Season 1887/88

Queen's Park commenced season 1887/88 with three friendly matches. The teams fielded by the Spiders would have been what were described at the time as scratch sides - a combination of players from the club's three teams. The date of the first match is unclear. Scottish Athletic Journal reported on 2 August 1887 that a scratch Queen's Park side had won 6-1 at Braidwood "the other evening". Apparently, the population of the Lanarkshire village had turned out en masse for the game. The second match took place on Saturday 30 July. The Ancient Order of Foresters had organised a four-team 11-a-side football competition as part of a sports day. A Queen's Park side, which included Gow of Rangers and Hill of Airdrieonians, was beaten 1-0 by 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers. The Volunteers lost 1-0 to Dumbarton in the final.

The Spiders visited Uddingston on Thursday 11 August for the third of the pre-season friendlies. A side comprising a mixture of first and second eleven players won 3-1. Two of the goals were scored by Paul and Finlay. Two days later, John Cherrie and Alex Hamilton played for a Glasgow side against Dumbartonshire at the Public Park in Rothesay in aid of the Rothesay Bazaar Fund. Glasgow lost by three goals to one.

In the previous season, Queen's Park had provided some training facilities for local junior side Victoria. The Queen's Park Committee now decided to permit Victoria the use of the club's ground at Myrtle Park, known as "Little Hampden", and put up a "small structure" for Victoria's visitors. As yet, there was no formal connection between the two clubs.

Queen's Park's first proper match of the season took place on Saturday 27 August 1887 with the visit of Dumbarton to Hampden Park. A crowd of 4,000 saw the Spiders achieve a 5-3 victory. Details of the goalscorers varied from report to report. However, four of the Queen's goals are thought to have come from Willie Berry, Jimmy Hamilton, Alex Hamilton and John "Jack" Harvie. The Queen's Park team was - George Gillespie; Walter Arnott and Bob Smellie; James Macara, Jack Harvie and John Hill; Willie Berry, Alex Hamilton, Jimmy Hamilton, John Lambie and David Allan.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park were in action in the first round of the Scottish Cup. Their opponents were Clyde at Barrowfield Park in Bridgeton and there were close on 5,000 spectators in attendance. Queen's won the tie 7-0. The Spiders had been expected to win the match but the margin of victory was unexpected. The goalscorers are anyone's guess as the Glasgow Herald, North British Daily Mail and Scotsman reports varied enormously. Scottish Referee reported that Jimmy Hamilton and Johnny Lambie both scored hat tricks, with David "Davie"Allan possibly claiming the other goal. Scottish News went for Lambie (4), J Hamilton (2) and Allan.

On Saturday 10 September, Queen's Park beat Rangers 4-2 at Ibrox Park. A crowd of around 4,000 attended on a day marred by heavy showers and a strong wind that made play difficult. Queen's were four goals ahead at the interval. Jimmy Hamilton scored the first two and either David Allan or Alex Hamilton got the fourth with a header. Goal number three came when a Lambie corner kick was forced home off 'keeper Chalmers' knee. One of the Hamilton brothers may have got the final touch. Rangers, with the wind at their backs, pulled back two goals in the second half through Fraser and either Brand or White.

A week later, Linthouse visited Hampden Park in the first round of the Glasgow Cup. Queen's had opposed the creation of the competition but, after some consideration, decided to take part. The ground at Hampden was heavy after rain but this did not prevent Queen's Park cruising to an 11-0 victory. Again the goalscorers are unclear but it appears that Johnny Lambie scored at least three times and Alex Hamilton at least twice. Jimmy Hamilton and David Allan were also on the scoresheet. Scottish News gave the first six scorers as J Hamilton, J Lambie (3), A Hamilton and a Paxton own goal.

The cup ties were coming thick and fast. On Saturday 24 September, Kelvinside Athletic, a YMCA side, were visitors to Hampden Park for a Scottish Cup second round match. A small crowd saw the Spiders stroll to a 9-0 victory. Queen's were seven up at half-time through Jimmy Hamilton (2), Willie Berry (2), Johnny Lambie, David Allan and goalkeeper Archie Rowan. Goalkeepers could handle the ball anywhere in their own half in those days and took a much greater part in general play than their counterparts today. Johnny Lambie and David Allan got the two second half goals.

