Season 1898/99

As the start of season 1898/99 approached, The Scottish Referee made reference to Queen's Park's lonely position outside the Scottish League structure. The publication commented on Queen's now advertising for fixtures when, in times gone by, the club's difficulty was in having to turn down the numerous sides anxious to play against the Spiders. There was speculation about the possibility of Queen's joining the Scottish League in season 1899/00.

Queen's Park's closed sports, restricted to members of the club, took place at Hampden Park on 16, 17 and 18 August.

Queen's Park's first outing of the season was on Saturday 27 August 1898 with a trip to Kirkcudbrightshire to play Castle Douglas Wanderers. The Spiders won 12-2. Vernon and Richardson were on target for the Wanderers but the Queen's scorers are unclear. However, it is known that Bob McColl got at least five of the goals. 

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park welcomed fellow amateur side Ayr Parkhouse to Hampden Park. The 2,000 spectators were treated to a feast of goals, with Queen's winning 7-5. Bob McColl scored six of the Spiders' total, with David Wilson getting the other goal. Fyfe scored a hat trick for Parkhouse, with the other two goals coming from Spence and Long.

David Wilson

Queen's were at home again on Saturday 10 September, with Airdrieonians the visitors to Hampden Park. The Spiders faced a strong wind and bright sun in the first half but took a well-earned lead in 15 minutes through Bob McColl. The same player then doubled the advantage with a penalty kick. John Boyd pulled a goal back for Airdrie but Dyke Berry restored Queen's two-goal lead before the interval. Second half goals from McColl, Berry and James Long (Ayr Parkhouse) gave Queen's Park a 6-1 victory. The attendance at the match was 1,000. This was the third meagre attendance in a row and highlighted Queen's Park's difficulty in arranging fixtures attractive to the public.

On Saturday 17 September, Queen's Park were in competitive action for the first time in the new season. The occasion was a Glasgow Cup first round tie with Partick Thistle at Hampden Park. The team that took the field was - Kenny Anderson; John Gillespie and Davie Stewart; James Irons, John Clarkson and James Templeton; David Wilson, Hugh Butler, Bob McColl, Davidson "Dyke" Berry and Robert Lambie. Queen's had most of the play in the first half and took a 2-0 lead through Hugh Butler and David Wilson but, just on half-time, Robert Gray pulled a goal back for Thistle. Fine goals from Robert Lambie and Bob McColl in 50 and 60 minutes extended the lead to 4-1. At that point, Partick Thistle goalkeeper Tom Scott had to go off injured and his side were down to ten men. Left back Andrew Wilson took over in goal but no sooner had he taken up the post than he was beaten by Robert Lambie.  He then handed over to Jamie Auchincloss. The second stand-in 'keeper did well but was beaten by Bob McColl to make the final score 6-1. 

A week later, Queen's Park had an away game against Leith Athletic at Beechwood Park in Leith. The counter attractions of league matches at Easter Road and Tynecastle kept the crowd down to around 2,000.  Robert Lambie gave Queen's a 1-0 lead at the interval. The Spiders attacked constantly in the early stages of the second half and goals from David Wilson and Robert Lambie extended the lead to 3-0. Queen's had been playing within themselves and eased off a little too much in the closing minutes, allowing Alex Dryburgh and Alex Gardener to pull two goals back for the home side. The final 3-2 scoreline was misleading. Queen's Park should have won by a much greater margin.

Monday 26 September was the Glasgow Autumn Holiday and Queen's Park took advantage of the holiday to arrange a challenge match with Sunderland at Hampden Park. The weather was very good and the pitch in excellent condition. The 15,000 spectators were treated to a fine match. There was an unfortunate start to the game, with Hugh Butler injured in the first five minutes and being no more than a passenger thereafter. Despite the handicap, Queen's Park took the lead in 30 minutes and it was the lame Butler who was on the end of a Robert Lambie cross. Sunderland came more into the game and Bill Raisbeck equalised with a header on the stroke of half-time. Hugh Butler could take no further part in the contest. The ten men were holding their own but, in 50 minutes, John Ritchie deflected the ball into his own net, giving the Englishmen the lead. As the half progressed, James Irons also had to retire injured and, with five minutes to go, centre half Dick Jackson extended Sunderland's advantage with a long drive. A worry for Queen's was that Hugh Butler, John Gillespie, James Irons and Bob McColl were all limping as they left the ground.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park travelled to Merchiston Park in Bainsford, near Falkirk, to meet East Stirlingshire. The Queen's side was made up of a mixture of first and second eleven players. John Ritchie failed to turn up for the match and Archibald of East Stirlingshire filled his position at left back in the Spiders' line-up. A crowd of over 3,000 saw Queen's Park have most of the play in the first half but end up 2-0 down at the interval. McKie scored both goals. In a well-contested second half, 'Shire scored two further goals through Fairbairn (2). Queen's, on the other hand, missed easy chances and suffered a 4-0 defeat.

