Season 1894/95

Queen's Park's practice games commenced on Monday 31 July and would continue on each weekday evening, except Friday, until the new season got officially underway.

The first action of season 1894/95 for a number of Queen's Park players was a benefit match at Celtic Park on Saturday 4 August 1894 between Celtic and a Queen's eleven selected by club president William Sellar. Despite threatening weather and various counter-attractions, a crowd of around 4,000 turned out for the game. The Spiders' team was a mixture of first eleven and second eleven players, as well as new recruits Hughie Smith from Third Lanark and Henderson from Battlefield. Play was pretty even for most of the opening half but Celtic got on top just before half-time and Joe Cassidy put them into the lead. Shortly after the restart, Johnny Hamilton equalised with a stunning 25 yard shot. Barrett in the Queen's goal had several good saves and Tommy Waddell missed a great chance for the Spiders but there was no further scoring.

Two weeks later, a scratch Queen's Park side beat Kilmarnock Athletic 3-2 before a large crowd at Holm Quarry in Kilmarnock. On the following Saturday, Queen's Park were at Holm Park in Newton Stewart facing local side Newton-Stewart Athletic. There was said to have been a very large turnout at the game. A fairly well-represented Spiders' side were 2-0 ahead at half-time through Stevenson and Sellar. The final score was 6-0. David Stewart was the unlikely scorer of three second half goals.

Queen's Park's first serious match of the season came on Saturday 1 September when near-neighbours 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers, now generally simply known as Third Lanark, were visitors to Hampden Park. The 6,000 spectators saw Queen's make the early running but it was the visitors who took the lead through Robert Barbour. Play was even for a spell but Third Lanark doubled their lead before the interval. After the break, the Volunteers extended their lead to to 3-0 from a scrimmage. Queen's Park began to take control of the play at this point. Willie Lambie shot widely over the bar and then a Henderson shot hit the woodwork. In the last 15 minutes, the Spiders pulled two goals back, through Henderson and Muir, but, try as they might in the closing minutes, they could not find an equaliser. Although Queen's had been unlucky to lose the match, the lack of fitness in the side was very apparent. Several players had done no training at all. Several senior players were still on holiday. It was clear that, if the club was to hold its own with its professional opponents, regular training was essential.

On Saturday 8 September, Queen's Park opened Linthouse's new ground Govandale Park. A crowd of around 2,500 saw the Spiders claim a 2-1 victory. Queen's took the lead through a Henderson penalty kick but Steel equalised before half-time with a long-range effort. The Spiders' winner came out of a scrimmage. The Queen's players were not impressed with Linthouse's pitch.

The first competitive match of the season came on Saturday 15 September 1894. The occasion was a Glasgow Cup first round tie with Rangers at Ibrox Park. The match attracted a crowd of around 16,000. Queen's Park played well against the wind in the first half but, towards half-time, Rangers pressed and John McPherson scored with a header. Queen's claimed that the ball had been out of play before being crossed to McPherson. Almost immediately afterwards, the same player doubled the Light Blues' lead with a lovely shot. Shortly after the interval, Willie Lambie received a nasty injury. He eventually returned but was "lame and practically useless." Queen's play improved greatly as the game progressed but they were unable to breach the Rangers' defence, due to a combination of poor shooting and good goalkeeping, and the game ended in a 2-0 victory for the home side. The Spiders team that exited from the Glasgow Cup was - Baird; Sinclair and Smith; Gillespie, McFarlane and D Stewart; A Stewart and Waddell; Henderson; W Lambie and Sellar.

On Saturday 22 September, unbeaten Hibernian were visitors to Hampden Park. The 5,000 spectators were treated to a fine, well-contested game. Tommy Waddell put Queen's ahead from a scrimmage and then doubled the Spiders' lead when he was first to the ball after 'keeper James McGinn parried a Stewart shot. Hibernian pulled a goal back before half-time when a Michael Murray shot was left by the Queen's goalkeeper and defence, thinking he was offside, and the ball trundled into the goal. Hibs drew level after the break through a fine Charlie Amos effort. Then, with five minutes remaining, Bob McColl gave Queen's Park the win with a shot that simply rocketed past McGinn. The Glasgow Herald described the reaction to this goal - "Then the spectators on the grand stand waved their sticks and gave vent to a right good cheer."