A week later, Queen's Park made their first visit to the Dunbartonshire village of Renton. Both sides were unbeaten in the season to date and there was considerable interest in the match, with around 4,000 spectators in attendance. Despite doing plenty of attacking, Queen's went down to a 4-1 defeat. The Spiders' goal came in 80 minutes when David Allan collected an Alex Hamilton pass to score.

On Saturday 8 October, Queen's Park met Cambuslang at Hampden Park. The match attracted a crowd of around 2,000. John Auld made his debut for the Spiders. Johnny Lambie gave Queen's the lead in 55 minutes but, shortly before the final whistle,  Cambuslang scored a well-deserved equaliser through Bryden.

A week later, Queen's Park hosted Dunbartonshire side Jamestown in the third round of the Scottish Cup. A crowd of around 2,500 saw a 3-0 home victory. J Boyd of the second eleven replaced Alex Hamilton who was unable to play. Queen's opened the scoring in 15 minutes through either Jimmy Hamilton or George Somerville (reports varied). Willie Berry doubled the lead from a scrimmage and Jimmy Hamilton added a third. But for the performance of Cunningham in the Jamestown goal and numerous missed opportunities by the Queen's Park forwards, the margin of victory would have been much greater.

On the following Saturday, Morton were the visitors to Hampden Park. A crowd of about 3,000 on a fine day saw Queen's Park win 8-1. The display of the forwards was much improved from the previous week. Morton took the lead from a scrimmage but David Allan equalised in 30 minutes. With the wind at their backs, Queen's scored seven unanswered goals in the second half. The scorers of the first five of these were Jimmy Hamilton, David Allan, George Somerville and John Hill (2). It is not known who got the final two goals.

On Saturday 29 October, Queen's Park were involved in an exciting Glasgow Cup tie with Glasgow Thistle at Hampden Park. The visitors took the lead on 15 minutes through Duncan. Queen's equalised on the stroke of half-time when Hume deflected a shot through his own goal. Despite being well on top, Queen's fell behind again when James Macara scored the second own goal of the game. The Spiders applied incessant pressure and were rewarded with only two minutes remaining when John Hill equalised from a scrimmage. Thistle were aggrieved at the award of the equalising goal, claiming that the ball went fully a yard wide of the post.

The replay with Thistle took place at Beechwood Park, off Dalmarnock Road in Bridgeton, a week later. The tie attracted a crowd of around 7,000 - possibly the biggest ever at the ground. Beechwood Park was small and ill-suited to spectating. As a result, many of those present only caught glimpses of the play, despite a second stand 120 feet in length having been erected in the days leading up to the game. Queen's Park were three ahead at the interval through a George Somerville hat trick. (One report credited Johnny Lambie with the third goal.) Queen's pressed throughout the second half but, despite Thistle playing the final 25 minutes with ten men, could not add to their 3-0 lead.

On Saturday 12 November 1887, Hibernian were the visitors to Hampden Park. The 7,000 spectators saw what was described as the best game of the season so far at the ground. Queen's Park took the lead in 15 minutes when Hamilton (unclear which one) volleyed home a Somerville cross. The Edinburgh men played some fine football in the first half and equalised in 30 minutes through a John Coleman header. In the second half, David Allan restored the Spiders' lead with a fine headed goal and victory was secured when James McLaughlan put the ball through his own goal in a desperate attempt to clear.

Queen's Park were back in Glasgow Cup action on the following Saturday. The competition was now at the semi-final stage and Cambuslang were the Spiders' opponents. A 5,000 crowd saw Queen's slump to defeat. The Scotsman mentioned "the little mining town sending a large contingent of supporters of the dark blues" and they were to return home happy. Cambuslang took the lead in eight minutes from a scrimmage following a throw-in. Queen's Park tried hard to retrieve the situation but it was Cambuslang who scored again in 80 minutes through the younger of the two James Gourlays. David Allan pulled a goal back in 87 minutes and Queen's pressed to the end but to no avail. The pitch was slippery, with falls frequent, and Queen's failed to reproduce the form shown against Hibs on the previous Saturday.