Following the defeat in Bainsford, Queen's Park had friendly matches with Port Glasgow Athletic, Linthouse and Renton at Hampden Park. There were only small attendances at each match. Queen's were beaten 3-1 by Port Glasgow Athletic, the holders of the Scottish Qualifying Cup. Duncan McCorquodale and Bill Smith gave the visitors a two-goal lead but Robert Lambie pulled one back with a header. Queen's passed up a number of chances to equalise and were made to pay when Port Glasgow scored a third from a scrimmage in the dying seconds. The match with Linthouse was spoiled to some extent by a strong wind. Queen's won 4-2 with goals from David Wilson, Robert Lambie, Dyke Berry and Willie Stewart. Archie Scott scored twice for Linthouse. The match with Renton was a tale of two halves. Playing with the wind, the visitors took an early 3-0 lead, with goals from Trail, Baird and McLean. It is hard to know which McLean scored the third goal - there were four McLean brothers in the Renton team. Queen's did not appear to be taking the game too seriously but nevertheless fought back to win 4-3. The Spiders' scorers were Bob McColl (2), Willie Stewart and either David Wilson or Dyke Berry (reports varied).

After a series of games that were not of any great significance, Queen's Park were back in serious action on Saturday 29 October with the semi-final of the Glasgow Cup against Third Lanark at Cathkin Park. The 17,000 spectators, on a lovely afternoon, saw a rousing spectacle. Queen's Park started the better and took the lead in around 15 minutes through Bob McColl after a fine forward move. Goalkeeper Alex Milne possibly could have done more to prevent the goal. Queen's continued to dominate but, as the interval approached, Third Lanark came more into the game and equalised from a Gillespie header. The Spiders responded almost immediately and Bob McColl made the score 2-1 with "as fine a shot as has been seen this season." Queen's Park still did more of the attacking after the break and should have increased their lead. In the last ten minutes, however, the Volunteers had a good spell and could have drawn level but for erratic shooting. Queen's held on for a deserved, if somewhat unexpected, victory.

On Saturday 5 November, Queen's Park were at home to Paisley side Abercorn. Queen's had the upper hand throughout on a wet and stormy afternoon. The Spiders were not at full strength, with the following week's Glasgow Cup Final in mind, but eased to a 4-0 victory. The goals came from Bob McColl (2), Tom Bowie and David Wilson. Abercorn lost their goalkeeper to injury early in the second half, with Queen's two ahead at the time.

The Glasgow Cup Final, the second biggest club match in the country after the Scottish Cup Final, took place at Third Lanark's Cathkin Park on Saturday 12 November 1898. Despite admission charges having been doubled, there was an attendance of 16,000. Queen's Park went into the match without David Wilson who was suffering from a throat complaint. Queen's, playing with the wind, had the better of a goalless first half and should have been a couple of goals ahead at the interval. The closest they came was when Bob McColl hit the bar. Early in the second half, Bob Hamilton missed a great chance to put Rangers ahead. The Spiders soon regained the initiative and took the lead in 65 minutes amidst what the Glasgow Herald described as "... such a scene of enthusiasm as probably never was witnessed before on Cathkin Park." Rangers' goalkeeper Matt Dickie parried a Willie Stewart shot and Nicol Smith, in attempting to stop Stewart scoring from the rebound, put the ball in his own net. Both sides then went close but the game ended in a deserved, if totally unexpected, 1-0 win for Queen's Park. The Spiders' side that won the Glasgow Cup for the third time was - Kenny Anderson; John Gillespie and David Stewart; James Irons, Alex Christie and James Templeton; Willie Stewart, Tom Bowie, Bob McColl, Dyke Berry and Robert Lambie. The cup was presented to Queen's Park that evening in the Alexandra Hotel in Bath Street.

The Spiders' victory proved popular all across Scotland. Congratulatory telegrams poured in. The Daily Record commented, "The latest victory of the representatives of Hampden Park is one of the brightest achievements in the history of the old club." The Scottish Referee said, "Not only in this but in any Scottish final since the institution of cups has a more popular victory been achieved by any team than that of Queen's Park against the renowned and hitherto invincible Rangers."

Queen's Park returned to Merchiston Park in Bainsford for the second time of the season on Saturday 19 November. On this occasion, their opponents were Falkirk Amateurs. A crowd of 1,000 saw Queen's go into a 10-0 lead before Falkirk Amateurs pulled two goals back in the last ten minutes. The scorers for the Spiders were Bob McColl (4), Tom Bowie (3), Willie Stewart (2) and David Wilson. Callander and Gillespie replied for the home side.

On Saturday 26 November, Queen's Park were in London facing old rivals Corinthians at the Queen's Club. The match attracted a crowd of 4,000 on a wet, foggy afternoon. Queen's were without Kenny Anderson and James Templeton. They were replaced by T Crawford and Archie Swann. Corinthians were expected to win the match but Queen's Park earned a surprise, but thoroughly deserved, victory. After an even start to the match, Queen's gradually took control and went into the lead in 17 minutes with a Dyke Berry strike into the bottom corner. Ten minutes later, Bob McColl dribbled through the Corinthians' defence and finished with a fine drive to double the Spiders' advantage. Just before half-time, the home side pulled a goal back when a long shot by Gilbert Smith was deflected into the net off John Gillespie. In 60 minutes, Smith scored again with a lightning drive to draw his side level. Queen's Park got the winner in 75 minutes when Bob McColl gave 'keeper Campbell no chance after a brilliant piece of play. The Referee said of the match, "The winners played much better on the greasy turf than the losers."