Queen's Park met English opposition for the first time in the season on Thursday 27 September. The Spiders made the journey to Clayton in Manchester to take on Newton Heath (later Manchester United). The 2,000 spectators saw a good game in fine weather. Queen's led 2-1 at half-time, with goals from Willie Lambie and Bob McColl. John Clarkin replied for Newton Heath. Tommy Waddell extended the Spiders' lead after the break but the English side fought back with goals from Clarkin and John Dow to earn a deserved draw.

The Spiders were back at Hampden Park two days later facing old acquaintances Renton. Bob McColl gave Queen's the lead in ten minutes from a Waddell pass and David Stewart doubled the lead before half-time. A brilliant pass from Stark set up David Stewart for goal number three with 20 minutes remaining. That was the end of the scoring. 

On Saturday 6 October, Queen's Park met St Mirren at Love Street in Paisley. There was only one goal in an even first half. It was St Mirren who scored it through Tommy Fitzsimmons. The St Mirren goal had several narrow escapes after the break but it was the Paisley side that scored again from a scrimmage, with Matthew Mullen getting the final touch. Then Taylor made it 3-0 after a fine run. Queen's Park began to make more of an impression on the match and Stark pulled a goal back. The Spiders pressed hard to the final whistle but St Mirren held on for a surprising 3-1 victory.

On the following Saturday, Battlefield visited Hampden Park. The match did not capture the imagination of the public and there was only a meagre attendance. Queen's Park won 8-2. The Spiders' goalscorers varied from report to report but The Scottish Referee went for Lambie (4), Henderson (2), Gillespie and McFarlane. Anderson and Marshall replied for Battlefield.

A week later, on Saturday 20 October, Queen's Park met leading English club Sunderland at Hampden Park. The wet and windy weather restricted the crowd to around the 5,000 mark. The game was a nightmare for the Spiders and a personal disaster for goalkeeper Andrew Baird who was at fault for four of the goals in an 8-1 defeat. The visitors were 5-0 ahead after only 35 minutes, with goals from Jimmy Hannah (2), Hughie Wilson, Andrew McCreadie and Jimmy Millar. Bob McColl pulled a goal back before half-time. Queen's Park had the strong breeze in their favour in the second half. A fightback was anticipated but did not materialise. Sunderland scored a further three goals through Tom Hyslop (2) and John Harvey. It had been an excellent performance by the visitors but the Spiders' display, as described by the Glasgow Herald, was "a miserable show" and "an appalling indictment of the Q.P." On the same afternoon in Kirkcaldy, Glasgow drew 3-3 with East of Scotland (minus Edinburgh). Tom Robertson played for the Glasgow side.

In the aftermath of the Sunderland defeat, The Scottish Referee commented on the "... indifference of some of the amateurs/they will not train/altogether a very ticklish company to manage." The humiliation at the hands of Sunderland raised the question of whether Queen's Park should consider bringing in some professional players. Scottish Sport believed that a number of prominent members of the club had been considering the pros and cons of professional help "at the present serious juncture of affairs", but had  decided to remain purely amateur.

On Saturday 27 October, Queen's Park had the opportunity to redeem themselves when they made the short trip to Cathkin Park to play Third Lanark. It was clear that the Spiders' fans were none too happy about the previous week's humiliation. The team was greeted with stony silence as they took the field at Cathkin. There were a number of changes in the Queen's Park line-up, including the introduction of Kenny Anderson from Battlefield in goal. The changes worked well and Queen's performed extremely well in a fine game of football before a 6,000 strong crowd. Willie Lambie gave the Spiders a 1-0 interval lead but Willie Johnstone equalised after the break. It was end to end stuff in the last 15 minutes and Queen's got the winner with two minutes to go. The scorer is unclear. The Glasgow Herald went for Tommy Waddell, while the North British Daily Mail opted for George McGowan. Scottish Sport explained that a long Waddell shot was deflected in off McGowan's foot.

On the first Saturday in November, Queen's Park met an understrength Stoke side at Hampden Park before a crowd of around 3,000. Queen's were on the attack from the outset and took the lead through George McGowan from a Stewart free kick. The lead was doubled when Bob McColl was first to react after the Stoke 'keeper parried a Waddell shot. After the break, the lead was extended to 3-0. Queen's were awarded a free kick ten yards from goal. John Gillespie slipped the ball to Willie Lambie who fired home. The visitors then had a good spell and pulled a goal back with a fine Dixon strike. Just on time, Willie Lambie restored the Spiders' three goal advantage from an Andy Stewart pass.