The Glasgow Cup

It was Scottish Cup time again on Saturday 26 November. Queen's Park's opponents in the fifth round were Partick Thistle. It had rained heavily all day and the pitch at Inchview was a quagmire. If it had not been a cup tie, the game would have been called off. Despite the conditions, the 2,500 spectators enjoyed an exciting spectacle. Queen's took an early lead through Jimmy Hamilton (Glasgow Herald and Scottish News)) or Johnny Lambie (North British Daily Mail) and had the better of the first half. The teams turned round immediately at half-time due to the prospect of premature darkness. In the second period, Queen's went close on a number of occasions and Thistle twice hit the bar. Then, with six minutes to go, the Spiders secured victory with a second goal. Due to the failing light, it was impossible for most of the crowd to see who scored but Allan Stewart was credited with the goal by the Glasgow Herald and Scottish News. After Queen's Park's defeat to Cambuslang a week earlier, many had fancied Partick Thistle to win the tie but Queen's deservedly went through to the next round. The Queen's Park side, according to The Scotsman, was - Gillespie; Arnott and Smellie; Macara, Auld and Hill; A Hamilton, Berry, Somerville, D Allan and Lambie. The fact that the goalscorers listed in the Glasgow Herald were not in the team line-up provided by The Scotsman highlights the difficulty in compiling accurate statistics for football in the Victorian era.

On Saturday 3 December 1887, Queen's Park's near neighbours 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers were the visitors to Hampden Park. A strong breeze made conditions difficult for the players. The Volunteers, with the wind advantage, went into a three goal lead through a scrimmage, Maley and McIntyre before Alex or Jimmy Hamilton pulled a goal back from a suspiciously offside position. Queen's took full advantage of the change of ends and scored four unanswered goals in the second period for a 5-3 victory. According to the North British Daily Mail, the goals came from Lambie, scrimmage, Lambie and J Hamilton. The Glasgow Herald, on the other hand, opted for Lambie, not known (3rd LRV claimed that the ball had not gone between the posts), J Hamilton and not known. The Scottish News preferred Lambie, not known and J Hamilton (2).

A week later, Edinburgh side Athenians were Queen's Park's opponents at Hampden Park. The visitors arrived a man short and Queen's veteran defender Charles Campbell stepped in to make up the numbers. The Spiders strolled to a 10-0 victory. So one-sided was the game that, at one point, Queen's goalkeeper George Gillespie took up a position in the middle of the field to watch proceedings. Queen's Park were three up at the interval. Left back Bob Smellie then switched positions with inside left Jimmy Hamilton at half-time and went on to score twice. The other scorers were George Somerville (4), Jimmy Hamilton (3) and Willie Berry.

On Saturday 17 December, Queen's Park and Vale of Leven Wanderers met at Hampden Park in the sixth round or quarter-final of the Scottish Cup. It was a very cold day and only around 1,500 to 2,000 spectators were in attendance. Queen's moved comfortably into the semi-finals with a 7-1 victory. Wanderers actually opened the scoring through a fine McNicol strike but the Spiders responded quickly through Johnny Lambie. Further goals from Alex Hamilton or Johnny Lambie, Johnny Lambie (2), George Somerville and Jimmy Hamilton secured the win.

On Christmas Eve, Queen's Park were in Preston taking on North End and suffered what the Glasgow Herald described as an "ignominious defeat". The Queen's Park players were "greeted by a hearty round of applause" by the 8,000 spectators. The pitch at Deepdale was soft and slippery after a thaw and this was to Queen's Park's disadvantage. The Preston Chronicle and Lancashire Advertiser reported that "According to Scottish Association rules, they (Queen's Park) wore bars instead of spikes on their boot soles." There was an ongoing debate in Scottish football about footwear. At that point in time, Scots clubs were at a disadvantage when underfoot conditions were slippery. Queen's actually took the lead in four minutes through George Somerville but Preston went on to score four goals before half-time. Jimmy Hamilton got a second for the Spiders in the second period but Preston scored a further three times to record a resounding 7-2 victory.

A match between 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers and Queen's Park had been scheduled for Saturday 31 December. However, Queen's decided not to play as they considered the Cathkin pitch to be too hard. 3rd LRV were unhappy at this decision. Several cartloads of sand had been spread on the playing surface and the Volunteers thought it quite playable. 

Queen's Park faced English opposition once again on Monday 2 January 1888 when Corinthians visited Hampden Park for the annual New Year's game. Several inches of snow lay on a frozen pitch but the game went ahead. Despite the conditions, a crowd of around 6,500 was in attendance. Corinthians took the lead through John Challen in the first half but Queen's went on to win 4-1. According to the Glasgow Herald, the scorers were - not known, J Hamilton, scrimmage and J Hamilton. The North British Daily Mail opted for W Berry, P Chalmers, J Hamilton and D Allan, The Scotsman favoured J Hamilton, not known, W Berry and J Hamilton and Scottish News went for J Hamilton, "rushed through", W Berry and D Allan.