Following the two terrific wins over Rangers and Corinthians, there was a big crowd at Hampden Park a week later for the visit of Dumbarton, despite wretched weather. Queen's Park won 8-2. The score was 2-2 at the interval, with Bob McColl and Robert Lambie netting for the Spiders and Lewis Mackie and William Speedie responding for Dumbarton. Queen's Park did pretty much as they liked in the second half, with six unanswered goals. The North British Daily Mail reported that the six goals came from an own goal and strikes by James Templeton, Bob McColl, David Wilson, Dyke Berry and Willie Stewart. However, other publications said that there were two own goals in the second half, scored by Morris and Mitchell. The Daily Record reckoned there were three own goals.

Queen's Park met Rangers again on Saturday 10 December. On this occasion, it was a friendly match at Ibrox Park. Rangers were without Dickie, Gibson and McPherson who were representing Glasgow in Sheffield. Alex Christie was missing for the Spiders. The 6,000 spectators saw Queen's Park earn a merited victory. Rangers, with the benefit of a strong breeze, made the running in the early stages and took the lead with a fine Bob Hamilton strike. The Queen's forwards gradually began to impact the game and Bob McColl ran through the Light Blues' defence to equalise. David Wilson hit the winner for Queen's in 60 minutes from a Lambie pass. Queen's had most of the play for the remainder of the ninety minutes but the Rangers' defence held firm.

James Templeton, Bob McColl and Robert Lambie had been selected to play for Glasgow against Sheffield but all three withdrew. They could not take any more time off work after the London trip only three weeks previously. The Glasgow team, without any Queen's Park players, was beaten 2-1 at Bramall Lane.

Queen's Park did not have a match on Saturday 17 December. The next fixture was on Christmas Eve, with Celtic visitors to Hampden Park. The 7,000 or so spectators were treated to a high quality, keenly contested match. Celtic scored an early goal from a scrimmage but Willie Stewart soon equalised. Dan McArthur made some excellent saves but could do nothing to prevent Dyke Berry giving Queen's the lead with a fierce drive. Queen's continued to press but, against the run of play, Jack Bell made the score 2-2. It was tough on Queen's but Bob McColl struck after a brilliant passing move to put his side ahead at the interval. As the second half progressed, Celtic's superior fitness began to tell. While James Templeton was off the field receiving attention, Bell equalised for Celtic with a splendid goal. Either John Divers or Willie Orr then made the score 4-3 in favour of the Parkhead men. Queen's did their utmost to find a leveller but to no avail. The Spiders had Andrew Baird in goal for the unwell Kenny Anderson. The consensus of opinion in the press was that, if Anderson had been in goal, Queen's Park would not have lost.

Queen's Park's last game of 1898 came on Saturday 31 December, with Vale of Leven their opponents at Hampden Park. Vale of Leven had been resurrected as an amateur club but were struggling financially. The Scottish Referee remarked that life and death for the young Vale rested on this match. Queen's Park were 8-2 winners. As was often the case, the identity of the goalscorers varied from newspaper to newspaper. The Glasgow Herald gave the Queen's scorers as McColl (5), Stewart, Berry and Lambie, with Rodger and McVean replying for Vale. The North British Daily Mail, on the other hand, opted for McColl (3), Berry (2), Stewart, Lambie and Wilson, with Rodgers and M'Intyre on target for the Alexandria side.

Two days later, the traditional New Year's Day game with Corinthians took place at Hampden Park. A record crowd for the fixture of over 21,000 saw Queen's Park win comfortably. The Spiders were three ahead at the interval with goals from Wille Stewart, Robert Lambie and Bob McColl. After the break, Bertie Corbett pulled a goal back for the Englishmen with a shot that 'keeper James Clark completely missed. Queen's hit back and, after David Wilson missed some very easy chances, Robert Lambie made the final score 4-1 with a cross shot.

The Spiders got their Glasgow League campaign under way on Saturday 7 January 1899 with a match against Third Lanark at Cathkin Park. Rain and sleet fell before and throughout the match and Queen's were unable to employ their normal style of play on the heavy and treacherous surface. There were few chances in a scoreless first half. Third Lanark took the lead after the break when Tom Gibbons chested home a cross from the left. James Gillespie then doubled the Volunteers' lead. With five minutes to go, Bob McColl pulled a goal back but it was too little too late. Third Lanark deserved their win.

It was Scottish Cup first round day on Saturday 14 January. Queen's Park had been drawn away to Kilsyth Wanderers but the clubs agreed to play the tie at Hampden Park. The deal suited both sides. It was convenient for Queen's Park and allowed Kilsyth Wanderers the opportunity to play at Hampden Park and to benefit financially from the arrangement. Queen's gave Wanderers £25 and 250 tickets for the game. Poor shooting by the Spiders' forwards kept the match scoreless until, in 35 minutes, Willie Stewart found the net with a fine long shot. Dyke Berry then doubled the lead. Two second half Bob McColl goals took the final score to 4-0. Queen's should have won by a much greater margin but missed chances and a magnificent display by Wanderers' goalkeeper Moffat kept the score down.

While Queen's Park were taking on Kilsyth Wanderers, goalkeeper Kenny Anderson was leaving Glasgow for Italy a bid to regain his health.