Bob McColl

A week later, Queen's were in Ayrshire taking on Kilmarnock at Rugby Park. What was described as a fast and exciting game, played before a large crowd, ended in a 3-2 victory for the Spiders. Bob McColl scored Queen's opening goal and the winning goal. The scorer of the other goal is not known. John Brodie scored the first Kilmarnock goal.

On Saturday 17 November, Queen's Park were in Alexandria for the opening of Vale of Leven's newly-improved ground. Vale of Leven had almost ceased to exist and had been reconstructed as an amateur club. According to The Scotsman "For old friendship's sake, Queen's Park gave them a start in their new lease of life." Despite Vale having some promising young players, they were no match for a strong Queen's Park side and the Spiders ran out 8-0 winners. The four first half goals came from Stewart, Lambie (2) and an own goal. The second half scorers are not known.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park were involved in what was viewed as Scotland's biggest game of the season up to that point. The occasion was a first round tie of the final stage of the Scottish Cup against Celtic at Parkhead. The match attracted a crowd of around 16,000 (14,198 paid for admission). Celtic were first to show on a pitch slippery after overnight frost and took an early lead when either Johnny Campbell or John Divers was on the end of a corner kick. Celtic were the better side but Queen's Park had chances. However, it was the home side that was to collect the next goal when Campbell netted from a Johnny Madden pass. Celtic's superiority continued after the interval and, in 65 minutes, they went three ahead through Joe Cassidy after Kenny Anderson had parried a Jimmy Blessington shot. The Spiders came close a couple of times but, in 65 minutes, Blessington set up Campbell for a fourth Celtic goal. Queen's finished strongly and pulled a goal back through Tommy Waddell. The Spiders were crowding around the Celtic goal at the finish but it was too little too late. It was a deeply disappointing 4-1 defeat for the Hampden men. Queen's Park had arranged practice games on the Tuesday and Thursday before the Celtic match but it was not enough. The Glasgow Herald commented - "... untrained amateur talent has no chance with even moderately trained professionals." The Queen's Park side that fell at the first hurdle was - K L Anderson; W Hay and H F Smith; J Gillespie, R McFarlane and D Stewart; A Stewart and T S Waddell; G J McGowan; R S McColl and W A Lambie.

William Hay of London Caledonians had been admitted to membership of Queen's Park at an emergency meeting of the club committee on the morning of the Celtic game.

Hibernian were visitors to Hampden Park on Saturday 1 December. Queen's Park's heavy defeat at Celtic Park a week earlier had an adverse effect on the attendance. Hibernian took the early initiative but it was Queen's Park who took the lead when Dyke Berry met a corner kick and fired a shot in off the post. That was as good as it got for Queen's. The score was still 1-0 at the interval but the Edinburgh side scored four unanswered second half goals to record a convincing 4-1 victory. The Hibs' scorers were Michael Murray, Allan Martin or Murray, William Smith and Alex Howie. It was humiliating defeat for the Spiders.

After the defeat at Parkhead in the Scottish Cup, Queen's Park had the opportunity to make amends when Celtic visited Hampden Park for a friendly match on Saturday 8 December. Surprisingly, this was the first ever official friendly fixture between the clubs. An enthusiastic crowd of around 7,000 saw Queen's play with a level of dash and determination not previously seen that season. To the surprise of the spectators, Queen's Park completely outplayed their opponents. The Spiders scored the only goal of the opening half when a Gillespie free kick near goal gave Willie Lambie an opening and the little winger made no mistake. Tommy Waddell, who was in brilliant form, made the score 2-0 in 78 minutes and added a third with a great effort soon afterwards. A few minutes from time, with the light fading badly, David Stewart made the final score 4-0. Even though Celtic were without Dan Doyle, Sandy McMahon and Willie Maley, this was a great performance by Queen's Park. Willie Gulliland returned to the Spiders' side after a period of unavailability due to work pressures and turned in a brilliant display.