On Saturday 7 January 1888, Queen's Park and Rangers, "the two leading Glasgow clubs" according to the North British Daily Mail, met at Hampden Park. The 5,000 spectators present saw Rangers have slightly the better of the first half but there was no scoring at the break. Queen's Park took the lead in the second half. Reports differed as to whether Jimmy Hamilton got the final touch or if it was a Donald Gow own goal. The Spiders were on top thereafter but John Gow equalised with a smart goal with five minutes remaining. There was no further scoring.

Queen's Park had been drawn away to Renton in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup and the match took place at Tontine Park on Saturday 14 January. There was a crowd of 5,000 in attendance, including a sizeable contingent from Glasgow, many of whom arrived on a heavily-laden train from Queen Street Station. This was the biggest crowd ever at Renton. Queen's Park were without John Auld who had strained a thigh muscle in the match with Rangers. He had been in fine form and his absence was a blow. Renton were in excellent form and were expected to win the tie. This is what transpired. The home side took the lead in 10 minutes through John Campbell. Almost immediately afterwards, the ball glanced off Walter Arnott's back for an own goal and Queen's were two down. There were two goals in the second half - one for either side. Renton's goal came from a scrimmage and Johnny Lambie scored for Queen's Park after one of the finest moves of the day. The final score was 3-1 to Renton and the Spiders' Scottish Cup campaign was over for another season. The losing Queen's Park side was - Gillespie; Arnott and Smellie; Stewart, Hill and Macara; Berry, A Hamilton, Lambie, Somerville and J Hamilton.

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park met Pollokshields Athletic at Hampden Park. Following the Scottish Cup defeat and the rival attraction of a Glasgow Cup tie between Cowlairs and Rangers at nearby Cathkin Park, there was a very meagre attendance. According to the Glasgow Herald, the North British Daily Mail and Scottish News, Queen's Park won 2-0. The Scotsman, however, gave the score as 3-0. All agreed that the half-time score was 2-0. The scorers were Johnny Lambie and Michael Grieve (making his debut) or M Grieve (2). If there was a second half scorer, his identity is not known.

On Saturday 28 January, Cambuslang beat Rangers 3-1 in the Glasgow Cup Final at Hampden Park and Glasgow, without any Queen's Park players, beat Sheffield 3-2 at Bramall Lane. Queen's Park players were invited to be part of the Glasgow side but declined. This could have been because they were unavailable to travel or maybe it was due to concern about the malaria epidemic in the Steel Town at the time. Meanwhile, Queen's were at Inchview to the west of Glasgow defeating Partick Thistle by three goals to two. Alex Hamilton (2) and Grieve were the Spiders' scorers.

A week later, while Renton were beating Cambuslang 6-1 in the Scottish Cup Final at Hampden Park, Queen's Park were in Edinburgh playing Hibernian at Easter Road. Queen's arranged to travel to Edinburgh by special train to ensure they arrived in good time for the game. The 4,000 fans at Easter Road saw a terrific game despite the pitch being very soft. There was a shock for the Spiders after only 30 seconds when James McGhee gave Hibs the lead. The Edinburgh men then went further ahead from a scrimmage. Queen's pulled a goal back when John Hill's shot from distance was deflected in by the head of James McLaren. A header by John Auld or Johnny Lambie made the scores level at the interval. Hibernian regained the lead in 47 minutes through Willie Naughton. Queen's Park drew level once again in 80 minutes with an Alex Hamilton header. The same player won the game for the Spiders when he went on a great run before beating John Tobin in the Hibs' goal. Scottish News described it as, "one of the smartest pieces of play seen on the ground for a long time." 

A contract was signed for the construction of a roof over the south stand at Hampden Park.

On Saturday 11 February, old friends Notts County returned to Hampden Park. The match attracted around 4,000 spectators on a dry, mild afternoon. The first twenty minutes of the match were fairly even before Ted Harker put County ahead. Shortly afterwards, Grieve equalised with a smart header. In the second half, with Johnny Lambie limping heavily, Billy Gunn put Notts County back into the lead. However, John Auld came to Queen's rescue when he fired a shot over 'keeper Jack Holland's head. It appears that the goalkeeper thought that the ball was going over the bar and made no attempt to save it. The game finished 2-2.