A week later, it was back to the Glasgow League for the Spiders, with a visit to Celtic Park. A fine, even game, played before a crowd of around 12,000, ended in a 2-2 draw. Queen's took an early lead through Robert Lambie after a splendid passing move. Bob McColl brought out two fine saves from Dan McArthur before Jack Bell, after having a goal controversially ruled out, equalised from close range. Approaching the interval, Celtic took the lead through John Divers. The home side had the better of the first thirty minutes of the second half but Queen's then took control and David Wilson levelled the score with a brilliant shot. Only a terrific McArther save in the dying moments prevented the Spiders from taking both points.

Due to fog and frost, all of the leading games were called off on Saturday 28 January, including Queen's Park's Scottish Cup second round tie with Hibernian. The Edinburgh side wanted to play a friendly match if the Hampden Park pitch was ruled unfit for a cup tie. Queen's refused, not wishing to put players at risk of injury on a dangerous surface. Weather conditions did not improve and the Hampden pitch was again declared unplayable a week later.

After the two postponements, it was third time lucky for the Queen's Park v Hibernian Scottish Cup second round tie on Saturday 11 February. The attendance at Hampden Park was between 11,000 and 17,000. The newspapers often simply guessed attendance figures in those days. Queen's Park made a sensational start to the game. After barely a minute, Dyke Berry fired a shot from distance high into the net. Five minutes later, Bob McColl doubled the lead with a shot in off the post. The Queen's forwards were in fine form and Willie Stewart set up Robert Lambie for goal number three. Dyke Berry or Alex Christie then made the score 4-0 at the interval from a Stewart free kick. Hibs were better after the break but their shooting was poor. Queen's Park were awarded a penalty kick when Willie Stewart was tripped by Robert Glen inside the 12-yard line. Bob McColl took the kick and gave 'keeper Pat McCall no chance. The Edinburgh men pulled a goal back in 75 minutes through William Porter but it was a mere consolation and the Spiders progressed comfortably into the next round of the competition. 

Queen's Park had only one week to wait for their Scottish Cup third round tie. The Spiders had been drawn at home to Celtic. There was a crowd of over 13,000 at Hampden, despite the admission charge having been doubled to a shilling. The Queen's Park Committee had decided to increase the cost of admission for safety reasons due to the limited accommodation at the stadium. David Wilson was still missing due to illness and the Spiders' side that faced Celtic was - Clark; Gillespie and D Stewart; Irons, Christie and Templeton; W Stewart, Bowie, McColl, Lambie and Berry. The weather was dreadful for the cup tie and the "classic slopes" of Hampden Park were shrouded in mist as the spectators arrived at the ground. Queen's made a great start to the game and took the lead in two minutes with a clever Tom Bowie goal. Johnny Campbell equalised for Celtic with a shot that 'keeper Clark should have saved and, a minute later, John Divers gave the Parkhead side the lead. Queen's were then awarded a penalty kick for an infringement by Davie Storrier and Bob McColl made the score 2-2 at the break. After a short interval, with light fading fast, the match got back under way and Celtic now took the initiative with two quick goals. Both came from free kicks into the goalmouth but it is unclear who got the final touch in each instance. The light was so bad that the press had given up taking notes. With 23 minutes to play, the referee called a halt to proceedings as he was unable to follow the play. Some of the Celtic players were not happy with his decision as Queen's Park had looked a beaten team. The vast majority of the crowd accepted that the referee had no other choice than to abandon the match but a section of the spectators invaded the pitch demanding the return of their "bobs". The two club committees met after the match and agreed that the tie should be replayed at Celtic Park on the following Saturday. The admission charge would be sixpence, as Celtic Park had a much bigger capacity than Hampden Park.

On Friday 24 February, The Scottish Referee reported that goalkeeper Kenny Anderson had sailed from Valencia on the Monday and was due back in Glasgow on the following day. It is not known if he was now in better health. 

There was a crowd of 32,000 at Celtic Park for the cup replay on Saturday 25 February. The absence of goalkeeper Kenny Anderson had been costing Queen's dear and Wilf Waller of Richmond AFC was brought in to face Celtic. The Parkhead men were on £10 a man to win the tie and an additional £20 to win the cup. The Parked pitch was very soft and cut up badly as the game progressed. Queen's started well but began to struggle as the playing surface steadily deteriorated. Celtic were more at home on the heavy ground. The first half of the match was goalless but Waller had been called upon to make a string of good saves. Davie Stewart was injured at the beginning of the second half and Alex Christie moved back into his position at full back. While Stewart was off the pitch, Celtic took the lead through either Johnny Campbell or Sandy McMahon. Davie Stewart returned but was limping badly and fellow defender Alex Christie was also now lame. Shortly after the first goal, Celtic doubled their advantage with a fine McMahon effort. Queen's did not give up and, in 80 minutes, Bob McColl pulled a goal back with a beautiful shot. Both sides were very unhappy with the standard of refereeing and McColl appeared to be yards offside when he received the ball for his goal. However, a few minutes later, he scored a goal that was clearly onside only for it to be disallowed. An exciting game, in which both sides gave their all, ended in a 2-1 victory for Celtic.

Trial matches for the upcoming international fixtures took place at Partick Thistle's Meadowside ground on Saturday 4 March. Dyke Berry, Alex Christie, James Irons, Robert Lambie, Bob McColl and James Templeton were all involved. 