On the following Saturday, Rangers were visitors to Hampden Park. Queen's were without Hugh Smith, Bob McFarlane and Willie Gulliland - three players who played a leading role in the defeat of Celtic. Rangers were also understrength. Queen's Park took the lead in 12 minutes when Tommy Waddell fired home a low shot. Queen's Park were then awarded a penalty kick but Willie Lambie shot the ball over the bar. In 48 minutes, Tommy Waddell made the score 2-0 from close range. Shortly afterwards, Rangers scored twice in quick succession to draw the sides level. Queen's Park's Stark had been injured early in the match and had been limping badly ever since. Immediately after the Rangers equaliser, John Gillespie was carried off injured, leaving Queen's more or less reduced to nine men. The Spiders more than held their own for a spell but, against the run of play, David Boyd headed Rangers into the lead. The same player then struck again to give the Light Blues a 4-2 victory.

Queen's Park had decided that Hampden Park should be the first Scottish ground to have turnstiles, following their successful introduction in England. The self-registering turnstiles were in use for the first time at the match with Rangers. 

On Saturday 22 December, Queen's Park welcomed Ayr Parkhouse to Hampden Park. A smallish crowd saw Queen's sweep into a three-goal lead, despite playing against a strong wind. The scorers were Willie Stewart, Alan Fraser and David Stewart. Ayr Parkhouse pulled back two goals through Tait and Wallace but David Stewart then scored twice more to give the Spiders a 5-2 lead, before French scored again for the visitors to make the score 5-3 at half-time. With the advantage of the wind, Queen's Park scored three unanswered second half goals, through David Stewart, Alan Fraser and Tommy Waddell to extend the winning margin to 8-3.

Two days after Christmas, Queen's Park enjoyed another 8-3 victory. On this occasion, their opponents were Leith Athletic. The match was played in stormy conditions and the Hampden pitch was in a sorry state. Goals from either Andy or Willie Stewart gave Queen's a two nil lead at the interval. Only poor shooting and brilliant goalkeeping prevented the advantage being greater. The second half scorers are unclear. Willie Lambie scored twice to make the score 4-0. Willie Stewart and Bob McColl both then scored for Queen's and the final two goals may have been scored by Willie Lambie. John Paterson (2) and Robert Boyd replied for the Edinburgh side. 

Queen's Park's annual New Year's Day game with Corinthians drew a crowd of 12,000 to Hampden Park. The pitch was hard and "liberally strewn with sand". Queen's made the better start but Willie Lambie and David Stewart both missed easy chances. The Spiders were made to pay for their profligacy when Hugh Stanbrough opened the scoring for the Londoners with a lovely shot. Play was end to end before Tommy Waddell struck the equaliser from a Sinclair pass. A couple of minutes later, however, Stanbrough restored Corinthians' lead and, before half-time, the same player scored his third of the game to give the visitors a 3-1 lead at the interval. It was all Queen's Park for much of the second half but the Spiders had only one goal to show for their efforts. The scorer was David Stewart from a Lambie corner kick. Queen's dominated to the end but Corinthians were the victors by three goals to two. The Queen's Park side that suffered a disappointing loss was - Anderson; Sinclair and Smith; Sillars, McFarlane and Allison; W Stewart, Waddell, D Stewart, McColl and W Lambie. 

The Spiders did not have a game on Saturday 5 January 1895 and a hard frost decimated the football programme on the following Saturday. Queen's Park's next game was on Saturday 19 January when the team made their first visit to Stirling to play King's Park. The match was declared unofficial due to the hard ground and was restricted to two halves of 35 minutes. Queen's had the better of the play in the opening half but the match was goalless at the interval. Soon after the restart, Bob McColl gave the Spiders the lead. However, as the game was coming to a close, Faber equalised for King's Park and, just before the final whistle, Wattie Thomson score the winner for the Stirling men.

Frost, once again, was the winner on Saturday 26 January and the following two Saturdays and Queen's Park's first eleven did not play again until Saturday 23 February. However, on Saturday 2 February, the second eleven, the Strollers, met Heart of Midlothian Strollers at Cathkin Park in the Scottish Second Eleven Cup Final. The pitch had to be cleared of snow for the match to proceed. Hearts won the game 3-1. Queen's Park protested at the result on the basis that five of the Hearts' side had played for other clubs in violation of the rules. The Committee of the Second Eleven Association met on the following Tuesday to consider the matter. "After a very careful consideration", the protest was dismissed by the Committee. 