On the following Saturday, Walter Arnott, Willie Berry, George Gillespie and the two Hamilton brothers, Alex and Jimmy, were involved in a trial match at Ibrox Park for the upcoming international matches with England, Ireland and Wales. Queen's Park did not play on this day.

On Monday 20 February, the North British Daily Mail reported that, in the season to date, Queen's Park had played 25 matches, with 17 wins, 4 losses and 4 draws (101 goals for and 29 against). It has to be assumed that the match with Uddingston in early August did not fall into the "official" category.

George Gillespie and Walter Arnott played for Glasgow in a 1-1 draw with Edinburgh at Ibrox Park on Saturday 25 February. At the same time, Queen's Park played Dykebar at Thistle Park in Paisley and won 4-2. Woodville "Woody" Gray scored the first three Spiders' goals. It is not known who got the fourth.

On Saturday 3 March, Walter Arnott, John Lambie, Alex Hamilton and John Hill (as well as Bill Sellar as a Battlefield player) played in Glasgow's surprising 3-0 defeat to London at the Kennington Oval. Also on this day, a Queen's Park Eleven travelled to Dunfermline in Fife to take on a Dunfermline District team before an 1,800 crowd at Lady's Mill Park. Queen's were 6-0 ahead at the interval and took things very easily in the second half. The final score was 7-1.

On the following Thursday, the Scotland side to play England lost 4-1 to Rangers at Ibrox Park. This defeat, coupled with Glasgow's loss to London, did not bode well for the clash with the "auld enemy". The match at Ibrox was played at night, with "the ground brilliantly illuminated with 12 of Braby's sunlights" (Evening Times).

Two days later, Queen's Park and Renton met for the third time of the season before a crowd of 7,000 at Hampden Park. Grieve met a corner kick to open the scoring for the Spiders but Renton equalised when a Henderson drive glanced off Arnott's shoulder and through the goal. There was no further scoring. The Scotsman commented that Queen's Park's new centre forward A Scott had played well. On that same afternoon, Bob Smellie was a member of the Scotland side that beat Wales 5-1 at Easter Road.

Robert Smellie

Queen's Park were not in action on Saturday 17 March as it was the occasion of the annual Scotland v England match. The 17th meeting of the two countries proved pretty disastrous for the Scots who were drubbed 5-0 before a 16,000 crowd at Hampden Park. Walter Arnott, Willie Berry, Alex Hamilton and Johnny Lambie played in the match. Scottish Athletic Journal said of the defeat to England, "... posterity will look back on it as an event only paralleled by the national disaster which befell Scotland on the field of Flodden."

On Wednesday 21 March, the Glasgow merchants who formed the Charity Cup Committee decided that the teams who would compete in that season's competition would be - Renton, Vale of Leven, Rangers, Queen's Park, 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers, Dumbarton, Cambuslang and Hibernian.

Queen's Park played a return match with Dykebar at Hampden Park on Saturday 24 March. The visitors took the lead in 15 minutes after a defensive error. Queen's Park equalised in 48 minutes when 'keeper McLachlan allowed a Willie Berry shot to slip through his fingers. Queen's won the game when John Auld met a corner kick to score. On the same day, Allan Stewart played for Scotland and scored the final goal in a 10-2 victory over Ireland at the Cliftonville ground in Belfast. George Gillespie had been chosen to captain the Scotland side but had been unable to travel to Ireland.

On Saturday 31 March, Queen's Park met 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers at Cathkin Park. John Auld decided to sit out the game as he was a member of both clubs. The game was played in a strong wind and there was "much coarse play". The Volunteers took the lead in 15 minutes through McIntyre but Jimmy Hamilton equalised before half-time. There was only one goal in the second period. Bob Smellie was the scorer from a scrimmage to give the Spiders a 2-1 victory. After the match, a ceremony, including a "cake and wine banquet", took place to mark the opening of Third Lanark's new pavilion.

Soon after the end of the game at Cathkin Park, the Queen's Park players headed to Central Station to catch the train to Birmingham for their match with Aston Villa on the Monday afternoon. Although it was the Easter weekend, it was not easy for players to get away from work for trips down south. As a result, it was a scratch side, including three guest players, that made the journey to the Midlands. There was great interest in the game in Birmingham and 6,000 spectators turned out despite terrible weather. The Birmingham Daily Post described the game as "one of the fastest ever played at Perry Barr." After having had a goal chalked off for offside, little Willie Berry beat two defenders to put Queen's Park one up at half-time. Johnny Lambie then doubled the Spiders' lead from a Berry cross. Just before time, Albert Allan pulled a goal back for Villa. The Queen's Park side that achieved an impressive 2-1 victory over what was considered the second best team in England was - John Lindsay (Renton); Walter Arnott and Donald Sillars; Tom Robertson (Cowlairs), James Macara and Allan Stewart; Willie Berry, Jimmy Hamilton, Willie Paul (Partick Thistle), David Allan and Johnny Lambie. This was the first time in two years that Aston Villa had been defeated on their own ground.

