5 June. The programme was confined to amateurs and the attendance of 5,000 or so was disappointing. Professional athletes were more of an attraction.

Results 1896/97

First Eleven
29/08/1896 Fair City Athletic (Perth) 1 Queen's Park 0
05/09/1896 Queen's Park 2 Ayr Parkhouse 2
12/09/1896 Queen's Park 6 Port Glasgow Athletic 1
19/09/1896 Queen's Park 7 Battlefield 0 - Glasgow Cup
28/09/1896 Everton 3 Queen's Park 3
03/10/1896 Queen's Park 4 Renton 1
10/10/1896 Queen's Park 6 Dumbarton 1
17/10/1896 Airdrieonians 2 Queen's Park 1
24/10/1896 Queen's Park 3 Hibernian 4
31/10/1896 Queen's Park 2 Celtic 4 - Glasgow Cup semi-final
07/11/1896 Port Glasgow Athletic 5 Queen's Park 5
14/11/1896 Morton 3 Queen's Park 5
21/11/1896 Clyde 5 Queen's Park 0 - Glasgow League
28/11/1896 Vale of Leven 1 Queen's Park 3
05/12/1896 St Mirren 4 Queen's Park 3
12/12/1896 Derby County 3 Queen's Park 1
19/12/1896 Queen's Park 3 Dundee 2
26/12/1896 Abercorn (Paisley) 1 Queen's Park 0 (abandoned after 35 minutes)
01/01/1897 Queen's Park 3 Corinthians (London) 2
09/01/1897 St Bernard's 2 Queen's Park 1 - Scottish Cup
16/01/1897 Third Lanark 1 Queen's Park 6 - Glasgow League
23/01/1897 Queen's Park 4 Dunblane 0
13/02/1897 Queen's Park 4 St Bernard's 4
20/02/1897 Hibernian 1 Queen's Park 4
27/02/1897 Queen's Park 1 Rangers 1 - Glasgow League
13/03/1897 Corinthians (London) 2 Queen's Park 2
20/03/1897 Ayr Parkhouse 2 Queen's Park 6
03/04/1897 Queen's Park 3 Clyde 1 - Glasgow League
10/04/1897 Rangers 0 Queen's Park 3 - Glasgow League
17/04/1897 Queen's Park 2 Celtic 0 - Glasgow League
19/04/1897 Nithsdale (Dumfries) 0 Queen's Park 5
01/05/1897 Queen's Park 4 Third Lanark 2 - Glasgow League
03/05/1897 Celtic 0 Queen's Park 4 - Glasgow League
08/05/1897 Queen's Park 1 Third Lanark 3 (at Ibrox Park) - Glasgow Charity Cup
15/05/1897 Aberdeen 1 Queen's Park 8

Second Eleven - The Strollers
29/08/1896 Bathgate 4 Strollers 1
05/09/1896 Wishaw Thistle 1 Strollers 3 - Scottish Combination
12/09/1896 Heart of Midlothian 'A' 5 Strollers 2 - Scottish Combination
19/09/1896 East Stirlingshire 3 Strollers 1 - Scottish Combination
26/09/1896 Strollers 4 Hamilton Academical 2 - Scottish Combination
10/10/1896 Royal Albert (Larkhall) 4 Strollers 0 - Scottish Combination
17/10/1896 Heart of Midlothian 'A' 6 Strollers 1 - Scottish 2nd XI Cup
24/10/1896 Albion Rovers 2 Strollers 7
07/11/1896 Alloa Athletic 1 Strollers 1
21/11/1896 Arthurlie 1 Strollers 3
28/11/1896 Strollers 1 Celtic 'A' 2 - Scottish Combination
05/12/1896 Thornliebank 6 Strollers 0
12/12/1896 Strollers 3 Wishaw Thistle 1 - Scottish Combination
19/12/1896 Abercorn Amateurs (Paisley) 2 Strollers 3
26/12/1896 Strollers 4 Royal Albert (Larkhall) 3 - Scottish Combination
09/01/1897 Strollers 3 East Stirlingshire 1 - Scottish Combination
16/01/1897 Dunfermline 1 Strollers 4
23/01/1897 Cartvale (Busby) 0 Strollers 1
13/02/1897 Stenhousemuir 6 Strollers 1 - Scottish Combination
20/02/1897 Strollers 2 Falkirk 2 - Scottish Combination
27/02/1896 Rangers 'A' 3 Strollers 4 - Scottish Combination
06/03/1896 Celtic 'A' 2 Strollers 0 - Scottish Combination
13/03/1897 Strollers 2 Heart of Midlothian 'A' 5 - Scottish Combination
27/03/1897 Strollers 7 Stenhousemuir 2 - Scottish Combination
03/04/1897 Stevenston Thistle 3 Strollers 4
10/04/1896 Strollers 0 Rangers 'A' 3 - Scottish Combination
24/04/1896 Hamilton Academical 1 Strollers 1 - Scottish Combination
27/04/1897 Strollers 2 Celtic 'A' 0 - Glasgow Reserve XI Cup
01/05/1897 Falkirk 2 Strollers 1 - Scottish Combination
06/05/1897 Strollers 4 Rangers 'A' 3 - Glasgow Reserve XI Cup semi-final
14/05/1897 Third Lanark 'A' 1 Strollers 3 - Glasgow Reserve XI Cup Final

Third Eleven - The Hampden Eleven
05/09/1896 Royal Victoria (Rothesay) 3 Hampden Eleven 2
26/09/1896 Vale of Grange (Bo'ness) 2 Hampden Eleven 2
03/10/1896 Overton (Greenock) 4 Hampden Eleven 2
10/10/1896 2nd Airdrieonians 5 Hampden Eleven 2
24/10/1896 2nd Cartvale (Busby) 1 Hampden Eleven 4
31/10/1896 Jordanhill 3 Hampden Eleven 2
14/11/1896 Johnstone Rangers 2 Hampden Eleven 6
28/11/1896 Ashfield 3 Hampden Eleven 3
19/12/1896 Maryhill 2 Hampden Eleven 3
26/12/1896 Glasgow Perthshire 2 Hampden Eleven 2
16/01/1897 Strathclyde 2 Hampden Eleven 4
23/01/1897 Vale of Clyde 4 Hampden Eleven 1
13/02/1897 Jamestown Athletic 0 Hampden Eleven 4
27/03/1897 Ardencaple (Helensburgh) 5 Hampden Eleven 5
03/04/1897 Dunfermline 3 Hampden Eleven 5
24/04/1897 Nithsdale (Dumfries) 1 Hampden Eleven 3
28/04/1897 Hampden Eleven 9 Strathclyde 0

Fourth Eleven - The Victoria Eleven
12/12/1896 Kilmacolm 2 Victoria Eleven 0

Representative Matches
07/11/1896 Sheffield 5 Glasgow 1
20/03/1897 Wales 2 Scotland 2
27/03/1897 Scotland 5 Ireland 1
03/04/1897 England 1 Scotland 2

No comments:

Post a Comment