After five weeks of inactivity, Queen's Park returned to action on 23 February with a match against Hibernian at Easter Road. Although the ground was heavy, the two sides served up an entertaining game. Queen's scored the only goal of an even first half when Willie Lambie headed a Gulliland cross past James McGinn in the Hibs' goal. A few minutes into the second half, John Gillespie doubled the Spiders' lead. Michael Murray then pulled a goal back for the Edinburgh side. Allan Martin of Hibernian received an accidental kick to the head and this was the signal for spectators to begin to stone Queen's Park players. The game became very rough, with numerous fouls, and John Gillespie had to leave the field injured. Michael Murray drew the sides level and, with minutes to go, the same player score his hat trick goal to give the home side a 3-2 win. 

On Saturday 2 March, trial matches for the upcoming fixtures with Wales, Ireland and England took place at Cathkin Park. A number of Queen's Park players took part.

Queen's Park were down south on Saturday 9 March for a return match with Corinthians at London's Kennington Oval. Despite disagreeable weather and many counter-attractions, over 4,000 spectators were in attendance. Corinthians fielded a very strong side but the Spiders had several regulars missing. Queen's Park went down to a 4-0 defeat on a very heavy ground. Queen's defended doggedly in the first half, with Kenny Anderson superb in goal, but Corinthians went into the break with a one-goal lead. Dewhurst was the scorer. The Londoners scored a further three times in the second half, through Gerard Dewhurst and Robert Gosling (2), to earn a well-deserved victory. 

A week after the defeat in London, Queen's Park met Rangers at Ibrox Park before a crowd of around 6,000. The Spiders were missing Tommy Waddell, who had missed the train from Edinburgh, and Willie Gulliland, who was out of town. Queen's had the benefit of the sun and breeze in the first half and took the lead through Willie Lambie. A few minutes later, John Gillespie headed home a free kick to double the lead. After the break, the Light Blues pulled a goal back through either Marshall or Gibson. John Barker then scored a controversial equaliser to draw the sides level. There was general agreement that the linesman had been at fault in not spotting that the ball had been out of play before being crossed to Barker. Both sides then created chances but the natch ended in a 2-2 draw.

On Saturday 23 March, Queen's Park were at home once more, with Third Lanark the visitors. Heavy rain and a strong wind affected the attendance. Queen's made an impressive start to the match and were two goals ahead in 20 minutes. Willie Lambie was the scorer on both occasions. For the first goal, he was sent through by former Ayr Parkhouse player John Cameron and beat 'keeper Ross with a smart shot. The North British Daily Mail described his second goal in these terms - "... the ball was pounced upon in a brilliant manner by Lambie, who bounded past the Volunteer backs like a deer, and banged the leather into the net." A few minutes before half-time, David Stewart scored a third for Queen's from a scrimmage. Queen's Park had to face the wind in the second half but held on comfortable for a 3-0 victory. While his teammates were facing Third Lanark, Donald Sillars was a member of the Scotland side that drew 1-1 with Wales in Wrexham.

Queen's Park made their second visit of the year to Stirling on Saturday 30 March. On this occasion, they overcame King's Park by three goals to one. An even first half was scoreless. Queen's took the lead in 60 minutes from a scrimmage and, a few minutes later, Stevenson doubled the lead. David Stewart made the score 3-0 before Wilson pulled one back for the home side. There was no further scoring. While the Spiders were in action in Stirling, Willie Lambie and Tommy Waddell played in Scotland's 3-1 win over Ireland at Celtic Park. Lambie scored Scotland's first goal.

Queen's Park and Celtic met in a friendly match at Celtic Park on Saturday 6 April. Queen's, playing with the wind, took an early lead when Dunbar miskicked when trying to clear and Willie Stewart slipped the ball past Joe Cullen in the Celtic goal. David Muir doubled the Spiders' lead from a scrimmage and David Stewart made the score 3-0 at half-time with a fine shot from twenty yards. Most of the 3,000 or so spectators thought that Celtic, with the wind advantage, would make up the deficit in the second half. However, the Queen's defence stood firm and it was the Spiders who scored the only goal of the half when new man Tom Crookston beat two defenders and set up Willie Stewart to seal an impressive 4-0 victory. While Celtic and Queen's Park were battling it out at Parkhead, players from both sides were part of the Scotland eleven taking on England at Goodison Park in Liverpool. Willie Gulliland, Willie Lambie and Tommy Waddell of Queen's and Dan McArthur and Dan Doyle of Celtic were to suffer disappointment as the Scots slumped to a 3-0 defeat. 