Queen's Park's second eleven, the Strollers, were also in England on Easter Monday. Their opponents were the Greenheys club of Manchester. The Strollers won 9-4 at the Brook's Bar ground. The Manchester Courier reported that J Hamilton, Jamieson and Watt registered the goals for the Strollers.

Queen's Park Second Eleven - Season 1877/78

On the following Saturday, Queen's Park welcomed Dumbarton to Hampden Park. Despite the weather being fine, the match only attracted a crowd of around 2,000. Dumbarton were no longer the attraction they had been in previous years. Queen's had a very comfortable 6-2 victory, with three goals in each half. Jimmy Hamilton struck first in 15 minutes, John Auld scored a second with a long shot, and David Allan headed a third just before the interval. Willie Berry scored goal number four with a great shot, Woody Gray got number five with a well-judged effort after a brilliant run, and Alex Hamilton fired home number six from a Gray cross.

Queen's Park's next match was on Thursday 19 April 1888 when Renton met the Spiders in a Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup tie at Hampden Park. Despite extremely unfavourable weather, the match attracted a very large crowd. Johnny Lambie travelled up from London for the game and Alex Hamilton delayed a 3-month business stay in Copenhagen to take part. Renton took the lead in 15 minutes and doubled their lead 20 minutes later. Just before half-time, however, Alex Hamilton pulled a goal back from a Lambie pass. Shortly after half-time, Jimmy Hamilton hit the equaliser. Queen's pressed towards the end but failed to find the winning goal that their play deserved. After the match, Stewart Lawrie, the Queen's Park President, made a presentation to John Lambie on the occasion of his departure from Glasgow to London.

What was described as Scotland's International Team went on a short tour, playing a Perth side on Friday 20 April, Aberdeenshire on Saturday 21 April and Motherwell on Tuesday 24 April. Scotland won the matches 6-0, 6-1 and 2-1. It is not known exactly which players took part.

On Thursday 26 April, a scratch Queen's Park side lost 3-2 to 1st RRV in Greenock. It has to be assumed that it was a relatively weak Spiders' side.

Two days later, Queen's Park faced Preston North End at Hampden Park in a game that had attracted a good deal of attention. Preston sent their strongest side north and a crowd of around 6,500 witnessed the contest. Matters looked bleak for the Spiders when David Russell put Preston ahead in two minutes. However, fine goals by Willie Paul and Woody Gray gave Queen's a 2-1 win. Although a strong wind spoiled the game to some extent, there was great enthusiasm at the final whistle. The Spiders' victory was seen as a boost for Scottish football after the humiliating defeats suffered by Scotland, Glasgow and Queen's Park to English opposition previously that season.

The replay of the Charity Cup tie with Renton took place at Hampden Park on Wednesday 2 May 1888. The match was played in heavy rain. Play was pretty even in the first half but Renton scored the only goal of the half through Neil McCallum in 20 minutes. George Somerville and William Watt went close for Queen's. After the break, Renton got on top and, in 75 minutes, McCallum doubled the lead from a scrimmage. There was no further scoring and Queen's Park finished the season without a trophy. The Spiders' side that went down to Renton was - Gillespie; Arnott and Smellie; Macara, Stewart and Hill; Watt, Berry, Somerville, D Allan and Grieve.

On 8 May 1888, Scottish Athletic Journal reported that Queen's Park record for the season had been 25 wins, 4 losses and 6 draws; 187 goals for and 52 against.