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park were in London taking on Aston Villa in a match for the Sheriff of London Charity Shield. Mr T R Dewar had presented the shield in the previous season to mark his holding of the office of Sheriff of London. The match for the shield was to be between the leading amateur and professional teams of the season. Aston Villa were English league champions and Queen's Park had beaten England's leading amateur club Corinthians twice. The trophy itself stood approximately 6 feet by 3 feet and contained upwards of 500 ounces of silver. The Queen's Park party left Glasgow at 1.30pm on the Friday and stayed at the Howard Hotel in London. The match attracted a somewhat disappointing crowd of 16,000 to Crystal Palace. Aston Villa were on top for much of the first half but, as the interval approached, Queen's Park came more into the game. Queen's were much better after the break. Bob McColl had the ball in the net but it was disallowed for offside - a very tight decision. There were near things at both ends. Willie Stewart hit the bar and Fred Wheldon of Villa missed an open goal. There was no scoring after 90 minutes and the game went into extra time. Try as they might, neither side could find a goal and the match ended in a 0-0 draw. It had been agreed in advance that, if the match were drawn, there would be no replay and each club would hold the trophy for a period of six months. After the match, the two sides were guests of Mr Dewar in the Cecil Hotel.   

The Queen's Park team that earned a share of the Sheriff of London Charity Shield (the predecessor of the FA Community Shield) was - W H Waller; J Gillespie and D Stewart; J H Irons, A J Christie and J F Templeton; W S Stewart, D J Wilson, R S McColl, D Berry and R A Lambie.

Queen's Park - Season 1898/99
Back row (from left) - T A Bowie, D Berry, D Wilson and J F Templeton.
Centre row - C B Miller (Secretary), W S Stewart, J Gillespie, J Walker, J Clarkston and A McE Swan.
Front row - K L Anderson, R A Lambie, J Lawrence (President), R S McColl, D Stewart and J H Irons.
Inserts - W H Waller and A J Christie.

On Saturday 18 March, Bob McColl and Dyke Berry were in the Scotland side that beat Wales 6-0 in Wrexham. McColl scored a hat trick in the match. Queen's Park, with Tom Bowie and Gladstone Hamilton in place of McColl and Berry, played a Glasgow League match with Clyde at Shawfield Park. A crowd of around 5,000 saw the home side take the lead in ten minutes through Alex Crawford. After a further ten minutes, Tom Bowie equalised for the Spiders after good work by Hamilton and Robert Lambie. Queen's Park won the game in the second half by means of a rocket shot by Willie Stewart. Clyde won a number of corner kicks near the end and were unfortunate not to earn a draw.

Queen's Park were not in action on Saturday 25 March as snow wiped out the fixture list. There was one exception - Scotland v Ireland at Celtic Park. The snow was cleared from the Parkhead pitch to allow the game to go ahead. Dyke Berry, Alex Christie and Bob McColl played in a 9-1 victory for Scotland. Bob McColl scored three of the goals and Alex Christie was also on the scoresheet.

The final trial for the Scotland side to face England took place at Cathkin Park on Tuesday 28 March. The Home Scots beat the Anglo-Scots by three goals to one. There were no Queen's Park players involved.

Partick Thistle were Queen's Park's opponents in the Glasgow League on Saturday 1 April. A crowd of around 2,000 at Meadowside saw Queen's fail to take advantage of early opportunities. However, they eventually took the lead in 30 minutes through Robert Lambie. Just before the break, Bob Gray equalised for Thistle. The same player missed an early chance in the second half but Queen's then picked up their performance and two Tom Bowie goals, the first a fine individual effort, gave them a 3-1 victory.

Two days later, on Easter Monday, Queen's Park were south of the border for a challenge match with Sheffield Wednesday. Heavy showers restricted the crowd at Olive Grove to around the 5,000 mark. The match was very competitive from start to finish but both sides' shooting was weak. The first half was even. Wednesday applied a fair amount of pressure in the second period but Queen's should have won the match towards the end. Bob McColl brought out a magnificent save from Jimmy Massey in the Wednesday goal. The ball rebounded straight to James Templeton but he somehow shot wide of the empty net. Then, in the last minute, three Spiders' forwards completely missed an inviting ball across goal and the game finished in a 0-0 draw.

James Templeton

Queen's Park's second eleven, the Strollers, were also in England on Easter Monday. They were in Nottingham and beat Nottingham Forest Reserves 4-1 at the City Ground.

Queen's Park and Sheffield Wednesday met again at Hampden Park on Saturday 8 April. The 7,000 spectators were treated to an exciting ninety minutes. Queen's, with the benefit of the wind, were on top in the opening half but their shooting was wayward. They did, however, manage one goal through Tom Bowie. Wednesday were the better side in the second half and the Spiders' latest goalkeeper W Watt had to be on his mettle. The Queen's defence held firm and the match ended in a 1-0 victory.

A week later, Queen's Park and Third Lanark met at Hampden Park in a Glasgow League fixture. Queen's faced a strong breeze in the first half. The Spiders were noted for the quality of their play against the wind and led 1-0 at the break. Bob McColl was the scorer with a fierce drive. In 60 minutes, the same player doubled the lead after the finest move of the match. It was a deserved 2-0 win for Queen's Park before a crowd of some 8,000.