On Saturday 13 April, Queen's Park met Dundee at Carolina Port in that was described as one of the finest games witnessed in Juteopolis for some time. The crowd of 5,000 had to be patient. The train bringing the Queen's Park players through from Glasgow was almost an hour late and the scheduled 4.15pm kick-off was delayed until after 5 o'clock. Queen's were well on top in the first half but had only a John Cameron goal to show for their superiority. The Spiders controlled the second period also and secured a 2-0 win when Willie Lambie was first to react when 'keeper Barratt saved a Willie Stewart shot with his feet.

Two days later, Queen's Park were in Sunderland looking to reverse the result from the previous October. Queen's set out after the game in Dundee and spent Sunday in Berwick before arriving in Sunderland by train just before 2pm on the Monday. There was a crowd of around 7,000 at the Newcastle Road ground. Queen's Park went a goal behind in the first minute through Campbell. Queen's equalised when John Cameron ran from his own half and gave Ned Doig no chance with a low shot into the corner of the net. Willie Lambie then robbed a defender and fired the Spiders ahead. Andrew McCreadie equalised with a 30-yard drive but Willie Lambie outpaced Meehan on the left and fired Queen's back into the lead at half-time. Just after the restart, James Gillespie brought the scores level again. The game looked like ending in a draw but, just on time, Willie Stewart broke through to give Queen's an impressive 4-3 victory.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park travelled through to the capital to take on Leith Athletic at Beechwood Park. There were three Stewarts in the Queen's side - Andy (left half), Willie (outside right) and David (centre forward). Boyd gave Leith an early lead but, after a period of sustained attacking, Stewart hit an equaliser. Shortly after the interval, Stewart put Queen's 2-1 ahead. The Edinburgh men then equalised but Johnny Cameron quickly restored the Spiders' lead. Late in the game, goals from Cameron and Stewart extended Queen's advantage to 5-2 but Leith Athletic scored twice in the last minute through Boyd and Marshall to make the final result a 5-4 victory for Queen's Park. It is anyone's guess which of the Stewarts scored for Queen's.

On Saturday 27 April, Renton were visitors to Hampden Park. Tommy Waddell gave Queen's the lead with a swift low shot and Bob McFarlane doubled the lead with an effort from 15 yards. Two John Cameron goals then gave the Spiders a 4-0 lead at the interval. Renton did not give up and, in the 89th minute, Murray pulled a goal back to make the final score 4-1 for Queen's Park.

On Wednesday 1 May, Queen's Park beat Ayr Parkhouse 8-5 before a crowd of 3,000 at Beresford Park in Ayr. The strength of the Queen's side is unknown, as are the goalscorers. Then, on the Saturday of that week, a Queen's Park eleven, consisting of a mixture of first and second eleven players, drew 2-2 with Victoria United before a crowd of 5,000 at the Victoria Bridge Grounds in Aberdeen. Two William Gulliland strikes gave the Spiders a 2-0 lead at half-time but the home side fought back to draw level in the second period. 

On Wednesday 8 May, Queen's Park met Heart of Midlothian at Hampden Park before a crowd of around 4,000. Play was even in the opening half, with chances at both ends, but there was no scoring at the interval. Queen's were on top in the second half and scored the only goal of the game when McMillan put through his own goal in trying to clear a William Gulliland shot. The margin of victory would have been greater had it not been for Jock Fairbairn in the Hearts' goal.

Queen's Park played their last competitive match of the season on Tuesday 14 May 1895. The occasion was a Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup tie with Celtic at Hampden Park. The game was vigorously contested throughout and excitement was intense among the crowd of 15,000. There were numerous chances at both ends in the first half hour or so but a goal did not come until the 37th minute. It was Celtic who got it when a Tommy Morrison centre resulted in a stramash in front of goal and the ball took an unfortunate bounce through the posts. Queen's Park had the better of the second half and were unlucky not to score but the result at the final whistle remained 1-0 for Celtic. A draw would have been a fairer result. Queen's had won two of the four official games with Celtic in the course of the season but the Parkhead men had come out on top in the two that really mattered. The Spiders side that exited the Charity Cup was - K L Anderson; W H Sinclair and H F Smith; J Gillespie, R McFarlane and J Allison; W Gulliland and T S Waddell; R S McColl; W A Lambie and W S Stewart.

There were delays and congestion as supporters queued to enter Hampden Park for the Celtic game. The Scottish Referee called for a drastic improvement in the entrances to the ground, with a need to double the number of turnstiles.