As usual, Queen's Park players were involved in select sides in the weeks following the official end of the season, such as Thistle v Glasgow Bohemians, Clydesdale (Rutherglen) v Glasgow Bohemians, and Workington v a Glasgow select side to raise money for the sufferers of a colliery accident. However, the full Queen's Park side had one further tournament to take part in before they could rest for the summer. The International Exhibition of Science, Art and Industry, Glasgow's first major exhibition, was in progress in Kelvingrove Park. On Thursday 24 May, fully 10,000 spectators attended a four-team staged in the Exhibition Grounds. The competitors should have been Heart of Midlothian, Queen's Park, Rangers and Renton. There was great disappointment when Renton sent a telegram on the Wednesday stating that they would not be turning up. They withdrew when they learned that at least one of the other competitors intended to field players who were not members of their club. 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers stepped in to replace Renton. Queen's Park beat Hearts by four goals and six corners to one goal and one corner. Third Lanark beat Rangers in the second tie. After an interval of an hour, Queen's Park met Third Lanark in the final. Queen's proved victorious by four goals and four corners to one goal and four corners. The Spiders' goals came from Willie Paul (3) and George Hector. The winners received gold badges (medals) and the runners-up silver badges.

A further match involving Queen's Park players took place at the Exhibition Grounds two days later. The game was advertised as the Scoto-English versus the Scoto-Welsh, in other words the Scotland side that played England against the Scotland side that met Wales. The "Welsh" team beat the "English" team 4-3. Walter Arnott and Willie Berry played for the losing side and Bob Smellie for the victors.

On Saturday 2 June 1888, Renton played Preston North End at Hampden Park in a testimonial match for Queen's Park's long-serving full back Walter "Wattie" Arnott. Although the game took place at Hampden, Scottish Athletic Journal reported that "Queen's Park did not desire to countenance the match." Renton won 4-2. Bad weather restricted the attendance to around 6,000. Nonetheless, it was estimated that Walter Arnott earned at least £160 from the match - the equivalent of over £20,000 today. Not surprisingly, the issue of amateur players having benefit matches was proving contentious. It had been assumed by many that Walter Arnott was about to retire but that was far from the case.

Finally, there was good news for Scottish players at the end of June when the International Football Conference in Wrexham relaxed the rules on bars and studs on the soles of boots.

Results 1887/88

First Team
27/08/1887 Queen's Park 5 Dumbarton 3
03/09/1887 Clyde 0 Queen's Park 7
10/09/1887 Rangers 2 Queen's Park 4
17/09/1887 Queen's Park 11 Linthouse 0 - Glasgow Cup
24/09/1887 Queen's Park 9 Kelvinside 0 Athletic - Scottish Cup
01/10/1887 Renton 4 Queen's Park 1
08/10/1887 Queen's Park 1 Cambuslang 1
15/10/1887 Queen's Park 3 Jamestown 0 - Scottish Cup
22/10/1887 Queen's Park 8 Morton 1
29/10/1887 Queen's Park 2 Glasgow Thistle 2 - Glasgow Cup
05/11/1887 Glasgow Thistle 0 Queen's Park 3 - Glasgow Cup replay
12/11/1887 Queen's Park 3 Hibernian 1
19/11/1887 Queen's Park 1 Cambuslang 2 - Glasgow Cup
26/11/1887 Partick Thistle 0 Queen's Park 2 - Scottish Cup
03/12/1887 Queen's Park 5 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers 3
10/12/1887 Queen's Park 10 Athenians (Edinburgh) 0
17/12/1887 Queen's Park 7 Vale of Leven Wanderers 1 - Scottish Cup
24/12/1888 Preston North End 7 Queen's Park 2
02/01/1888 Queen's Park 4 Corinthians 1
07/01/1888 Queen's Park 1 Rangers 1
14/01/1888 Renton 3 Queen's Park 1 - Scottish Cup semi-final
21/01/1888 Queen's Park 2 Pollokshields Athletic 0 (one report gave the score as 3-0)
28/01/1888 Partick Thistle 2 Queen's Park 3
04/02/1888 Hibernian 3 Queen's Park 4
11/02/1888 Queen's Park 2 Notts County 2
25/02/1888 Dykebar 2 Queen's Park 4
03/03/1888 Dunfermline District Select 1 Queen's Park 7
10/03/1888 Queen's Park 1 Renton 1
24/03/1888 Queen's Park 2 Dykebar 1
31/03/1888 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers 1 Queen's Park 2
02/04/1888 Aston Villa 1 Queen's Park 2
07/04/1888 Queen's Park 6 Dumbarton 2
14/04/1888 Maybole 1 Queen's Park 9
19/04/1888 Queen's Park 2 Renton 2 - Glasgow Charity Cup
28/04/1888 Queen's Park 2 Preston North End 1
02/05/1888 Queen's Park 0 Renton 2 - Glasgow Charity Cup replay