It was the Spiders versus the Wasps on Saturday 22 April when Queen's Park travelled to Alloa in Clackmannanshire to play Alloa Athletic. There was a record crowd of over 3,000 at the Recreation Grounds, with spectators five deep in places. Queen's won 2-1. Bob McColl scored both of the Spiders' goals, with Henderson replying for Alloa. 

Queen's Park's Glasgow League campaign continued on Saturday 29 April with a visit to Ibrox Park to take on Rangers. A high wind and a heavy pitch spoiled the game to some extent for the 12,000 spectators. In the first half, Rangers' goalkeeper Matt Dickie brought off several excellent saves before finally being beaten by a fine Willie Stewart drive. Queen's started the second half well but Rangers began to press and Neilly Gibson equalised from a free kick. Queen's forced the pace after that but, with Dickie in top form, the match ended in a 1-1 draw. On that same afternoon, Rangers 'A' became champions of the Scottish Combination League with a 4-1 win over Arthurlie.

Queen's Park now had three Glasgow League matches in eight days, each at Hampden Park. On Wednesday 3 May, Partick Thistle were the visitors. Queen's took the lead in four minutes. Willie Stewart was the scorer after a fine passing move. Shortly afterwards, Thistle's Willie Paul collided with one of his own team-mates and was unable to take any further part in the game. The ten men defended pluckily but Bob McColl doubled the Spiders' lead before half-time with a fine individual effort. The second half consisted almost throughout of a series of Queen's Park attacks. Bob McColl scored a further twice to make the final score 4-0.

Clyde were Queen's opponents on Saturday 6 May. With a strong wind at their backs, the Spiders applied constant pressure in the opening half but their finishing was poor. It was a similar story in the second half. Despite hitting woodwork several times, Queen's Park failed to score. They were made to pay with three minutes remaining when Clyde broke away and Martin Moran found the net. Queen's had contrived to lose a match they had been expected to win easily.

Celtic were the Spiders' Glasgow League opponents on Wednesday 10 May. Queen's were without Alex Christie, John Gillespie and Robert Lambie. A crowd of around 7,500 saw Celtic take the lead through Harry Marshall in only three minutes. Further goals from Johnny Campbell and John Divers made the half-time score 3-0 for visitors. Queen's Park played a bit better after the interval and Willie Stewart pulled a goal back. The Spiders looked likely to further reduce the deficit but goalkeeper Walter Henderson gifted John Hodge a goal. Then, in the last few minutes, Pat Gilhooly made the final score 5-1 for the visitors. It was a very disappointing Queen's Park display and left Celtic as champions of the Glasgow League. 

On Saturday 13 May, Queen's Park made the trip to Dunblane to play the local side at Duckburn Park. The match finished in a 2-2 draw. A strong Queen's side were twice behind.  Guthrie got both goals for Dunblane, with Dyke Berry also scoring twice for the Spiders.

Two days later, on Monday 15 May, the closing fixture of the Glasgow League took place at Hampden Park between Queen's Park and Rangers. Despite the pitch being very heavy, the two sides provided an entertaining encounter for the 4,000 spectators. Neither side was at full strength. Rangers took an early lead through Tommy Hyslop. Bob McColl equalised shortly afterwards but Jack Wilkie then put the Light Blues back ahead. Bob McColl tied the scores from a penalty kick before half-time. Early in the second period, John Campbell put Rangers 3-2 up and Hyslop added a fourth ten minutes later. Willie Stewart made the score 4-3 and Queen's then made a big effort to draw level but the Rangers' defence was too strong.

Queen's Park had been drawn against Celtic in the semi-final of the Glasgow Charity Cup and the match took place at Cathkin Park on Saturday 20 May 1899. The Spiders' side that took the field against the favourites to win the competition was - Wilf Waller; John Gillespie and David Stewart; James Irons, Alex Christie and James Templeton; Willie Stewart, David Wilson, Bob McColl, Dyke Berry and Tom Kennedy. A crowd of over 17,000 saw Queen's, with the benefit of a strong wind, press for much of the opening half but unable to score. Celtic got the only goal of the half when either Johnny Campbell or Jim Welford got the final touch to a free kick. Play was even in the early stages of the second period but Queen's lost a second goal from a Sandy McMahon shot that Wilf Waller should have saved. Celtic were now on the ascendancy and Campbell scored a third goal for his side with a fine shot off the post. Queen's now appeared somewhat demoralised and Sandy McMahon made the final score 4-0. It was a disappointing way for the Spiders to end the season. 

Although the season had officially ended, Queen's Park had one further game. It was a charity match with Third Lanark at Cathkin Park on Tuesday 30 May in aid of the National Burns Memorial and Cottage Homes, Mauchline. A healthy crowd of 4,000 attended the match, which Queen's won 2-1 with two Willie Stewart strikes. The Third Lanark goal came from a scrimmage.

Queen's Park's Annual Meeting took place in the United Presbyterian Church Hall in Langside Road, Crosshill on Wednesday 31 May 1899. James Lawrence was re-elected President. The club's finances were very healthy with a balance of £3,908. It was reported that the first eleven had played 42 matches, with 27 wins, 5 draws and 10 defeats. The second eleven, the Strollers, had played 33 games, with 18 wins, 7 draws and 8 defeats. 