On Saturday 18 May, only nine days after their meeting at Hampden Park, Queen's Park and Heart of Midlothian faced one another at Tynecastle Park and played out a 1-1 draw. The Queen's side was close to a second eleven. George Scott gave the Edinburgh men the lead in the 46th minute but, in the dying seconds, either Tom Crookston or Willie Stewart struck the equaliser. The Scotsman was not impressed by  the afternoon's entertainment, describing the fare provided as "... probably the worst game ever played at Tynecastle, or anywhere else for that matter."

Queen's Park's last action of the season came on Tuesday 21 May when a young Spiders eleven met Johnstone at Newfield Park in a match to raise funds for the Renfrewshire club. A hard-fought and exciting game ended in a 3-2 win for Queen's Park.

Queen's Park - Season 1894/95
Back row - A Stewart, R S McColl, H Smith W G Stewart.
Middle row - C B Miller, J Allison, K Anderson, J Gillespie, R Smellie, W Gulliland, J Cameron, W Sinclair.
Front row - D Sillars, T S Waddell, W Sellar, W A Lambie, D Stewart.

At the Queen's Park AGM on Thursday 30 May, William Sellar was re-elected as President. The club's accounts showed a balance of £455 18s 3d. 

Queen's Park's annual sports had been due to take place on Saturday 1 June but were cancelled following a dispute between the two athletic bodies, the SAAA and the SAU.

At a Special General Meeting on 12 June, John Hamilton and William Clelland were expelled from the club for having signed professional forms with other clubs.

Finally, on Monday 17 June 1895, at a meeting of the International Board in the Alexandra Hotel in Glasgow's Bath Street, the rule on throw-ins was clarified - "... the player, when throwing the ball, must be standing on the touch line, and must not be allowed a run." Also, goalkeepers were to be given more protection and could only be charged when in possession of the ball.        

Results 1894/95

First Eleven
18/08/1894 Kilmarnock Athletic 2 Queen's Park 3
01/09/1894 Queen's Park 2 Third Lanark 3
08/09/1894 Linthouse 1 Queen's Park 2
15/09/1894 Rangers 2 Queen's Park 0 - Glasgow Cup
22/09/1894 Queen's Park 3 Hibernian 2
27/09/1894 Newton Heath (Manchester) 3 Queen's Park 3
29/09/1894 Queen's Park 3 Renton 0
06/10/1894 St Mirren 3 Queen's Park 1
13/10/1894 Queen's Park 8 Battlefield 2
20/10/1894 Queen's Park 1 Sunderland 8
27/10/1894 Third Lanark 1 Queen's Park 2
03/11/1894 Queen's Park 4 Stoke 1
10/11/1894 Kilmarnock 2 Queen's Park 3
17/11/1894 Vale of Leven 0 Queen's Park 8
24/11/1894 Celtic 4 Queen's Park 1 - Scottish Cup
01/12/1894 Queen's Park 1 Hibernian 4
08/12/1894 Queen's Park 4 Celtic 0
15/12/1894 Queen's Park 2 Rangers 4
22/12/1894 Queen's Park 8 Ayr Parkhouse 3
29/12/1894 Queen's Park 8 Leith Athletic 3
01/01/1895 Queen's Park 2 Corinthians (London) 3
19/01/1895 King's Park (Stirling) 2 Queen's Park 1 (unofficial)
23/02/1895 Hibernian 3 Queen's Park 2
09/03/1895 Corinthians (London) 4 Queen's Park 0
16/03/1895 Rangers 2 Queen's Park 2
23/03/1895 Queen's Park 3 Third Lanark 0
30/03/1895 King's Park (Stirling) 1 Queen's Park 3
06/04/1895 Celtic 0 Queen's Park 4
13/04/1895 Dundee 0 Queen's Park 2
15/04/1895 Sunderland 3 Queen's Park 4
20/04/1895 Leith Athletic 4 Queen's Park 5
27/04/1895 Queen's Park 4 Renton 1
01/05/1895 Ayr Parkhouse 5 Queen's Park 8
08/05/1895 Queen's Park 1 Heart of Midlothian 0
14/05/1895 Queen's Park 0 Celtic 1 - Glasgow Charity Cup
18/05/1895 Heart of Midlothian 1 Queen's Park 1
21/05/1895 Johnstone 2 Queen's Park 3