Second Eleven - The Strollers
20/08/1887 Strollers 1 Queen of the South Wanderers 2
27/08/1887 Alloa Athletic 2 Strollers 2
03/09/1887 Irvine 1 Strollers 1
10/09/1887 Strollers 2 2nd Linthouse 3 - Scottish Second XI Cup
17/09/1887 Maybole 3 Strollers 5
24/09/1887 Newmilns 5 Strollers 4
01/10/1887 Strollers 1 Alloa Athletic 2
08/10/1887 King's Park (Stirling) 2 Strollers 5
22/10/1887 Camelon 3 Strollers 1
29/10/1887 Dunblane 2 Strollers 2
05/11/1887 Strollers 7 2nd Ayr Rifle Volunteers (Newmilns) 3
12/11/1887 2nd Hibernian 1 Strollers 3
19/11/1887 Dunfermline Athletic 2 Strollers 4
26/11/1887 Monkcastle (Kilwinning) 1 Strollers 3
03/12/1887 3rd LRV Swifts 0 Strollers 4
10/12/1887 Morton Strollers 3 Strollers 4
17/12/1887 Falkirk 1 Strollers 2
24/12/1887 Strollers 3 Kirkintilloch Athletic 1
02/01/1888 Campbeltown Athletic 4 Strollers 2
07/01/1888 Rangers Swifts 5 Strollers 1 (or 5-2)
14/01/1888 Strollers 3 Partick Thistle Swifts 3
21/01/1888 Wishaw Thistle 1 Strollers 2
28/01/1888 Port Glasgow Athletic 2 Strollers 1
11/02/1888 2nd Vale of Leven 0 Strollers 1
03/03/1888 Strollers 4 Irvine 1
10/03/1888 Grangemouth 1 Strollers 6
24/03/1888 Alloa Athletic 0 Strollers 4
02/04/1888 Greenheys (Manchester) 4 Strollers 9
14/04/1888 Falkirk 2 Strollers 1
05/05/1888 Queen of the South Wanderers 5 Strollers 1

Third Eleven - The Hampden Eleven
27/08/1887 Dunipace 3 Hampden Eleven 5
03/09/1887 Nethandale Swifts (Lesmahagow) 1 Hampden Eleven 6
13/09/1887 Hampden Eleven 4 The Scottish News 2
17/09/1887 Vale of Bannock 1 Hampden Eleven 9 (one report gave the score as 0-9)
24/09/1887 Alloa United 1 Hampden Eleven 2
01/10/1887 2nd King's Park (Stirling) 0 Hampden Eleven 7
08/10/1887 Grahamston 2 Hampden Eleven 4
15/10/1887 Dalry Athletic 1 Hampden Eleven 0
22/10/1887 Ensign (Ardrossan) 0 Hampden Eleven 4
29/10/1887 Yoker Athletic 1 Hampden Eleven 5
05/11/1887 Kirkintilloch Athletic 4 Hampden Eleven 4
12/11/1887 Kilbarchan 0 Hampden Eleven 1
19/11/1887 2nd Falkirk 1 Hampden Eleven 5
10/12/1887 Kilsyth Wanderers 0 Hampden Eleven 0*
17/12/1887 Uddingston 0 Hampden Eleven 0
24/12/1887 St Andrew's 1 Hampden Eleven 0
02/01/1888 Oban 3 Hampden Eleven 5 (one report gave the score as 3-4) 
04/02/1888 Kilbarchan 4 Hampden Eleven 1
11/02/1888 Kirkintilloch Athletic 7 Hampden Eleven 4
03/03/1888 Linlthgow Athletic 1 Hampden Eleven 3
02/04/1888 Campbeltown v Hampden Eleven (score not known)

*The Glasgow Herald gave the score as 0-0. The Scottish News said that the Hampden Eleven won 1-0. According to the Kirkintilloch Herald, Kilsyth Wanderers played 2nd 3rd LRV that day.

Other Matches
??/07/1887 Braidwood 1 Queen's Park 6
30/07/1887 Queen's Park XI 0 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers 1
11/08/1887 Uddingston 1 Queen's Park 3
26/04/1888 1st RRV 3 Queen's Park XI 2

Representative Matches
25/02/1888 Glasgow 1 Edinburgh 1
03/03/1888 London 3 Glasgow 0
10/03/1888 Scotland 5 Wales 1
17/03/1888 Scotland 0 England 5
24/03/1888 Ireland 2 Scotland 10

No comments:

Post a Comment