The Queen's Park FC Sports took place at Hampden Park on Saturday 3 June. The competitors were all amateurs. The sports were a success but the absence of professional athletes resulted in the attendance being good rather than exceptional. In its preview of the sports, the Daily Record said, "Queen's Park deserve all the support that can be extended to them, for no club does more to cultivate the various branches of national sport than they."

At a meeting of the Glasgow Football League on Thursday 15 June, it was decided to dissolve the league and replace it with an Inter-City League. There would still be six clubs in the new league, with Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian replacing Clyde and Partick Thistle. Arthur Geake of Queen's Park was appointed President of the new league, with William Maley of Celtic Secretary and Treasurer (both had occupied these posts with the Glasgow League). 

The outstanding question at the conclusion of the season was whether Queen's Park would now join the Scottish League. One stumbling block was that Queen's were reluctant to travel on a Saturday before 12 o'clock.  

Results 1898/99

First Eleven
27/08/1898 Castle Douglas Wanderers 2 Queen's Park 12
03/09/1898 Queen's Park 7 Ayr Parkhouse 5
10/09/1898 Queen's Park 6 Airdrieonians 1
17/09/1898 Queen's Park 6 Partick Thistle 1 - Glasgow Cup
24/09/1898 Leith Athletic 2 Queen's Park 3
26/09/1898 Queen's Park 1 Sunderland 3
01/10/1898 East Stirlingshire 4 Queen's Park 0
08/10/1898 Queen's Park 1 Port Glasgow Athletic 3
15/10/1898 Queen's Park 4 Linthouse 2
22/10/1898 Queen's Park 4 Renton 3
29/10/1898 Third Lanark 1 Queen's Park 2 - Glasgow Cup semi-final
05/11/1898 Queen's Park 4 Abercorn (Paisley) 0
12/11/1898 Queen's Park 1 Rangers 0 (at Cathkin Park) - Glasgow Cup Final
19/11/1898 Falkirk Amateurs 2 Queen's Park 10
26/11/1898 Corinthians (London) 2 Queen's Park 3
03/12/1898 Queen's Park 8 Dumbarton 2
10/12/1898 Rangers 1 Queen's Park 2
24/12/1898 Queen's Park 3 Celtic 4
31/12/1898 Queen's Park 8 Vale of Leven 2
02/01/1899 Queen's Park 4 Corinthians (London) 1
07/01/1899 Third Lanark 2 Queen's Park 1 - Glasgow League
14/01/1899 Queen's Park 4 Kilsyth Wanderers 0 - Scottish Cup
21/01/1899 Celtic 2 Queen's Park 2 - Glasgow League
11/02/1899 Queen's Park 5 Hibernian 1 - Scottish Cup
18/02/1899 Queen's Park 2 Celtic 4 - Scottish Cup (match abandoned - darkness)
25/02/1899 Celtic 2 Queen's Park 1 - Scottish Cup (replayed tie)
11/03/1899 Aston Villa 0 Queen's Park 0 - Sheriff of London Charity Shield
18/03/1899 Clyde 1 Queen's Park 2 - Glasgow League
01/04/1899 Partick Thistle 1 Queen's Park 3 - Glasgow League
03/04/1899 Sheffield Wednesday 0 Queen's Park 0
08/04/1899 Queen's Park 1 Sheffield Wednesday 0
15/04/1899 Queen's Park 2 Third Lanark 0 - Glasgow League
22/04/1899 Alloa Athletic 1 Queen's Park 2
29/04/1899 Rangers 1 Queen's Park 1 - Glasgow League
03/05/1899 Queen's Park 4 Partick Thistle 0 - Glasgow League
06/05/1899 Queen's Park 0 Clyde 1 - Glasgow League
10/05/1899 Queen's Park 1 Celtic 5 - Glasgow League
13/05/1899 Dunblane 2 Queen's Park 2
15/05/1899 Queen's Park 3 Rangers 4 - Glasgow League
20/05/1899 Queen's Park 0 Celtic 4 (at Cathkin Park) - Glasgow Charity Cup
30/05/1899 Third Lanark 1 Queen's Park 2 (charity match)