Second Eleven - The Strollers
08/09/1894 Strollers 5 2nd Dumbarton 3 (at Celtic Park) - Scottish Second XI Cup
15/09/1894 Alva 0 Strollers 10
22/09/1894 Lochwinnoch 0 Strollers 3
29/09/1894 2nd Third Lanark 3 Strollers 3 - Scottish Second XI Cup
06/10/1894 Strollers 8 2nd Third Lanark 0 - Scottish Second XI Cup replay
13/10/1894 Alloa Athletic 3 Strollers 8
20/10/1894 Strollers 5 2nd Hamilton Academical 0 - Scottish Second XI Cup
27/10/1894 Bathgate 1 Strollers 5
03/11/1894 Kilsyth Wanderers 3 Strollers 7
10/11/1894 2nd Falkirk 2 Strollers 5 - Scottish Second XI Cup
17/11/1894 2nd Third Lanark 3 Strollers 4
08/12/1894 2nd Dundee 0 Strollers 6 - Scottish Second XI Cup semi-final
15/12/1894 2nd Battlefield 0 Strollers 1
29/12/1894 Stevenston Thistle 2 Strollers 3
02/02/1895 2nd Heart of Midlothian 3 Strollers 1 - Scottish Second XI Cup Final (Cathkin Park)
23/02/1895 2nd Dunfermline 1 Strollers 1
02/03/1895 2nd Clyde 2 Strollers 3
30/03/1895 2nd Morton 1 Strollers 1
06/04/1895 Clackmannan 1 Strollers 4
20/04/1895 St Johnstone 2 Strollers 5
25/04/1895 2nd Third Lanark 1 Strollers 4 - Glasgow Reserve X1 Cup semi-final
27/04/1895 2nd Leith Athletic 5 Strollers 1
09/05/1895 Strollers 0 Rangers Ibrox XI 2 - Glasgow Reserve XI Cup Final (Cathkin Park)
18/05/1895 Largs Thistle 0 Strollers 2

Third Eleven - The Hampden Eleven
08/09/1894 Bathgate 2 Hampden Eleven 3
22/09/1894 Union (Helensburgh) 3 Hampden Eleven 6
29/09/1894 West Calder Wanderers 3 Hampden Eleven 3
20/10/1894 Troon 3 Hampden Eleven 5
10/11/1894 Dalry 5 Hampden Eleven 4
24/11/1894 2nd Airdrieonians 1 Hampden Eleven 0
01/12/1894 Victoria (Renfrew) 0 Hampden Eleven 3
15/12/1894 Glasgow Perthshire 2 Hampden Eleven 2
22/12/1894 Jordanhill 2 Hampden Eleven 2
05/01/1895 Maryhill 2 Hampden Eleven 2
19/01/1895 Strathclyde 5 Hampden Eleven 1
02/03/1895 Troon 1 Hampden Eleven 6
23/03/1895 2nd Stevenston Thistle 0 Hampden Eleven 4
13/04/1895 Hampden Eleven 4 Greenock Volunteers 1

Fourth Eleven - The Victoria Eleven
29/09/1894 Troon 6 Victoria Eleven 2
06/10/1894 Tillicoultry Victoria 4 Victoria Eleven 7
17/11/1894 Airdrie West-End 2 Victoria Eleven 1
08/12/1894 Park Thistle 4 Victoria Eleven 2
29/12/1894 Havelock Athletic 1 Victoria Eleven 2
16/03/1895 2nd Vale of Leven 1 Victoria Eleven 0
06/04/1895 Largs Thistle 0 Victoria Eleven 5
13/04/1895 Sharp's FP's (Perth) 2 Victoria Eleven 2
20/04/1895 Tillicoultry Victoria 4 Victoria Eleven 4
27/04/1895 Union (Helensburgh) 2 Victoria Eleven 3

Other Matches
04/08/1894 Celtic 1 Queen's Park XI 1
25/08/1894 Newton Stewart Athletic 0 Queen's Park XI 6
04/05/1895 Victoria United (Aberdeen) 2 Queen's Park XI 2

Representative Matches
20/10/1894 East of Scotland 3 Glasgow 3
23/03/1895 Wales 2 Scotland 2
30/03/1895 Scotland 3 Ireland 1
06/04/1895 England 3 Scotland 0

No comments:

Post a Comment