Second Eleven - The Strollers
03/09/1898 Wishaw Thistle 1 Strollers 3 - Scottish Combination
10/09/1898 Stevenston Thistle 1 Strollers 1
17/09/1898 Motherwell 'A' 1 Strollers 3 - Scottish 2nd XI Cup
24/09/1898 Strollers 5 Third Lanark 'A' 1 - Scottish Combination
01/10/1898 Third Lanark 'A' 0 Strollers 2 - Scottish 2nd XI Cup
08/10/1898 Rangers 'A' 0 Strollers 1 - Scottish Combination
15/10/1898 St Mirren 'A' 3 Strollers 2 (at Celtic Park) - Scottish 2nd XI Cup
29/10/1898 Cartvale (Busby) 5 Strollers 5
05/11/1898 Albion Rovers 0 Strollers 2 - Scottish Combination
19/11/1898 Strollers 2 Johnstone 1 - Scottish Combination
26/11/1898 Strollers 4 Arthurlie 3 - Scottish Combination
03/12/1898 Third Lanark 'A' 2 Strollers 2 - Scottish Combination
10/12/1898 Johnstone 2 Strollers 1 - Scottish Combination
17/12/1898 Heart of Midlothian 'A' 2 Strollers 1 - Scottish Combination
24/12/1898 Arthurlie 2 Strollers 2 - Scottish Combination
31/12/1898 Paisley Academicals 2 Strollers 0
07/01/1899 Strollers 1 Albion Rovers 0 - Scottish Combination
14/01/1899 Stevenston Thistle 2 Strollers 4
21/01/1899 Strollers 2 Royal Albert (Larkhall) 1 - Scottish Combination
11/02/1899 Maybole 2 Strollers 3
18/02/1899 Bo'ness 1 Strollers 2
04/03/1899 Strollers 1 Third Lanark 'A' 0 - Glasgow Reserve XI Cup
11/03/1899 Strollers 2 Partick Thistle 'A' 4 - Glasgow Reserve XI Cup
18/03/1899 Strollers 2 Third Lanark 'A' 2 - Scottish Combination
25/03/1899 Alloa Athletic 1 Strollers 3
01/04/1899 Strollers 1 Wishaw Thistle 1 - Scottish Combination
03/04/1899 Nottingham Forest Reserves 1 Strollers 4
12/04/1899 Strollers 2 Rangers 'A' 5 - Scottish Combination
15/04/1899 Royal Albert (Larkhall) 7 Strollers 0 - Scottish Combination
20/04/1899 Strollers 4 Thornliebank 0 - Scottish Combination
27/04/1899 Strollers 2 Heart of Midlothian 'A' 2 - Scottish Combination
29/04/1899 Clydebank 1 Strollers 4

Third Eleven - The Hampden Eleven
03/09/1898 Kilmacolm 1 Hampden Eleven 6
01/10/1898 Alva Albion Rangers 2 Hampden Eleven 3
08/10/1898 Kilsyth Emmet 0 Hampden Eleven 2
22/10/1898 Vale of Grange (Bo'ness) 2 Hampden Eleven 4
29/10/1898 Old Kilpatrick 1 Hampden Eleven 1
05/11/1898 Lenzie 3 Hampden Eleven 2
12/11/1898 Ayr Parkhouse 'A' 0 Hampden Eleven 6 
26/11/1898 Moore Park (Govan) 2 Hampden Eleven 3
03/12/1898 Maryhill 0 Hampden Eleven 1
10/12/1898 Hampden Eleven 7 Busby Minerva 3
17/12/1898 Hampden Eleven 2 Towerhill (Springburn) 1
24/12/1898 Yoker Athletic 1 Hampden Eleven 2
02/01/1899 Cliftonville Olympic (Belfast) v Hampden Eleven - abandoned after 10 minutes
07/01/1899 Strathclyde 0 Hampden Eleven 1
14/01/1899 Renfrew Victoria 2 Hampden Eleven 4
28/01/1899 Dunfermline 2 Hampden Eleven 2
11/02/1899 Stewarton Cunninghame 1 Hampden Eleven 5
18/02/1899 Parkhead 1 Hampden Eleven 1
25/02/1899 Hampden Eleven 5 Dumbarton Amateurs 1
04/03/1899 Greenock Volunteers 3 Hampden Eleven 2
??/03/1899 Edinburgh University 2 Hampden Eleven 4
08/04/1899 Hampden Eleven 2 Milngavie 0
29/04/1899 Dunblane Reserves 2 Hampden Eleven 1
13/05/1899 Hampden Eleven 3 Ayr Parkhouse Reserves 1

Fourth Eleven - The Victoria Eleven
27/08/1898 East Kilbride Rovers 0 Victoria Eleven 5
10/09/1898 Gourock Victoria 0 Victoria Eleven 4
17/09/1898 Dumbarton Victoria 5 Victoria Eleven 1
01/10/1898 Ayr Victoria 2 Victoria Eleven 3
15/10/1898 Cartside Juniors (Johnstone) 2 Victoria Eleven 0
22/10/1898 Johnstone Hibernian 3 Victoria Eleven 2
29/10/1898 Howwood United 1 Victoria Eleven 5
26/11/1898 Kilmacolm 3 Victoria Eleven 2
10/12/1898 Stewarton Juniors 2 Victoria Eleven 9
17/12/1898 Calderbank Volunteers 1 Victoria Eleven 1
24/12/1898 Saltcoats Victoria Juniors 4 Victoria Eleven 6
21/01/1899 Springhill (Barrhead) 6 Victoria Eleven 4
11/02/1899 New Cumnock Craigbank 2 Victoria Eleven 3
04/03/1899 Crieff Morrisonians 2 Victoria Eleven 3
11/03/1899 Alloa Seafield Thistle 0 Victoria Eleven 1
25/03/1899 Bridge of Allan Juniors 5 Victoria Eleven 2
01/04/1899 Kelso 1 Victoria Eleven 2
08/04/1899 Dunoon Rangers 2 Victoria Eleven 4
15/04/1899 Gourock Victoria 1 Victoria Eleven 2
22/04/1899 Saltcoats Victoria Juniors 4 Victoria Eleven 1

Representative Matches
18/03/1898 Wales 0 Scotland 6
25/03/1899 Scotland 9 Ireland 1
08/04/1899 England 2 Scotland 1

No comments:

Post a Comment